DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Beginner's guide to Morrowind modding

vometia

I've just reinstalled Morrowind after it took a two or three year hiatus from my PC. So far so good (well, ish: I still feel the call of the "everything and the kitchen sink simply must be installed!", but at least my old saves still load, apparently without incident) but the thing is, whenever I'm playing a TES or Fallout game I'm going to get that "hmm, that needs changing" thing on a regular basis.

Problem is, my knowledge of Morrowind modding is extremely scant. An excursion into Blender resulted in various bits coming out sideways and wonky, before crashing the game a few seconds later, so I suspect my technique could possibly do with some fine-tuning. Worse still, where I'd just fire up TES4Edit/FO3Edit/FNVEdit where an NPC's attitude needs adjusting or some stats need refining, I don't even know where to look with Morrowind. Well, other than Construction Set, but who uses that? ;)

So can anybody point me at idiots' guides to Morrowind modelling and tinkering?

Cursory Googling found this - but I haven't clicked on anything to verify live links. :lmao:

EDIT - Calislahn's page has some good info - many other links are dead.

Cursory Googling plus the right keywords, though. :uh:

Vom, maybe check out Great House Fliggerty. There`s a large community of MW folks there.

Thanks to you both: I'll check out the things in question. By trial and error I've "kind of" found a couple of solutions to things I wanted to prod and poke, but I wouldn't like to risk their possibly game-wobbling effects so I'll find out from those who know what they're doing. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't visited GHF yet: been preoccupied with another FO3 play-through and mod frenzy! I really need to get back into Morrowind...

Who can blame you for being playing fan of Fallout3 which I'm not, but I'm a playing fan of Morrowind (must be modded) with Oblivion (not so much these days) and Skyrim (who isn't). The boat is waiting for you. :D

• 4 months later...

I just got back into a little Morrowind Modding myself. There are good tutorials for everything except modeling in the help files for the constructions set. Start from help/contents/getting started/what is the onstruction set there are some good links there:

Data Files

The Object Window

The Render Window

The Cell View Window

I had made weapons and monsters modeling with 3d Studio Max 3 and putting them in the game/giving stats etc with the construction set. I don't remember all the details now. I think I had found some links to tutorials starting from the main Bethesta software site. But before I leave this almost useless post on here I will say this! : To get monsters to move you have to make them move along the Z axis (across the ground plane) like they are running or walking in your modelling program or they won't move in the game. It took me forever to figure that out, I remember that Haha! Also creature models have to have a "root" node. I don't remember the rest right now I'm just fooling around with the construction set and making towns with downloaded character mods in them as enemies for fun. Good Luck!