DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Community Picture Thread # 5

Beana

A community picture thread

The community Pictures thread is a nice little home for you to come and share your pictures, either of you or something else, example something you are interested in.

Be aware that this is not an open invite to post anything you wish, so no silly pictures and no videos, we have other threads for those.

1. No spam. Any post that is not informative or adding to the discussion is considered spam.

2. No trolling.

3. All rules of the forum apply here in the Community Picture Thread and are to be followed.

4. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse for breaking them.

5. If you observe someone breaking the rules, please either ask them politely to stop and explain nicely why or send them a nice PM. If it continues, report them to a moderator.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I competed in amateur racing at the time. Sprints would be more accurate - we were competing for lap times rather than track position.

After coming second to someone who had twice the racing budget, I decided that I had achieved what I set out to do and stopped racing before it bankrupted me. :P

I competed in amateur racing at the time. Sprints would be more accurate - we were competing for lap times rather than track position.

After coming second to someone who had twice the racing budget, I decided that I had achieved what I set out to do and stopped racing before it bankrupted me. :P

Which car did you drive? It sure was a smart idea to quit before you ran out of money. I'm also sure you'd beat him if you both had the same budget :P

This be me. I don't know why I was laughing but I do look strange...

03042010106.jpg

elParedon - that's a very interesting handle you have for that claymore. :P

I was driving an MX-5, or a Miata as it was know in the Americas. It was hopelessly underpowered (around 100 kW / 130 bhp) but its cornering speed is phenomenal (faster than a Porsche 911).

I think the #1 guy was slightly faster, but we were very closely matched at the beginning of the season before he installed some expensive mods. He was more of an instinctive "Senna style" driver whereas I was a more calculated "Prost style" driver. I think I had a slight advantage in dry conditions but he'd lap the field as soon as it rained.

Anyway, here's one racing action shot. I'll post more in a spoiler tag if anyone's interested.

n715319116_485962_47.jpg

Edited by Lanceor

Lots of racing pics with commentary. Spoiler tag just in case you don't like racing. ;)

n715319116_485942_7583.jpg

One of the earliest photos before my car became heavily modified. At the time, the only modifications were the racing seat, racing harness and rollover bar.

n715319116_485950_1595.jpg

From the amount of body roll, you can see that I handn't upgraded my suspension at the time. In later photos, you'll see the car sits a lot flatter after I added stiffer springs, dampers and sway bars.

n715319116_485951_1857.jpg

Once again, I need stiffer springs!

n715319116_485953_9634.jpg

I spun out at the twisty back section at Wakefield. In this section, it was necessary to keep accelerating around the corners to keep the rear tyres squashed into the tarmac. Because I entered too fast, I had to lift off the gas, causing oversteer and ultimately a spin.

n715319116_485955_167.jpg

This orange monster had about three times the horsepower I did but I had much faster cornering speeds. Our lap times were quite similar.

n715319116_485957_2565.jpg

Early in the morning before the racing begins, all competitors queue up for scrutineering. The scrutineers check that all the cars meet safety regulations.

n715319116_485983_1283.jpg

With experience, it is possible to get within a few centimeters of the apex, even while the car is sliding around at about 130 km/h.

n715319116_485987_2838.jpg

The ripple strips at Oran Park are very low and flat (most of them at least) so I simply just drive over them. This means I can increase the corner radius by a couple of feet, saving around 0.1 seconds per corner per lap!

n715319116_485972_5148.jpg

The guy in car number 78 is Rodd, my chief rival in the NSW Supersprints. We were always very closely matched, but he seemed just a little quicker more often than not.

I would describe his driving style as "instinctive", and his car control skills are most evident when it was raining. By comparison, I had a very "calculated" driving style, analysing braking and turn-in points down to within centimeters.

Racing him was always fun. :)

n715319116_536119_6563.jpg

Reducing weight is the cheapest performance modification you can make. Less weight makes the car accelerate faster. It will also handle and brake better as the tyres and suspension are under less load. I found that every 20kg of weight reduced would lower my Wakefield lap time by about 0.1s.

n715319116_485963_335.jpg

This photo shows what APPLY_HILIGHT can do for textures. :P

Great pics. I specially liked the one where we see the stripped down MX-5 and the one with the Mk1 MX-5 on the background.

I can see you raced with lots of other different cars. Must have been lots of fun, regardless of all the problems you might have ran into during your racing career.

One day I'd like to have a car just to take out to the track. Not necessarily to race with it but at least to attend some trackdays.

Guess I should jump on and get a picture of myself.

Too bad I got no good pictures of myself :smug: I do, however, got a 'lil picture of me on Snowboard.

img1016cl.jpg

Mind you, this was after 6 houres going down and I was rather tired, hence it looks like I am half asleep there :smug: And yeah, I love my green/lime colored pants! You always know who it is when something green crashes besides you!

Perhaps one day, I'll have a picture of myself :P

Cheers,

Matth