DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Creating a background for the character...

ZuTheSkunk

Okay, so... I'm not very knowledgeable about TES lore. And yet I need to create a character with background set possibly deep in this lore, or at least deep enough to be notable and not too generic (lore-less). So I need someone to help me in creating this background. Anyone willing to help?

The character I have in mind (NPC) is intended to be a Dunmer mage from Morrowind, living about 400 years before the events of Oblivion; he left his family (maybe one of these better known ones?) due to some rows. He's a lone wolf, a treasure hunter who prefers working alone and is interested only in collecting as much treasure as possible (perhaps to create his own great family?). He's somewhat disgusted with the idea of slavery, and feels ashamed by how beastfolk are treated in his homeland, so if he has an opportunity to make them free, he'll do it. He's not a type of kind soul though, as he helps only the beastfolk, and those who he consider worthy - he has no love for those who could do everything what they want, and yet they don't and they ask for unnecessary help. He's a type of professionalist who tries to collect as much information as possible and carefully examine the challenge (like going deep into the ruins) before doing it. He's a bitter one, and never tries to make friends around himself - is someone becomes his friend, then it's only this person's choice. He's neither nice nor naughty - he's just doing his job.

Now, how can I set him into the TES lore so he will possibly alive and believable, not too generic?

Hmmm, Queen Barenziah was born 2E 893 (437 years before Oblivion) and later had an affair with Tiber Septim. She became pregnant and the child was supposedly aborted, but what if it hadn't?

Barenziah was still around at the end of the 3rd era, suggesting that Dunmer have a 400+ year lifespan, so perhaps you can establish your character's history further back.

The other history references around that time seem to be mostly about Imperial Emperors Tiber Septim, Pelagius I, Uriel ! etc.

Hmmm, Queen Barenziah was born 2E 893 (437 years before Oblivion) and later had an affair with Tiber Septim. She became pregnant and the child was supposedly aborted, but what if it hadn't?

This suggestion lead me to this page, and while I can't say I like the idea of my character being the son of Tiber Septim (therefore a potential candidate for Emperor and the son of someone who became a god), he could be instead that mysterious third son mentioned in the article, with Jagar Tharn as his father. An interesting conception, indeed. :)

One thing that I want to know is: was the slavery already present in Morrowind during that time, in similar manner like it's seen in the MW?

I think slavery has always been present in Morrowind:

...slavery is now illegal throughout the Empire, but protected by law in Morrowind. This exception was granted by Tiber Septim in the Armistice of 2E 896 as a concession to the Dunmer, who saw the use of slaves as their ancient right.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Slavery

Barenziah's third child (whose whereabouts is a mystery) would be interesting. The father Jagar Tharn was the one who imprisoned Uriel Septim VII in TES1 Arena.