DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Why are NPCs so awkward!?

Mysterious Mr. Bear

Ok, so I created two characters that inhabit a one-room shop. They eat together at six, then again at 8. During the day, the man runs the store, standing behind the desk from 8am to 8pm whilst the woman does various tasks like reading or bow training. However, from 12am to 4pm, she has the package to wander around near the male, intending to get the two characters to talk quite frequently.

They just DO NOT TALK!!!! :P Eating in the morning and night, no words! Wandering around for four hours, she spoke to him once! I have added them to a faction with a 100 disposition bonus, put them in similar factions so they have convosations to have, turned invisible so I don't distract them.... I tried swapping her wander package to a find package with him as the target, which of course led to one breif convosation followed by an hour of her staring at his head grinning.

This is a bit weird to watch as the characters are man and wife... it's like being cought in some kind of medivial domestic! Any ideas on getting them to interact more often? Thanks,

Mysterious Mr. Bear :D :D

Have you tried making them both having a Wander package at the same time? And setting their Energy Level to 100 (what technically should cause them to wander around endlessly during these packages like having ants in the pants, increasing the probability of triggering a chat between them)?

If yes, then I can suggest only a scripted solution, like this:

scn nameofyourscript

short randomchance

float randomtimer

Begin GameMode

if ( getinsamecell player == 0 )

return

endif

if ( getcurrentpackage NameOfWanderPackage == 1 )

if ( randomtimer > 0 )

set randomtimer to ( randomtimer - getsecondspassed )

else

set randomtimer to 5

set randomchance to getrandompercent

if ( randomchance < 20 )

startconversation NameOfSecondNPC

set randomtimer to 60

endif

endif

End

If you will attach this script to the woman (after adding necessary REFs, of course), then there should be a 20% chance of starting a conversation with the man each 5 seconds. If they will start a conversation, then there will be a minute of recovery time before another possible conversation can be started (counting from the moment of forcing the woman to start the conversation). You can tweak this, if you like.

Hi zu, I adapted your script for use with my characters, and indeed after 5 seconds she goes and seeks him out and talks to him... but after that, nothing :/

Here is my adaptation of your script I have been using whilst testing (where one is called Catface and the other is called Bear) any ideas why this is happening? she still seems to be following the wander package ("AAMBtalktobear") but will not engage in convosation after the first time.

Thanks,

Proper use of 'tabs' helps ensure you have the proper number of If to EndIf commands. :)

return
endif

if ( getcurrentpackage NameOfWanderPackage == 1 )
if ( randomtimer > 0 )
else
set randomtimer to 5
if ( randomchance < 20 )
startconversation NameOfSecondNPC
set randomtimer to 60
endif
endif
???[/code]

oops, did I forget to post my code then?? :bagged: Good god....

SCN AAMBcatfaceSCRIPT

short randomchance

float randomtimer

Begin GameMode

return

endif

if ( getcurrentpackage AAMBtalktoBear == 1 )

if ( randomtimer > 0 )

else

set randomtimer to 5

if ( randomchance < 101 )

startconversation AAMBBearref

set randomtimer to 30

endif

endif

endif

End

And yeah, I allready fixed the ifs/endifs mismatch before testing.. it's actually pretty hard not to! :P :P

Any ideas why this script is broke then? a reminder of the symptoms: Within 1 game hour watching AI behaviour, the two people only talked ONCE, and that was after 5 seconds of the game loading. After that, nothing, despite the script being addapted to testing.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help so far

if ( randomchance < 101 )

The only valid numbers for a getrandompercent command are 0-99. "Randomchance < 20" means 20% percent. I have no idea what "< 101" means, but that certainly isn't correct. :D If you want 100% percent, then you just need to remove a few lines:

if ( getcurrentpackage AAMBtalktoBear == 1 )

if ( randomtimer > 0 )

else

startconversation AAMBBearref

set randomtimer to 30

endif

endif