DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Akatosh Mount: Stay command and Wander Package

lonewolf_kai

I originally posted this in the official Bethsoft mod forum, but figured it would actually be better placed somewhere like here.

I opened up Akatosh Mounts by SaidenStorm and noticed that the Stay command for the mount is supposed to add a Wander package. It does this by the Addscriptpackage command. However, the dragon mount doesn't actually "wander." It just sits there in place. I can't quite figure out why it isn't actually moving around.

Darkrider (Darkrder) posted a response, which I hope he doesn't mind if I repost it:

"Can't say for sure without seeing it firsthand, but it sounds like the called package probably has a wander radius of 0 because it's intended to stay not wander and a 0 radius makes it stand still (even though the package type is "wander" it's a STAY package). To remedy that, simply open the called AI package in the CS and give it a wander radius of 512 or so."

However, the wander radius originally had something like 2048 and it set to start at the current position and no time durations/scheduling. I changed the radius to 1500 to test it. I also check marked Skipfallout behavior in case it was trying to start a conversation with someone. But still no dice.

I also noticed that mount does not have any AI Packages at all and just tried to simply add a Wander package to it's list, but that also didn't help.

Out of curiosity, would it being considered a "mount" be the cause? I noticed the horses don't actually wander about either.

However, the wander radius originally had something like 2048 and it set to start at the current position and no time durations/scheduling. I changed the radius to 1500 to test it. I also check marked Skipfallout behavior in case it was trying to start a conversation with someone. But still no dice.

Hmmm odd, I'll DL the mount and take a look :yes:

I also noticed that mount does not have any AI Packages at all and just tried to simply add a Wander package to it's list, but that also didn't help.

The AI packages are most likely controlled by the scripts, so by default it has no AI untill the player selects a command.

Out of curiosity, would it being considered a "mount" be the cause? I noticed the horses don't actually wander about either.

Nope, Mount just means the gtame should treat it like a horse, IE the player can ride it, it won't affect anything else.

I took a look at the mod, the AI package is fine and the mount does wander, not very far or very often. This is most likely due to it's AI Energy level being set to 50, you could try increasing that and see if it moves more, it should.

I tried that too at 100, but even at 50, I never saw him move an inch. However, you said the dragon moved for you some? Were you close to him? How long did it take before he actually moved?

I was close enough, not sure of the exact distance and he moved, but not very often. I never adjusted the AI at all either, but I did go back and adjust the script. The script is setup to add a new AI pakcage with each command, but the script does not remove the old one first, so the Mount might be getting confused.

I'll need to double check this though.

I was close enough, not sure of the exact distance and he moved, but not very often. I never adjusted the AI at all either, but I did go back and adjust the script. The script is setup to add a new AI pakcage with each command, but the script does not remove the old one first, so the Mount might be getting confused.

Ahh, now that would make sense. I don't believe the Stay command part of the script does a pre-removal. I'm not at my home PC so I can't check yet. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks IS. :thumbup:

Edited by lonewolf_kai

You know, while I was thinking about it, particularly since you mentioned you saw at least some wandering on you end, I thought what if there was a mod conflict? I then suddenly realized I have a mod that keeps the Shadowmere from going back to the horse's place of orgin if left alone for awhile. I think part of the script that works with that also keeps all horses from doing that as well as following you if you dismount. I'm not now wondering if that is also preventing wander packages to work on all mount types. It would explain why I never see horses wandering around either.

I'll check this out later tonight to find out for sure, and report my findings as soon as I can.

You know, while I was thinking about it, particularly since you mentioned you saw at least some wandering on you end, I thought what if there was a mod conflict? I then suddenly realized I have a mod that keeps the Shadowmere from going back to the horse's place of orgin if left alone for awhile. I think part of the script that works with that also keeps all horses from doing that as well as following you if you dismount. I'm not now wondering if that is also preventing wander packages to work on all mount types. It would explain why I never see horses wandering around either.

I'll check this out later tonight to find out for sure, and report my findings as soon as I can.

No, that didn't work either. :unsure:

Looked at the scripts too, and you're right. No remove script command before the add wandering AI command.

Edit, blah, sorr abou tthe post spam there. Guess I got excited.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever check on this again IS? I tried it by adding removescripts on the beginning of each command, but I stll saw no change.

Not sure, never looked :lmao:, It's mot likely the case of them not having the wander AI package though.

lol, I never really paid attention to that until I started messing with the Akatosh Mod and began wondering about that one particular command and noticed he just sits there. Very un-immersive.

So I finally got time to fool around with this issue some. Changed the type of creature he is from Horse to Creature, and guess what? As soon as the Stay command is issued, he immediately begins to wander around! My first suspicions were correct then, but why?! Why would being a horse cause the creature to not wander around?

I guess a work around could be to script it so that it changes the type of creature the dragon is when asked to Stay, and back again when you state other commands... if that's even possible

Guess we both learned something new there then :lmao:, No clue why that'd cause problems, but then like I said, never bothered with horses XD

Yeah, seriously. I never even thought about it until I started to look more into the dragon scripts (thanks Eragon book series!) and wanting to make the dragon more interactive.

Now I can't figure out a solution for this. I looked for a SetCreatureType or some other similar script command and couldn't find one. I assume it's not a feature of OBSE either. So now I'm thinking, I could make a duplicate dragon that's set as a Horse Type, then have a "fly dragon" command and script it to disable the Creature Type dragon and enable the Horse Type dragon. Then script the Stay/Rest command to do the opposite.

It'd work I think, but it'd be a lot easier if that SetCreatureType was a command. :question:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, seriously. I never even thought about it until I started to look more into the dragon scripts (thanks Eragon book series!) and wanting to make the dragon more interactive.

Now I can't figure out a solution for this. I looked for a SetCreatureType or some other similar script command and couldn't find one. I assume it's not a feature of OBSE either. So now I'm thinking, I could make a duplicate dragon that's set as a Horse Type, then have a "fly dragon" command and script it to disable the Creature Type dragon and enable the Horse Type dragon. Then script the Stay/Rest command to do the opposite.

It'd work I think, but it'd be a lot easier if that SetCreatureType was a command. :question:

Just to add an update to this thread, I've requested Scruggs to add that command to the OBSE list, but told him to place it on the backburner, so not sure how long that will take.