DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Build or buy...

donnato

I was Reading the new Nvidia newsletter...for some reason...and got caught up in their hype for the reasonably priced GeForce GTX 550 Ti Vid Card. The article went on to describe how I could assemble all the parts to build a PC that would handle Crysis2 on advanced settings for like $600.00 (ok got my attention)...come to find out I can buy it assembled for the same price and have a year of support...What do you think??

Link

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I noticed is that it has liquid cooling..... Unless your really technically inclined and don't mind having liquids in your electronics that wouldn't be an option I would consider. :)

On and to your question.......

BUILD

:dizzy: I love that video card, I want it so bad and currently in the process of saving up for one or two. :dizzy:

I would suggest build, you will enjoy it more knowing that you built it and not some monkey sitting on a stool. lol

Ok...if I build...who do I call for support when there`s an issue that`s beyond me?...Ok how`s for a shopping list...? ...Linky...then hit the dropdown at the bottom and > "The Hardware". Sorry, for some reason I couldn`t link directly to the hardware page.

Edited by donnato

Well who do you call in 2 years when the prebuilt junk craps out and your support has run out? XD

I recently built my machine with the help of the folks here and I couldn't be happier. The blokes around TESA will always be here to offer support and nothing is more fulfilling than building and using your own rig made from parts you selected. :yes:

I'll never buy a prebuilt again. :no:

Build.

Personally, I am a huge fan of liquid cooling. The amount of fans needed to cool a powerful system get ridiculously loud, while liquid cooling is just about silent. It also keeps the insides cleaner. I'm also going to guess that its more efficient, but I don't have facts to back that up.

Build, build, build.

Buying off the shelf with a year of support is because those kind need the year of support. Plus you'll never be able to upgrade on a whim. As Rider said, and as you can see, there's plenty of support around here if you have issues. Just get Arion's phone number. :lmao:

Edit: Just noticed the link to the suggested hardware. Um, I'm not impressed. You need to ask yourself why do you want a new computer and what will you be using it for - then shop for hardware to meet that.

Find a real geek shop that will help you build a rig, piece by piece for your needs. Its like $65 extra for the assembly, $100 if they have to install windows. The money you save by building custom can be put in better hardware (read better gfx card).

These days almost everything is compatible with every other product and companies offer great support via websites so theres little to no risk of building something thats not going to work.

Sooooo.... the GTS550 is basically a GTX260 192 core with DX11 support? Current card is a GTX260 216 core version, so aside from the lack of DX11 and OpenGL 4.1, my card is more powerful. Ill stick with my plans on getting a GTX460 which has over 2x the power for $50 more.

And to the question. Build. The only time I will ever recommend buy is when someone has no computer knowledge and there isn't a decent techie shop (geek squad FTL) within in a reasonable distance.

I`ll build it myself thank you Meo...Echo...GTX460...?

Edit: ok..googled...available superclocked 763MHz core clock...? Yeah about $ 3hrs pay...more...

Edit:Linky Specs kinda speak to me... over the 460,no?

Edited by donnato

Ive just rebuilt my system from scratch, including a GeForce GTX 550 Ti Vid Card, 850W Corsiar PSU, 1 Terrabyte harddrive, USB 3.0 Card, and extra 4 Gigs of RAM and it came to about $650. So for about a grand i could upgrade the whole thing to pretty high standards...*\(all i'd need is a new motherboard/CPU now).

building is much cheaper then prebuilt systems.

:lol: My builds are never cheaper than prebuilt, but builds are so much fun. :) I actually lapped my cpu and heat sink when I did my last two builds (my machine and my husband's). It did help actually. Will probably switch to water cooling soon though.

So yeah, if you want help with a custom build, post here and we can pitch in.

Edited by AndalayBay

I`ll build it myself thank you Meo...Echo...GTX460...?

Edit: ok..googled...available superclocked 763MHz core clock...? Yeah about $ 3hrs pay...more...

Edit:Linky Specs kinda speak to me... over the 460,no?

That review has the 450, not the 460.

The GTS550 is comparable to the ATI 5770, which the GTX460 is vastly better then.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/293259-33-5770-benchmarks

I have mine built by a local company, turned out really cost effective and only had a few small problems that they delt with really well. Prebuilts scare me, I prefere to be able to add what I want when I want....

On the other hand I remember hearing about an american company (I THINK called power PC or something) that had AWFUL custumer support and quality control, with things breaking upon arriving and never being repaired...

But yeah, that is something to consider all the same!! :coolup:

Water cooling can be a pain...... If you aren't overclocking SERIOUSLY, a beefed up heatsink and fan is more than adequate to the task. And there are many, many, many "performance" heatsinks/fans available.

I will grant that water cooling IS quieter, and reduces the amount of dust your system accumulates..... But, if you are running stock speeds, or a little higher, its an added expense, that doesn't really offer much of a benefit. (in my opinion.)

I WILL jump on the "build your own" bandwagon though. Definitely the way to get the most bang for the buck.

Personally, I am a huge fan of liquid cooling. The amount of fans needed to cool a powerful system get ridiculously loud, while liquid cooling is just about silent. It also keeps the insides cleaner. I'm also going to guess that its more efficient, but I don't have facts to back that up.

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, and with yet another failing fan I think maybe I should just take the plunge, excuse the pun. Financially it's not a great time (is it ever?) but there's only so much dust, inadequate cooling and broken fans a person can take.

And if it was good enough for mainframes, it's good enough for my PC!

Ok...I think I`m sold on the GTX460 gpu. I`m looking at the EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GTX460SE...Now on to the CPU/MoBo...Intel or AMD??...Looks like with AMD i can get more bang for my buck...What are some issues I should consider here? Is this another item where cheaper might be acceptable....? How does the wattage of the cpu figure into things...voltage ranges ...etc. Thank you all for your time and help.

Basically speaking, higher wattage usually means higher heat output. If you can get away with a 95W CPU rather than a 125W or 140W you'll be far better off in the cooling department. It also saves a bit on the electric bill. Of course if you can't get the performance you want from a low wattage CPU, don't let that hinder you.