DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Build or buy...

donnato

Hand downs - build. I've been building my system since I was in high school (and that was nearly a decade ago). You can usually find any issues you're having online. It's nice if you just want to upgrade pieces of the rig at a time which is what I usually do.

I'm a fan of cheaper prices, so I would say go with an AMD processor and MoBo. I think they may be unveiling their newest chipset soon, so it might be worth it to wait till that comes out to find deals on "this gen" hardware.

That being said, I'm sure there are reasonable ready-built PCs out there if you absolutely need to have tech support.

Edited by jaggedbubbles

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arthmoor thank you. I should have thought of the watt vs. heat thing. Now I need to see if the 95watt chips will do me as there seems to be somewhat of a socket difference and upgrading later might be limited by this.

Jaggedbubbles, thank you, yes I`ve decided to build and since I will still have my laptop I will be able to access online support, which would be useless otherwise,and so don`t need mfg.tech support. I`ve swapped out components with friends but have never done a "ground up" build by myself. This should be all kinds of fun...I don`t know why I`m drawn to intel over AMD, it`s not like I have experience with both to be able to compare.

I agree with everyone on the build your own. One great thing about building your own PC is it's fun and you know where to look if something goes wrong (relatively speaking) and the cost can be very cheap.

Although a fan will be more cost effective there is something very appealing (to me anyhow) about water cooling it just looks cool and since my rig can sound like a rocket ship taking off the extra cost for no noise would be well worth it.

I agree with everyone on the build your own. One great thing about building your own PC is it's fun and you know where to look if something goes wrong (relatively speaking) and the cost can be very cheap.

Although a fan will be more cost effective there is something very appealing (to me anyhow) about water cooling it just looks cool and since my rig can sound like a rocket ship taking off the extra cost for no noise would be well worth it.

Thanks Chem. Ive seen some pretty reasonable liquid cooling systems out there. I`ve seen alot of CPUs come with a heat sink and fan...some MoBos too.Am I correct in assuming these would be better replaced?I`m probably going with fans for my first build. I can upgrade later if I need to and I`d rather spend my penny on higher quality components.

Im partial to Intel. Intel and Nvidia.

While they may cost a little more then AMD/ATI, I much prefer the quality and reliability of their products. My only issue right now with Intel is them changing socket types so much, because Im waiting for the i9 which is going to require a total overhaul for me, and I don't know what socket its going to be on. Makes prepping in advance rather difficult.

Quality and reliability won't be an issue when using AMD products any more than it would be using Intel products.

It may be an issue if you're on the fence about ATI vs nVidia graphics cards though. More so due to driver issues that both suffer from than anything. Lately it seems like the nVidia stuff is having a bad run and the ATI drivers have sorted most of their problems. This changes a lot though, so in the end it's best to just go with whatever looks like the best deal.

Personally I'd never go back to using an nVidia card again.

I avoid Nvidia because they 'sell' their chips to who-ever. ATI does not and makes the chips for their own hardware. At least, that is what I was told several years ago, not sure if its still true.

And my Radeon HD 5770 plays FO3 at all the highest settings on 1920 x 1080 with absolutely no issues at all. So the reference above to that I see as a mute point if your looking for a good price in a video card.

Wow...ok...some very good points here. I decided I`d better make a shopping list and I`m sure there`s something/s I`m missing so basically I need:

MoBo...Cpu...Video Card...HDD...PSU..Ram sticks...Disc drive...OS...and a Case w/fans....what am I missing here please? I know I`ll need some cables,cords and such. Haven`t got a monitor, keyboard, or mouse yet but that has to wait a bit.

I`ve got a pretty good list of items picked and priced, only missing a PSU...RAM...and OS. So far I`m up to $580.00...before tax. I will make up a list of choices when I`ve picked and priced the PSU and RAM...Windows 7 is a given and I`ll price that out last.

Again Thank You all so much

Ok folks here`s what I have so far:

Shopping list from newegg:

1.MoBo..Asus P8P67 LE(Rev. 3.0) LGA1155 #N82E16813131706 $145.00 LINK Got it

2.CPU...Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA1155 65W #M82E16819113077 $150.00 LINK Got it

3.Video Card..EVGA GTX460 SE #N82E16814130563 $180.00 LINK Got it

4.HDD...Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS#N82E16822148395 $40.00 LINK Got it

5.DiscDrive.. LiteOn Black #N82E16827106335 $25.00 LINK Got it

6.Ram...Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2X4GB) Model#CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 $125...Link Got it

7.PSU..Corsair cmpsu-750TX-750W #N82E16817139006 $110.00 LINK Got it

8.Case..ThermalTake Armor A60 #N82E16811133181 $75.00 LINK Got it

SUB TOTAL $850.00

All the # numbers are newegg stock numbers...

EDIT: list has been updated to reflect Echo`s input about the video card...

list has been updated to reflect Meo`s input about CPU and MoBo...

Edited by donnato

You should consider the Intel Core i3 on the s1155 socket. You can get a dual core at 3.3ghz with hyper-threading for $150. Yes the motherboards are a little more expensive but give you great upgrade options for later.

You should consider the Intel Core i3 on the s1155 socket. You can get a dual core at 3.3ghz with hyper-threading for $150. Yes the motherboards are a little more expensive but give you great upgrade options for later.

Oooh...great tip Meo. Thank you...is the s1155 socket like the LGA1155 socket that accepts quad cores...? The CPU I chose gives me 3.4GHz and a quad core...???It fits the AM3 socket that will let me upgrade too...Dunno about hyper-threading...guess I`d better look into that.

Edited by donnato

Yes, that socket can accept quad cores ( i5, i7). Hyper-Threading (HT) virtually double your cores, so a double becomes a quad, a quad an octo, etc.

The Asus P8P67 LE, great scalability. Expensive but compared to how cheap the intel CPUs are...

MEO...thank you...this changes things...for the better methinks...

EDIT: Shopping list updeated to reflect Meo`s input...:woohoo: This is gonna be great...Thank you all

Edited by donnato

A better way to look at hyper threading is like its a car-pool lane on a highway. It allows for smaller, less process intensive things to quickly get though. So it doesnt really double your effective cores. Its still very good though.

Cant wait for the i9. 6 cores with HT. So shmexy.

A better way to look at hyper threading is like its a car-pool lane on a highway. It allows for smaller, less process intensive things to quickly get though. So it doesnt really double your effective cores. Its still very good though.

Cant wait for the i9. 6 cores with HT. So shmexy.

Right-O Echo...once I get this built...I`ll have the ability to upgrade...in time. Funny how dropping from a quad to a dual core can give me more performance...Besides the OS the only other thing I might add is...liquid cooling...don`t think I`ll need it with a 65 watt 32nm processor though...maybe later when I upgrade...

Echo, the i9 is already here, its the Gulftown architecture which has been around for a year now , thats the i7-970, 980X and 990X. I think you are referring to the next-gen i7 using the LGA2011/Socket R coming this fall.

Edit: that is one sexy computer.