DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS on my netbook?

I have installed Oblivion and the CS on my Win XP Home netbook. Keep in mind, I have no plans whatsoever to get the game itself to run - I just want the CS to run, so I can do some modding work away from home. So I copied my "blank" Ob install from my backup drive to my netbook, and added in the appropriate registry entries by hand, and then installed the CS normally.

However, when I launch the CS, it crashes just after the splash screen appears. The error code I get is 0xc0000005. I've tried googling this, but apparently the error code is so common that it's hard discern what information is useful to my situation. I get the same error when I launch Oblivion - not that I expect it to run, as I said, but I wanted to see if I'd get the same error or not.

Stuff I've checked:

--Windows, Drivers and DirectX are up to date

--Memory checks fine

--This machine will run WoW (badly, mind you, but it runs)

So, anyone have any ideas? :D

Why don't you try actually installing Oblivion and the CS rather than just copying them? If you're pretty sure you have the registry configured correctly (and I know I wouldn't try doing this manually), then I would delete the Oblivion and CS ini files. I think both of those have some configuration settings specific to the machine, and if you just copied them from your other machine, they won't work on the netbook.

If you don't have a DVD drive on your netbook, you might be able to copy the contents of the DVD, transfer the files, and install from that. I've done that when I had a damaged DVD with some games. Basically I have several computers and often I have another machine that will read the damaged disk, so I can copy the contents to the network and run it from the network when installing on the machine that can't read the disk.

Can't install normally or from ISO, as my disks are at home, and I'm on vacation. That will be the first thing I try when I get home, though, if I haven't figured it out by then. Edit: I did install the CS normally though, by the way, because that doesn't require a disk.

That said, this is the same way I've migrated my Oblivion installs from one machine to the other a few times over, so I know it can work. I've been lucky all this time to not encounter any errors up until this point, I think. XD

I did try clearing the .ini files and the like, to no avail.

The netbook has 1G of memory. I'm prepared for the CS to run like sludge, but in theory at least I think it still ought to launch.