DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Thieves Den/Dunbarrow Cove - thoughts

Citrus

This is rather simple: what do you think if the Thieves Den DLC? This is a very subjective question because it depends on the type of character you usually roleplay but for those who like to roleplay as thieves, like me, I want to hear your thoughts about it. Do you think that the story behind it (Captain Dugal and the Red Sabre Pirates) could have been better used besides four journals and a ship in a cavern? After all, we're talking about the birth of Anvil, or New Anvil, the way you like it, if you look into the story.

I personally think that it could have been the start of a great quest. They practically hand you the key to the cove and all you have to do is purchase the upgrades and hire a few thieves and that's it, besides having to get rid of that skeleton pest. Nothing very exciting considering that was the resting place of one of the biggest smugglers this side of Cyrodiil and one of the Camoran Usurper's allies.

If you're wondering, I'm thinking about turning the Thieves Den into the quest it should have been, a bigger thing than what it is now. It's still in the early stages of conception; it all started when I swung by that cliff near Anvil where you find Fin Gleam and decided to build a fort there. I dug a bit for suitable names and stumbled upon the Red Sabre Pirates and liked the name: Red Sabre. My building spree commenced and I have decided to turn it into something more than just a lonely Legion garrison.

This is not a thread for the mod and there won't be one on the near future. I still want to get around building some things and laying down the quest line before I move forward with the thread. I just wanted to know how people felt about this DLC.

The storyline was excellent, but underutilized. The main aspect of the mod, the actual ship house, was terrible. A few cramped floors of shelving and nothing else. If you can make the house itself bigger and more deserving of the master thief, it could be a potential reward for completing the longer quest chain.

I liked it for what it was, particularly the NPCs which made the place feel alive, and was actually fine with there not being a quest for it. I would not have enjoyed a long involved quest in order to "justify" my finding a cave to live in, no matter how illustrious its history. Since I don't sell everything that isn't nailed down, it took a considerable amount of time for me to afford all of the upgrades, so in that respect, I found it well balanced. All in all, this is one DLC I did enjoy and appreciate.

After completing the quest and buying the upgrades the only use I make of the place is to purchase enchanted arrows from Melliwin and use the training chest for a bit while I'm there (at least until I finally get security to 100). I would love to see some continuation from the initial quest beyond the merchants and 'sending you crew out to plunder'. The least Bethesda could have done is let me tag along.

I like the idea of the basic story, but after upgrading and everything, I was a bit disappointed in it. Like Striker879 said, I would have loved to tag along on raiding. And I'd actually would like to see a few more NPC's and the layout a little better.

Overall, I like it but was not what I would call a "Thieves Den."

I would enjoy seeing what could be of the place :thumbup:

I liked the concept of Dunbarrow Cove, but at the same time I was a little disappointed as it could have been a lot more.

The big empty cave doesn't have the "feel" of a rogues hideout. You'd expect the place to be cramped and crowded much like a ghetto where the underworld all decide to hang out together. You'd expect the thieves to be resourceful enough and be able to build wooden buildings within the cave itself. And since they possess skills that are normally shunned by "honest" society, they'd be eager to show it off in such a place (imagine jugglers, acrobats and sleight-of-hand "magicians" showing off their skills).

Heh, never thought I'd get so much feedback, specially so much that somewhat agrees with me... interesting. Anyway, I'll keep on building the buildings and think about the ideas. It's a long project, even longer than my other one. I'll keep you updated when needs be. Not here though because when the time comes, it will have its own thread.

I guess this whole "disappointment" comes from the fact that I was spoiled by the Thief series and was expecting something more than just an average cave. I wanted some loot, or booty (can you say that here?)

• 3 months later...

Same feeling here, but I think that could be a couple of pirate raids lead by the player on a pirate ship. :)

I've been tinkering with ideas lately and made some very little progress on the mod (yes, I've started it) but pirate raids still aren't on my To-Do list. Now assisting the other thieves on their raids, that can be done. I'll post more details when I have them.