DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: Lesson #2

DarkRider

Hey, this is lesson two, homework and extra credit.

Bookcase

Here's the bookcase with some random clutter and complete collection of books.

Dresser and clothes

Here's the dresser with clothes ontop.

First Chest in bedroom

Here's the first chest with the glass sword inside.

Second chest in pantry

Here's the second chest which is a potions chest i placed in the pantry.

Front Door

Here's the front door.

Food and Wine

Here's the table with plates set with beef and corn with a cheap bottle of wine. Dine in style. lol

Path Grids

Here's a path grid. It's abit messy as it's my first try. I think i covered all major areas and avoided all furniture.

Thanks ~ Deran9ed.

I hope that it's alright that I just rushed ahead to chapter two...

Anyway, I fixed up the lights. If you would look over the path grids, that would be great. I wasn't sure if there was enough room to maneuver in the dining hall. I imagine that the NPC's need about as much space as one of those nodes?

The bookcase

My front door

Custom chests, apparatuses, wine

and finally, my walk ways

EDIT: I just saw your comments on chapter one. Thanks! And thank you for taking the time to look through all these people's pictures, working on such awesome tutorials, and all the other hard work you've done.

On the topic of carpets, I agree they kinda stand out in a bad way. I wanted carpets that would cover the entire floor, though. Do you know of a carpet that would fit the bill?

Edited by UmTheMuse

That's fine, and coming along nicely. Couple notes, comparing your screens to my own CS it looks like your rugs are floating and not actually resting on the floor. The floor boards along the walls should not be mostly covered, in fact if laid properly, a castle rug wouldn't cover the floorboards on the walls at all. :no: Your pathing is very good but there area couple places where you could use another connection or two to make an X. :yes:

Double check the height of your rugs and make a couple more cross connections with your pathing and you'll be ready for Lesson #3. :thumbup:

:lmao: Practiced eye. The floorboards on the house model, that wood border between walls and floor, just looked too short. As for rugs you can achieve that look using a castle rug, you just need to choose one with less defined or contrasted borders and lay it only one way. Use more rugs than necessary to extend it beyond the borders of the interior and fill any gaps rather than laying some sideways. Have a look at these example pics. (see attached Steps 01, 02, and 03 :down:)

I used CastleRugMiddleCheydinhal :yes:

post-3-0-82507400-1311038770_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-44270400-1311038775_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-75064100-1311038788_thumb.jpg

I am having a LOT of trouble trying to do Lesson #2, and don't want to take so long on it that I get eliminated from the class. I am hoping I have not passed the time limit on this.

1. I know it probably sounds basic, but I'm having a lot of problems with "dragging and dropping" items in the Render Window. I can drag them to the Render Window from the Inventory Lists with no problems (other than they land very high up in the house, sometimes OUT of the house). However, once the object is in the Render Window I can't drag it at all anymore. I can click on it and it responds, but won't drag. I have to double click on it and use the edit screen to move it around (which is how I did the entire Lesson #1).

2. Lesson #2 - I haven't even begun my gridpaths yet - or loading books into the bookshelf. So far I am still on setting the table. My problem is, even though I am getting the camera view set to the table, the tiny knives and forks are still showing up way up in the eaves of the house somewhere. I have to search them out, and I can't see them. I had to run it through TESEdit to make sure I didn't have knives floating in the air or ceiling of the house, lol. I finally got one place setting up, and could get that finished now with the tip on duplicating and dragging - if the drag function worked.

Could it be that something isn't right with my mouse? If you know any tips that wouldn't be considered cheating for me to know, please tell me. I am loving this course, by the way - and thank you for offering it!

Don't worry, you won't be dropped from the class too quickly, RL sometimes takes it's toll. It sounds like it could be your mouse, what sort of mouse do you use? I know a lot of folks who have had similar troubles using trackball mice. Try swapping the mouse out if you can and see if a different one gives you better results. We'll get you sorted out :thumbup:

Don't worry, you won't be dropped from the class too quickly, RL sometimes takes it's toll. It sounds like it could be your mouse, what sort of mouse do you use? I know a lot of folks who have had similar troubles using trackball mice. Try swapping the mouse out if you can and see if a different one gives you better results. We'll get you sorted out :thumbup:

Thanks, that is hugely appreciated. The mouse is the generic that came with the (URG ... Hewlett Packard with Vista ...) PC. It has problems dragging things in Word.doc's too, but I was never sure if it was my own lack of skill or the mouse. I'll try to change it out and see if that helps, thank you!

It's a great start Mal but needs some work (no luck with a different mouse huh?). You pathing has too many overlapping nodes. Have a look at the example pics again and try to match what you see. :yes: Several items in the room appear to be floating, the bear rug, the barrel, etc, do some camera work and see if you can track those down and get them flush with the floor. Once you get an item above the floor, use the F key to drop it that will help with your placement. :yes: Also looks like your books are clipping into the bookcase that will be a problem in game. Your door needs to be rotated to face inward to the house, and the one chair by the bookcase is sunk into the floor, the feet of the blue man should be on the floor not below it. :thumbup:

Just some minor tweaks, have a go, and please press A to turn on the worklight before taking screens, easier for these old eyes to see clearly XD

Back to work now, you have a very good start especially without a mouse. :ok:

It's a great start Mal but needs some work (no luck with a different mouse huh?). You pathing has too many overlapping nodes. Have a look at the example pics again and try to match what you see. :yes: Several items in the room appear to be floating, the bear rug, the barrel, etc, do some camera work and see if you can track those down and get them flush with the floor. Once you get an item above the floor, use the F key to drop it that will help with your placement. :yes: Also looks like your books are clipping into the bookcase that will be a problem in game. Your door needs to be rotated to face inward to the house, and the one chair by the bookcase is sunk into the floor, the feet of the blue man should be on the floor not below it. :thumbup:

Just some minor tweaks, have a go, and please press A to turn on the worklight before taking screens, easier for these old eyes to see clearly XD

Back to work now, you have a very good start especially without a mouse. :ok:

I've made a copy of the above to get working on it, meanwhile here is an edit to the Pathgrid. I didn't know how to handle it when two pods were in the same place. I tried deleting one of them and lost a bunch of yellow lines with it. (control Z didn't undo the delete, lol) . Anyway, this pathgrid is a little cleaner, but still may have issues because of two places that have the pods stacked ontop one another.

Pathgrid Rework:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2Pathgrids2-1.jpg

Proofs of custom containers:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2CustomContainer2Proof.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2CustomContainer1Proof.jpg

Door Fixed:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2DoorFix.jpg

Chair in floor fixed:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2ChairFix.jpg

Books fixed:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2BookFix.jpg

Bear Rug fixed:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2BearRugFix.jpg

Barrel sunk in floor fixed:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Maxical1/mALXLesson2BarrelFix.jpg

Was there more I need to fix?

Edited by mALX

Looks very good. You screenshoot pathing just press Print Screen on your keyboard with the pathing on in the CS and then press ctrl+v in a paint program like MS Paint and save it. :thumbup:

You can also take pathing shots in game by using the console command tpg to toggle them on, then tcl to move above the scene and get a good shot. :popcorn:

Looks very good. You screenshoot pathing just press Print Screen on your keyboard with the pathing on in the CS and then press ctrl+v in a paint program like MS Paint and save it. :thumbup:

You can also take pathing shots in game by using the console command tpg to toggle them on, then tcl to move above the scene and get a good shot. :popcorn:

Interior pathgrid House Pathgrid