DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Some problems with water

The Vyper

I'm trying to update the Oblivion Gate Closer spell to eliminate some bugs. I've got most of them worked out, but this one is driving me nuts! If I don't use a script to alter the weather, the Oblivion Storm sky keeps playing until you restart. If I use SetWeather to try and change it, nothing happens. Using ForceWeather to change it works, but has a side effect on distant water:

gallery_775_71_343498.jpg

Definitely not what I want to see. Once you get closer to the affected water, you see this:

gallery_775_71_643100.jpg

Is there any way to change/force the weather from OblivionStormTamriel without messing up the water?

The current script I'm using is:

scn GCGateCloserSpellScript

Ref Gate

begin ScriptEffectStart

If Player.GetInWorldspace Tamriel == 1

Set Gate to GetSelf

If GetDestroyed == 0

CloseOblivionGate	

ModpcFame 1

ModPCMiscStat 13 1

Player.additem GCSSLL06Master 1

PlaySound NPCAtronachStormEnrage	

PlaySound3D SPLDestructionHit

ForceWeather Clear

SetWeather Clear  

else

PlaySound SPLShockFail

PlaySound3D SPLDestructionFail

Endif

Endif

End

At some point, I want to put a 5 second timer in that will rapidly switch the weather between OblivionStormTamriel and Clear, but I'd like to get the water issue resolved first.

Any ideas on a fix?

How is the oblivion weather set in the first place?

The weather automatically changes to OblivionStormTamriel when you get near an Oblivion Gate. I've looked, but I can't find what specifically sets this off.

You might be able to use ReleaseWeatherOverride to release the oblivion weather and go back to normal the 'usual' way instead of forcing it.

I've now tried various iterations of ForceWeather and SetWeather (with and without ReleaseWeatherOverride) and nothing helps. And it now seems that this problem occurs even if I don't shut an Oblivion gate: As soon as the OblivionStormTamriel weather starts, all distant water becomes red until you get fairly close to it. Has anyone else encountered this? Two really good places to test it are:

1. Around wilderness cell 19, 6. There's a random Oblivion gate that opens there and you can look west to see Lake Rumare. (this is where I took the screenshots)

2. Anvil. The Anvil Oblivion gate is close enough to water to potentially avoid this "bug", but if you walk far enough away you may encounter it.

Edited by The Vyper

Vyper,

Would you mind touching base with the All Natural guys? The reason I ask is because there are a number of us who have been complaining about Oblivion weather being stuck and Wrinkly and company have been scratching their heads over the issue. I'm using your gate closer mod - does the current version affect the duration of Oblivion weather? Even if it doesn't, perhaps talking to the AN guys will give you some ideas on how to fix your water issue. I believe AN uses force weather, but I'm not entirely sure.

Vyper,

Would you mind touching base with the All Natural guys? The reason I ask is because there are a number of us who have been complaining about Oblivion weather being stuck and Wrinkly and company have been scratching their heads over the issue.

I can do that. I don't currently use AN, but maybe together we can figure this out.

I'm using your gate closer mod - does the current version affect the duration of Oblivion weather?

Unfortunately, yes. For some reason, closing a gate with the current spell doesn't stop OblivionStormTamriel from playing. In fact, it will continue playing until you reload the game (at least, it does with my current setup). I'm refining the script to eliminate that bug as well as some others.

I believe AN uses force weather, but I'm not entirely sure.

It probably uses SetWeather, since ForceWeather instantly changes the current weather to whatever is selected, without any sort of transition.

I vaguely remember that this is a game bug, where the water is red in LOD data. I don't know if there was ever a fix for it though.

Hmm...well, at least it isn't my mod. I'll check the UOP thread over at BGS and see if there's a fix for it.