DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Site Instability 6/2-?

DarkRider

:faint: What Happened to TESA?! :dizzy:

Hail Allies, Ambassadors, VIPs, and Patrons!

Tonight TES Alliance experienced a bit of instability, some roving 500 Server errors, general lagging, and the Board Index was oddly squished into the sidebar for about a half hour. This appears to have been connected to some routine maintenance being performed by our site host on other related servers and we're experiencing some general instability because of it, though that has not been confirmed. In the event the site starts acting strangely at this time, please be patient and you'll find it back up shortly. Our host has been contacted about this incident and they are looking into what caused it specifically so that it may be avoided in the future.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our users and guests alike, we will do our best to get the site stabilized and running ship shape as usual as soon as possible. In all likelihood this was a one time event, but we will let you know if anything develops of it.

Thanks.

DarkRider :salute:

I heard Hana was having nightmares and accidentally kicked her pc box which caused planetary interweb malfunctions. Always something with her, probably the new catnip.

Poor Hana... always being picked on..... :hugs: and :cookie4u: for Hana

I had some oddness too, but figured it was on my end. :shrug:

[notice=Addendum]"Closed Case" on this a bit prematurely it seems, but techs from IPS have discovered a root cause for much of the recent site mischief, something our server techs couldn't find. Seems the wonky alignment issues, and even some of the recent lagging are likely all due to an *ahem* over abundant use of our new "emoticons in statuses/profile comments" mod. Our only choice is to disable the emoticons mod to stabilize the site. Apparently, we would have soon lost this capability in the next big software upgrade regardless as that functionality will be gone for just this reason, so in the end no major loss. We do know how much everyone enjoyed them while they lasted, but we're certain you understand why they must go. [/notice]

I've disabled the emoticon mods to prevent further bloating on site, but it's going to take time for those already posted to work out of the system and for things to resume to normal. I've noticed an improvement but no we're not back to full function as of yet, which is why I unlocked this thread in case there are additional developments. :salute:

It's not a mod in the sense we think of. Basically DarkRider turned on emotes for the status comments and that feature didn't work out so well. IP Board will be removing it in the next release. Now I'm glad I didn't turn it on at ModCraft :grin:

I did get some SQL errors at one point.

It is a mod, just like we modify Oblivion and release mods, many IPB users code their own plugins and release for others to use. This mod modified the board code to allow emotes in areas they don't belong.

I am still running clean up tools but you see the emotes in your profiles and archived statuses yet, until those are all worked out of the system we will continue to have issues as we clogged the system with emotes that it's not designed to parse. Might be easiest to imagine all of those emotes as speedbumps on a busy road and it becomes clear why we're lagging.

What IPS will remove in the next update is the angle this modder exploited to create this mod as its only really safe on less active boards.

Just like with Oblivion mods: user beware!

Exactly like that, and we are very careful when choosing new mods to integrate, read all the documentation carefully, even have a test board. There was nothing to suggest this mod would cause a problem. But just like with Oblivion mods, you get it in the wrong load order with the wrong set of circumstances and a problem suddenly appears. Usually mod trouble is easily disabled and deleted, but in this case, the problem only became evident after the system was full of the little buggers even though I disabled the mod, they are around until new statuses and new comments force them out of the system. :laser:

Perhaps you could ask everyone to delete their old statuses... I cleaned mine out a while ago... Rather extreme perhaps. Would going through and removing all the emotes help?

We've got a test setup too, but it's hard to test load related issues in a test setup.

Always something with these board mods. Just like with OB mods, people can crank out some incredible stuff, but much of it isn't tested very well. Although I guess I can't fault this one since it may not have had a chance to get used on a large site before coming here.

That's one thing I never liked about how IPB's internal coding does things. Even back in the old days of Invisionboard 1.3 they used to store all this stuff in HTML form instead of as the actual bbcode, so that once you made a big mistake somewhere it NEVER went away even if you undid the code that initially caused it. I guess they've never learned that lesson.

The forum software I code for doesn't suffer this as it never stores generated HTML in posts unless the user puts it there on purpose. So the worst that happens in my case is some old codes that won't parse anymore are floating around, they just get spit out as raw text instead.