DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[REQZ] - Door opening and closing animation

Citrus

This is a simple request: I need someone who can add the open/close animation to one of the vanilla doors that is apparently lacking one. The door in question is Ungrdltraphingedoor (look for it in the basement doors; it's the last one on the list).

I promise cookies to the person that helps me with this. Thanks in advance. Once it is done, the door can be sent by PM.

Well let`s have a look shall we?

EDIT:...:blink: That`s one messed up .nif. won`t load in either nifskope or blender...error message about some array being too long and some other general gripes.

Sorry, can`t work on what I can`t load. Pick another and I`ll see if can make it work. You`ll have to figure the trigger stuff though, maybe more since I`m no good with nifskope.

Edited by donnato

Well let`s have a look shall we?

EDIT:...:blink: That`s one messed up .nif. won`t load in either nifskope or blender...error message about some array being too long and some other general gripes.

Sorry, can`t work on what I can`t load. Pick another and I`ll see if can make it work. You`ll have to figure the trigger stuff though, maybe more since I`m no good with nifskope.

Hmm, strange. I can open it just fine on Nifskope 1.0.22 and the door appears to be ready for the open/close animation (but I don't know for sure). Are you sure you're opening the same NIF? It is called ungrdltraphingedoor.nif. As for Blender, I'm not sure if it works or not.

We just did a custom animation recently by copying the animation nodes from another mesh. Now I'm not a modeller, so I can't give you detailed instructions, but here's the gist of what we did.

Basically open the NIF of the object you want to animate. If you can't open the file for the door you want to animate, then use a similar one and change the texture so that it looks like the one you want. Then open the NIF for an animated door and copy the animation nodes. If the parent nodes have the same naming convention, you'll be able to copy them in directly, otherwise you'll have to do some renaming either on the source or the target so that the node names match. Then import the new mesh into Blender and fix up the timings, if necessary.

If this is too sketchy for you to follow, let me know and I'll ask our animator to drop in and explain what she did.

We just did a custom animation recently by copying the animation nodes from another mesh. Now I'm not a modeller, so I can't give you detailed instructions, but here's the gist of what we did.

Basically open the NIF of the object you want to animate. If you can't open the file for the door you want to animate, then use a similar one and change the texture so that it looks like the one you want. Then open the NIF for an animated door and copy the animation nodes. If the parent nodes have the same naming convention, you'll be able to copy them in directly, otherwise you'll have to do some renaming either on the source or the target so that the node names match. Then import the new mesh into Blender and fix up the timings, if necessary.

If this is too sketchy for you to follow, let me know and I'll ask our animator to drop in and explain what she did.

I tried but couldn't get it to work because it seems this door is a bit wonky and different from the other basement doors. If you could get your animator to help me, I would be glad. Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot but the door's opening the wrong way :P. If you could just correct that... it would be perfect.

Well I took an existing animation. I have no idea to make animations myself. Perhaps I'll find another animated door, that I can abuse for this, but I don't know ;)

• Upvote 1

Ok well that`s odd. Glad iworks for others though. ElParadon, if you have a .blend file you can now attach it directly to a PM without zipping, and I`ll take a look if you want. Sounds like you`ve got enough help but I`m curious to see how this looks/works. The animation`s not difficult but I`ve had problems "activating" doors with custom anim s before.

Well, I keep trying :P

I simply moved the hinge to the other side. Try this one: http://www.file-upload.net/download-3507818/UndergroundtraphingedoorAnim_02.zip.html

If not, you just can PM me and tell me, what I should try next.

Well, you should go back to the first one and change the direction of the animation. It was opening to the opposite side of the hinge when it should be opening to the side of the hinge. But nevermind, Trollf got it right. Thanks anyway ;).

Changing such simple anims is easy in Nifskope if you know what to look for ;]

Check this:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-3507867/UndtraphingedoorAnim.7z.html

Thanks a lot :). That was exactly what I needed. It may be simple but I don't know how to do it with Nifskope. Yet. I'll learn when I have time.

You should not thanks Tamira "anyway" but "primarily" ;] I was just too lazy to make this from scratch and used her animated mesh instead ;p I did only couple of tweaks to it though.

Well, on that case, and given the fact I couldn't tell that from the Nif, here goes the correction: thank you Tamira and thank you Trollf for tweaking it :).

Now I am curious of course, how you made the door open the other way. I cannot "read" it in the nif :D

I changed rotation values by negating certain numbers. In controller manager there are sequences which use interpolators - you only need to change values in rotation keys they use.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I am curious of course, how you made the door open the other way. I cannot "read" it in the nif :D

A bit of a late reply but you might see it !

The open and close sequences have the XYZ rotations set (in this instance it is a Z rotation so is listed under the Block List look at the NiControllerManager - Nicontrollersequence (Open and Close) - NiTransformInterpolator - NiTransformData Line (highlight it) and then under the Block Details expand XYZ Rotations - and the third line XYZ Rotations will control the rotation on the Z axis then under the Keys for that you change the Value (this is listed in Radians (90 degrees = 1.5708 radians) so changing the value will change the degrees it opens at that Time in the animation -- so currently it opens slightly more than 90 degrees at 1.6667 time then moves back a bit by 1.833 seconds and finally finishes at exactly 90 degrees in 2 seconds. So to make it swing the opposite direction you would place a - sign in front of each of the three values listed under the keys and it will swing the opposite direction on the z axis (or reset them to 0 and enter those values on the X or Y axis keys to make it swing around a different Axis !

Thank you very much for explaining this to a Noob :smug:

I've seen the +/- in the nif but the amount of entrys confused me.

Well if I had needed this door for my personal use, the moving of the hinge to the other side worked well for me, too :D

Thank you very much for explaining this to a Noob :smug:

I've seen the +/- in the nif but the amount of entrys confused me.

Well if I had needed this door for my personal use, the moving of the hinge to the other side worked well for me, too :D

I've done the same a few times before I figured out how to change them - sometimes it is easier to just manipulate the position of the model or copy\pasting the Tristrips into a different model that already moves the way you want but it always drove me crazy not being able to figure out where the movement was so had to play around with settings and look at different Nifs until I finally saw what was being done differently in the various ones.

Here's a nice little chart that helps when converting Radians to degrees that makes entering the numbers a bit easier also.