DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Should I buy a new PC or just upgrade?

So I got into modding oblivion and realized I couldn't live with myself if I got the Xbox version of Skyrim over the PC version. So what I'm wondering is:

Could I support Skyrim?

What/Do I need to upgrade?

What other new games could I support?

How much would it cost to upgrade? (If needed)

My specs: (Read off the little thing on the computer)

Acer Aspire 4730Z

-Intel Pentium Dual-core processor T3400

(2.16 Ghz, 667 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache)

-Up to 732MB Mobile Intel Graphics Media

Accelerator 4500M (I have no idea what this means, its probably the graphics card though :P)

-2GB DDR2

-250GB HDD

-Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/draft-N WLAN (No idea what this is either :P)

So, if anything I think I'd have to upgrade graphics card. What do you guys think?

Edited by IxFlashPointxI

Could I support Skyrim?

What/Do I need to upgrade?

What other new games could I support?

How much would it cost to upgrade? (If needed)

1. Probably, though not overly sell.

2. If anything your videocard, though ideally a better CPU and perhaps another 2GB of ram, though your motherboard may not support much,

3. Basically anything currently, but again, not overly well.

4. Depends on what you do want to upgrade and what with.

1. Unfortunately, your processor is built on nowadays ancient architecture and will certainly hold you back. Also, modern games and onboard GPUs tend not to mesh very well, if at all.

2. - Ideally, you would need a new processor, but a change in CPU architecture would likely mean a change in the socket. For that, you'd need a new Motherboard, and when you get there, you're better off just buying a whole new system.

- You definitely should get a good GPU, but given the age of your CPU, you should probably report back if you have any PCI-E x16 slots. If you don't, forget about this. You can't buy a decent GPU nowadays on standard PCI or AGP.

- Consider a larger hard drive. Modern games tend to be pretty heavy on the resources and assets. If you plan to mod, 250Gb probably won't be enough.

- RAM largely depends on the architecture of your OS: is it 32bit or 64bit? If 32bit, you'r only going to get one more gig of RAM out of your system, and everything else goes to waste. With 64bit, you could double your RAM, which that is plenty for modern games.

3. You could probably play modern games on your system, but the graphics quality would likely be hit rather hard.

err guys, what IxFlashPointxI listed is the spec of his notebook, so no any upgrades are possible except some changes to the amount of RAM and HDD ;]

And sorry to say that, but I don't think it will be possible to play Skyrim on such notebook... Intel GMA 4500M is good for office work, Internet browsing, etc. and eventually for older and less demanding games. It is quite likely that Skyrim won't even start on it, but if it manages to show menu somehow, then the game won't be playable apart from the lowest settings, end even then it will be not smooth at all. And these are not my presumptions but facts as IMA is really a poor gfx card for newer games.

As for the upgrade... well, if you want to play some Skyrim, then your only option is to buy either another notebook (with far better gfx card and other stuff), or console, or decent PC - there's no any way to improve in significant way this notebook you have...

err guys, what IxFlashPointxI listed is the spec of his notebook, so no any upgrades are possible except some changes to the amount of RAM and HDD ;]

And sorry to say that, but I don't think it will be possible to play Skyrim on such notebook... Intel GMA 4500M is good for office work, Internet browsing, etc. and eventually for older and less demanding games. It is quite likely that Skyrim won't even start on it, but if it manages to show menu somehow, then the game won't be playable apart from the lowest settings, end even then it will be not smooth at all. And these are not my presumptions but facts as IMA is really a poor gfx card for newer games.

As for the upgrade... well, if you want to play some Skyrim, then your only option is to buy either another notebook (with far better gfx card and other stuff), or console, or decent PC - there's no any way to improve in significant way this notebook you have...

Alright, so how much would it cost to get a new PC? That can at least play it at medium settings.

Or is it an option I could just upgrade some hardware on my current laptop?

1. Unfortunately, your processor is built on nowadays ancient architecture and will certainly hold you back. Also, modern games and onboard GPUs tend not to mesh very well, if at all.

2. - Ideally, you would need a new processor, but a change in CPU architecture would likely mean a change in the socket. For that, you'd need a new Motherboard, and when you get there, you're better off just buying a whole new system.

- You definitely should get a good GPU, but given the age of your CPU, you should probably report back if you have any PCI-E x16 slots. If you don't, forget about this. You can't buy a decent GPU nowadays on standard PCI or AGP.

- Consider a larger hard drive. Modern games tend to be pretty heavy on the resources and assets. If you plan to mod, 250Gb probably won't be enough.

- RAM largely depends on the architecture of your OS: is it 32bit or 64bit? If 32bit, you'r only going to get one more gig of RAM out of your system, and everything else goes to waste. With 64bit, you could double your RAM, which that is plenty for modern games.

3. You could probably play modern games on your system, but the graphics quality would likely be hit rather hard.

Where can I find if I have any PCI-E x16 slots?

It is 32 bit.

And yes, I was thinking of buying an external hard-drive anyways.

>> Alright, so how much would it cost to get a new PC? That can at least play it at medium settings.

Have no idea as requirements haven't been published yet. We can only guess... something new, quite cheap but still decent around 1000$ or less (inc. LCD) perhaps? no more I think.

The only hardware that you could make an upgrade to in your laptop are RAM and HDD. But it won't make any difference in the end, as Skirim won't work anyway because of CPU and GFX card which you can't replace.

Nowhere. As Thomas and echonite's posts are related to PC upgrade, not laptops.

>> Alright, so how much would it cost to get a new PC? That can at least play it at medium settings.

Have no idea as requirements haven't been published yet. We can only guess... something new, quite cheap but still decent around 1000$ or less (inc. LCD) perhaps? no more I think.

The only hardware that you could make an upgrade to in your laptop are RAM and HDD. But it won't make any difference in the end, as Skirim won't work anyway because of CPU and GFX card which you can't replace.

Nowhere. As Thomas and echonite's posts are related to PC upgrade, not laptops.

Alright, thanks. I'll look around to see if I can find something.

FlashPoint, have you considered building your own? I just did and recieved all the hand holding I needed from the folks here. I was able to build a really nice mech. for alot less than I could have bought it for...if I could find one prebuilt with all my goodies. :P

FlashPoint, have you considered building your own? I just did and recieved all the hand holding I needed from the folks here. I was able to build a really nice mech. for alot less than I could have bought it for...if I could find one prebuilt with all my goodies. :P

Yeah, I've considered building one. I wouldn't know where to start though, I don't know what I'd have to get.

I have a thread here in H&S support called build or buy?...on page 2 I list my parts with a newegg link so folks can see the specs. The thread ran 8 pages and there`s quite alot of info there. The folks here were very helpful and well informed. I will never buy another prebuilt PC. Not now that I know how really easy it is. I did have to do alot of reaserch and reading to get good tips and tricks. But that was how I killed the time it took to save the last of my pennies and wait for shipping.

I have a thread here in H&S support called build or buy?...on page 2 I list my parts with a newegg link so folks can see the specs. The thread ran 8 pages and there`s quite alot of info there. The folks here were very helpful and well informed. I will never buy another prebuilt PC. Not now that I know how really easy it is. I did have to do alot of reaserch and reading to get good tips and tricks. But that was how I killed the time it took to save the last of my pennies and wait for shipping.

Alright, I'll check it out.

Thanks, Don!

Flash...ya gotta be careful though. There is a downside...if you build your own PC, you WILL catch the dreaded builder`s bug...this means that no matter how groovey your mech turns out...you won`t be able to stop thinking about your next upgrade/build...:rofl:

Flash...ya gotta be careful though. There is a downside...if you build your own PC, you WILL catch the dreaded builder`s bug...this means that no matter how groovey your mech turns out...you won`t be able to stop thinking about your next upgrade/build...:rofl:

Hey Don, did you miss the part in the "builders agreement" where you were NOT supposed to mention that little tidbit? :D

Building your own gets you a LOT more machine, for less money, than any pre-built box. Not to mention, you load on there what YOU want, not what some generic manufacturer thinks is a 'good idea'. The sheer volume of bloatware that comes on pre-built machines today is just scary. I probably spend two hours just cleaning up that kind of crap when I do a new PC setup for a customer.....