DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Unofficial TESA Foodie thread

WhoGuru

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the food on this tread looks amazing, and I'm ashamed to tell you my eating habits. Last night it was boring mashed potatoes, Oktoberfest sausage, and sauerkraut, but when you're just cooking for yourself and a 9 year old. It is very limited.

I love German food, but my heart is with Greek and Middle-Eastern cuisine.

I make an ok Baklava, but I make a mean hummus.

• 2 weeks later...

Make your own eclairs!

27E15.jpg

Eclairs are composed of three components: the shell is made from a dough called Pate au Choux, which is a dough specifically for eclairs. The filling is Pastry Cream, and the icing on top is called Ganache.

Yield: About 8 to 10 eclairs.

Pate au Choux:

Water/Milk: 8oz

Butter: 4oz

---

Salt: 1/2 tsp

Flour (AP): 6oz

---

Eggs: 10oz

1. Bring your liquid to a boil on the stovetop. Sift flour and salt to mix and remove lumps. Preheat oven to 375*F

2. When liquid begins boiling, add butter, and let melt fully.

3. Add flour and salt after butter has melted, stir until the paste pulls away from the sides of the pot easily.

4. Remove dough from pot and place into mixer. Mix for about 2 minutes as is to remove excess heat.

5. Gradually add in eggs about a quarter at a time. Allow previous eggs to incorporate fully before adding more. Continue until batter is pipeable (will be pasty, not quite doughy, yet not quite batter-y). You may not need to add all the eggs to achieve this.

6. Using an open-star or closed-star tip, pipe the mix onto ungreased parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake for approximately one hour.

7. Allow to cool before filling.

Pastry Cream:

Milk: 2 lb (one quart)

Sugar 1: 4oz

---

Egg Yolks: 3oz (about 5)

Corn Starch: 2+1/4oz

Whole eggs: 4oz (about 2)

Sugar 2: 4oz

---

Butter: 2oz

Vanilla Extract: 1 T

1. Dissolve sugar 1 into milk. sift corn starch and sugar 2 together. Whisk egg product together, and add sugar + corn starch, whisk until smooth.

2. Bring milk to boil in a saucepan on the stovetop.

3. Remove milk from heat, slowly add in half the hot milk to your egg mix, whisking constantly. Once half the milk is in the eggs, pour the bowl's entire contents back into the saucepan and whisk together.

4. Return pot to heat and whisk until cream thickens. It should look like yogurt and cling to the whisk if you scoop it out. Whisk constantly to avoid lumps forming.

5. Immediately transfer cream to a cold metal bowl in ice bath (strain it if lumps formed). Continue whisking in the ice bath to help dissipate the heat.

6. Once cooled sufficiently, transfer to refrigerator and chill until below 40*F before use.

Ganache:

Heavy Cream: 9oz

Chocolate (semi-sweet): 9oz

---

Butter: 1+1/2oz

Vanilla Extract: 1 tsp

1. Bring cream to boil on stovetop.

2. When cream boils, pour over chopped chocolate and slowly stir with spatula until chocolate is fully melted.

3. Add butter and vanilla, stir until butter is melted.

4. Use immediately, reheat over double-boiler if needed, but don't do this too often or ganache will become grainy.

Using those three components, here's how to make the eclairs:

1. Cut baked eclair shells in half horizontally, giving you a top half and bottom half. Or poke holes on either side of the shell if you wish to pipe your filling.

2a. If cut, spoon pastry cream into bottom half, dip top half into ganache. Sandwich on top of each other and garnish with shaved chocolate if desired.

2b. If piping, use your pastry injector tip (very long with slanted opening similar to a hypodermic needle) and pipe half from one side, and half on the other. When you see filling being pushed out, stop, the shell is full. Dip in ganache, then garnish with shaved chocolate if desired.

Here's a quick meal that will have them coming back for seconds. Sorry there's no pics. It was gone before I could find the camera. :)

1 package of fresh Buitoni Mixed Cheese Tortellini pasta (20oz package in refer section)

1 jar Buitoni Tomato and Basil sauce (can use any of your own preference)

1 Lb package lean ground beef

1/2 lb of spicy breakfast sausage

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

Mix ground beef and sausage together and cook well in sauce pan. When well cooked,drain and discard grease. Add jar of your favorite sauce and turn on low heat.

In large pot add 5 qts water with tbs of olive oil and bring to a boil. When water is boiling add package of tortellini pasta and cook for aprox 9 minutes.

When pasta is tender (after aprox 9 minutes) drain pasta and discard water. Put pasta back in the original pot it was cooked in and pour your meat and sauce mixture on top. Stir gently to distribute sauce. Serve hot. Can sprinkle shredded parmesan, romano and asiago cheese on top for additonal flavor.

Enjoy :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

Well the subject of making mead came up in the shouty and me being me began a search. the name of this site caught my eye. Looking through the great offerings I found this. If you`ve ever made wine or beer you`ll already have the basics such as the importance of sanitization, and off gassing. I like this tutorial because I don`t have to work with a 5 gallon batch and it`s a very easy to follow set of instructions. I`m definately going to do this real soon here.

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh: why has nobody invented a sort of "food email system" yet?

I had duck eggs for the first time yesterday: my, what huge yolks you have there! Although not much bigger than regular hens' eggs, the yolks are enormous, probably around three times the volume, perhaps more. I probably sound like a right yokel here but I'm not well travelled in the world of eggs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok folks lets wake up this thread,eh?..I`ve spoken about my split pea soup before but this time the corner store didn`t have what I wanted so today I`ll be using pork chorizo instead of bacon (really wanted bacon) , serrano peppers instead of fresh ginger (really wanted to try that) , red bell pepper and of course...onion, garlic, carrot, and split peas.,..

The pork chorizo goes...skin on...into the bottom of my stock with just a light coat of oil till it`s highly warm. Then out it comes to be slit open and the meat scraped out of the skin...back into the pot with it. Let it fry just a bit longer then in with the sliced serranos , 1/2 the garlic , red bell pepper slices, salt and black (or red) pepper , and onions till they are transluscent. ...then 8 cups of water and bring to boil...add split peas..lower heat and simmer till done..:drool:

Edit:..OMG..this is maybe the best yet...using pork chorizo works very well...

Edited by donnato

Rabbit And Guinness Stew

2 Rabbits

3-4tbsp sunflower oil

4 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges

2tsp light muscovado sugar

2 carrots, finely chopped

2 sticks celery, finely chopped

330ml bottle Guinness

200ml beef stock made with beef oxo cube

2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)

chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

1 Boil the rabbits in a large saucepan for 45 minutes. Remove the meat to a plate.

2 Heat a little oil in the pan, add half the onions and fry for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the sugar and cook gently until the onions start to caramelise.

3 Add the carrots and celery and stir well for a minute or so. Return the meat to the pan, along with the Guinness and stock, and bring to the boil, stirring.

4 Add the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer gently for @ 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, add the remaining onions to the pan. Scatter with parsley and serve.

Super Stuffed Meatloaf!

Did it get its name because the meatloaf is stuffed and super, or because you will super stuff yourself with it? IUNO! This Italian-style meatloaf has a light, just-right consistency, and is so juicy it won't need extra gravy or sauce. Measurements can be done by eye and tweaked to suit, but don't substitute for the provolone!

Prep time: ~30 mins

Total cook time: ~2½ hours

Recommended skill level: Apprentice

Serves: 8 easily, can be halved but you'll have to work out your own bake times in that case.

Cost of ingredients: ~$20 US, depending on what odds and ends you already have.

• 2 eggs
  • 2 cups unseasoned bread crumbs
  • ½ cup grated parm (canister stuff is fine)
  • sm can sliced black olives (2-3 oz)
  • ~7oz. roasted red peppers (about ½ a 14.5 oz. jar or about ¾ a large pepper if you make your own)
  • ~8 oz. sliced or shredded provolone (that's about 1 12-slice package from the deli section)
  • a little onion (to taste, I used a leftover quarter of a medium-sized vidalia)
  • 4 cloves garlic (or 4 cloves' worth of pre-minced from jar, fresh is better)
  • ~1½ cups PLAIN spaghetti or pizza sauce (jar/can or homemade)
  • basil (fresh is better, ¼ cup, or 1½ tsp dried)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 4-5 red potatoes

1) Pre-heat oven to 375 F.

2) Mince garlic & finely dice onion, and finely chop fresh basil if you have it.

3) Add that stuff + ½ tsp salt + ¼ tsp pepper + bread crumbs + parm + eggs + ½ cup or so of the sauce + ground beef to a large bowl. Mix with your hands until everything is thoroughly blended.

4) Cover your counter with plastic wrap or wax paper. Take mixture from bowl and spread it over plastic/paper to make a rectangle ½" thick. The shorter side should be 2-3" shorter than your baking pan.

5) Top your slab first with the provolone like you would a pizza, covering all but the last ½" of each edge. Then also top with diced roast red peppers and olives.

6) Starting with either short side, roll the slab over and onto itself like a jelly roll, to make something kind of log-shaped that will fit in your pan. You can use the plastic/paper under it to help roll it without breaking it. Seal the ends and seam.

7)) Line your pan with aluminum foil and coat the foil with cooking spray. Place the meatloaf seam-side down in the pan.

8) Wash and slice the potatoes into ~16ths (like steak fries cut in half, skins on), and place all around the meatloaf. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375 F on center rack for 40 mins.

9) Remove meatloaf from oven. Spoon remaining sauce over meatloaf (not potatoes). Two ladles full is probably enough to mostly cover the top, and that's all you want, don't over-sauce. Return to oven uncovered and reduce heat to 350. Bake for another 40 mins - 1hr. Oven times vary - just make sure it looks done and internal temp >= 165 F as measured by a food thermometer. Don't worry if potatoes get a little dark at the tips, that just makes them better. They will caramelize a little from the meat juices at the bottom, and be awesome.

10) When done, re-cover with foil and let sit 10-15 mins before slicing.

Options:

• Sauté some baby portobellos in butter & wine/Worcestershire sauce to sprinkle over slices while plating.
  • Or, sub mushrooms for the olives if you just absolutely hate olives - but the olives are just awesome in this, not too strong at all.
  • Best veggie sides are neutral greens, like sauteed asparagus, or steamed sugar-snap peas.
  • Leftovers make the best meatloaf sandwiches you ever put in your face.

Edited by Khettienna

• 1 month later...

Well about time to give this thread some love. there was a request for my grandma`s recipe for pickled apples so...

1 peck of pickling crab apples.

4 cups sugar.

3 cups vinegar.

a "couple" sticks of cinnemon.

a "handful" of cloves..(about 1/2 cup she thinks)

bring vinegar and sugar to boil with the cloves and the cinnemon sticks (in a bag). Add apples and warm through untill the skins start to break. Seal in sterilized jars... No further directions such as...how long to wait before scarffing them up..:rofl:

EDIT: Ok it seems our Lilith is a veteran canner and she advised to let them sit in the jars a couple of weeks but a month or more would be better. Thanks sis. ♥♥

Edited by donnato