DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Unofficial TESA Foodie thread

WhoGuru

I think I'll be testing out this insanely decadent looking recipe over the weekend: Nutella-Pretzel Brownies. I am kind of a sucker for the combination of salty and sweet, but I may reduce the white sugar a bit since brown sugar and Nutella should be plenty sweet enough. :)

Meanwhile, here's our reliable Milk Chocolate Brownie recipe, which we found in Gourmet years ago, when it was still around. My husband works at a chocolatier, so he's always bringing home surplus chocolate, both dark and milk varieties, so we need to get rid of it, often. :D

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter

8 ounces fine-quality milk chocolate, chopped

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 large eggs

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.

Melt butter and half of chocolate in a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is glossy and smooth.

Whisk together remaining ingredients, then stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chocolate.

Spread batter in pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs adhering, 25 to 30 minutes.

Can I move in next door greenewarden? I think you need me as a neighbor :D

I always seem to have the items on hand for the brownie recipe I've carted around for years, from where it came I do not know.

Brownies

5 ounces (140 grams) Semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces. (Occasionally I use salted butter and omit the other salt)

2 Tablespoons (15 grams) cocoa powder

1 cup (200 grams) white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 large eggs

3/4 cup (95 grams) all purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup (125 grams) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips (optional)

3/4 cup (125 grams) walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 f (177 c) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter an 8 inch (20cm) square pan.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a large stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar. Next whisk in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally stir in the flour, salt, choco-chips and nuts (if using).

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little batter and a few moist clumps clinging to it. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. These freeze well.

Two new things I made while on vacation! Amounts are approximate, so uh, just do your best. XD

BEEF RIBS (served with fresh corn on the cob, cheddar biscuits, & salad)

• ~2 pounds beef short ribs
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup red wine*
  • 1/4 cup olive oil**
  • heavy spoonful all-purpose flour
  • handful brown sugar
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine or minced
  • 3-4 shakes curry powder

*add more wine if you need more liquid to cover

**separated from the rest during baking, possibly reduce to a tablespoon or two

Pre-heat oven to ~375.

Mix all ingredients except ribs in a bowl.

Boil ribs gently in large pot for ~15 mins or until no longer pink.

Place ribs on baking sheet or casserole dish & paint with 1/2 the sauce.

Bake for ~30 mins, or until meat flakes easily with a fork.

Edit: Whoops, missed a bit. :rofl: About halfway during baking, coat ribs with the rest of the sauce.

BAKED CHICKEN QUARTERS (served with asparagus & rice noodles)

• 4 chicken quarters with bone & skin
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine or minced
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 2 dashes of season salt
  • heavy splash of white whine
  • spoonful of hot mustard (can sub mustard seeds or honey mustard or whatever)

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Mix all ingredients except chicken in a small bowl.

Cover all sides of each chicken quarter with sauce. Important! Make SURE you shove some of the sauce UNDER the skin flap thing. Don't be afraid to pull the skin up a little to get the seasonings in.

Put the chicken quarters in a casserole dish. Make sure they have room to breathe, 'cause they won't cook evenly if they are smooshed together.

Bake for an hour uncovered.

Turn heat up to 400 and bake for another 15 mins, or until cooked all the way through. Skin should be crispy, and attempts to remove chicken from casserole dish should result in meat falling off the bone and having to use tongs or a big spoon.

Edited by Khettienna

Those sound yummy Khett! :drool:

Here to share a summertime treat since the weather is warming up.

Lemon Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter an 8 x 8 inch pan.

Shortbread Crust:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1 cup flour

1/8 teaspoon salt

Lemon Filling:

1 cup granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (approx 2 large lemons)

1 tablespoon lemon zest

2 tablespoons flour

Garnish:

Powdered sugar

Shortbread Crust: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add the flour and salt and beat until the dough just starts to come together. Press onto the bottom of your prepared pan and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes, or just until lightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool while you make the filling.

Lemon Filling: In your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the sugar and eggs until smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir to combine. Fold in the flour. Pour the filling over the shortbread crust and bake for about 17-20 minutes, or just until the filling has set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar. These are best eaten the day they are made but can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Two things to report:

1) We made the pretzel-Nutella brownies this weekend and dear Lord...so yummy. Our pretzel crust was much darker than what you see in the blog pics, even though we didn't burn them, so I dunno. It was no less yummy for that, though.

2) lilith's lemon bars are going to haunt my dreams. They're next on the to-do list (along with Khetty's beef ribs). Actually, beef ribs and coleslaw, with lemon bars and iced tea for dessert sound like summer weather perfection, so... I'm off to track down a really good slaw recipe.

• 3 weeks later...

To Die For No-Bake Cookies

I always double the recipe because one batch just does not go very far... For some unknown reason, they seem to evaporate.

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 cup sugar

Combine in 2 quart pan (or in my case, a BIG pan). I usually have the burner on very low, to melt the butter, and then I mix it with a spatula until all the cocoa powder is mixed in well.

Cook on HIGH and when the mixture starts to boil, set the timer for exactly 1 minute. After the timer goes off, remove from heat and stir in the special ingredient, peanut butter, to taste. I usually put in two big spoonfuls for each batch. Then mix in the peanut butter until is melted and mixed in to the mixture well.

3 cup INSTANT oatmeal

1 tsp vanilla

(optional) 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice

Stir well and drop spoon fulls on wax paper.

Let cool until they evaporate...

The peanut butter makes the cookie a lot 'smoother' to the tongue. Normal no-bakes are a bit 'gritty' in my opinion. And make sure your using Instant Oatmeal or the cookies will be runny and not turn out very well. And don't use too much oatmeal, or the cookie will be dry and crumbly. Just some things I have learned. :)

2 lbs ground meat

1 lb pork or beef chorizo (Mexican sausage)

1/2 cup diced onions (half of a large yellow onion)

1 10oz can of tomatoes and chillies (Ro-tel or similar)

1 10oz can of tomatoes and chillies with lime and cilantro (Ro-tel or similar)

2 gloves garlic mashed and diced

3-4 tortilla shells

1 bag of shredded cheese (about 2 cups). I use a four cheese blend.

1 16oz can of pinto or black refried beans.

Preheat oven to 425

In a dutch oven* or cast iron chicken fryer (a 2 quart skillet) brown the meat, garlic, and onions. Drain and return to the skillet and add in both cans of the Ro-tel as well as the chorizo. Reduce until the liquid is gone and place the mixture in a bowl. Liberally lube the bottom of the dutch oven with oil or lard (lard melts, so a Tbl should be fine) and place a tortilla shell in it. Top with about 2 tbsp of the beans and spread out, covering the shell. Layer on the meat and top with some of the cheese. Repeat with the rest of the shells, beans, meat, and cheese until you reach the top. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted. Serves about 6.

*or any large sauce pan that's oven proof. You can also use a round casserole dish for the oven baking, but I like keeping things to as few dishes as possible.

• Upvote 1

No, because the chorizo I get comes in a 10oz tube. I just dump it in with the Ro*tel and stir occasionally. I used to brown it with the meat, but I was losing a lot of the juices when I drained the meat, so I stopped doing that. I forget the manufacturer, but the chorizo comes in a white case with red lettering. The pork is the same case but has green lettering.

Cornbread

This works best when cooked in an iron skillet. I use a chicken fryer, which is a deep dished skillet about 10 inches across and 4 inches deep. A regular skillet will work just as well, but your bread will be flatter. Check the heat tolerances if you're using a non cast iron skillet. NEVER put anything with a plastic or wooden handle in the oven!

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups yellow corn meal

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/3 cups AP flour

1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I ran out and used some whole milk, but full buttermilk is better)*

3/4 cup sugar (optional. I prefer it without the sugar)

3 eggs

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

4 Tbsp melted butter or canola oil (or other flavorless oil like peanut oil. Lard or shortening can also be used, but melt it first)

1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:

If using a cast iron skillet: pour in enough oil (or shortening or lard) to coat the bottom of the skillet and preheat in the oven to 425 degrees. You want enough to keep the batter from sticking, but not enough to cover it when you first pour it in. If it does, just drain off some. If using a baking dish, prep it thoroughly with butter, oil, or shortening and do not heat it until you're ready to bake.

Combine all the other ingredients and pour the batter into the preheated skillet or prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is a light brown. If baked in a skillet, this will have a very crunchy brown crust, but the insides will be almost cake like. Serves about 9.

*If you don't have buttermilk, combine 1 Tbl, 1 tsp, and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice to the cup and a half of milk and let it sit for five minutes. Stir before adding it in.

---

Chili

2 lbs ground beef (or flank steak)

2 Tbsp chili powder*

1 Tbsp salt (if desired)

2 Tbsp garlic powder

1 small onion diced

3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper

2 16 oz cans of beef broth

1 cup flour or ground oatmeal (I use a coffee grinder)

1 cup whiskey

6-7 peeled whole tomatoes or about half of a large can's worth, finely chopped or crushed. Tomato paste can be substituted if a more tomato flavor is desired.

Place the ground beef in a large sauté pan and cover with all of the onion and whiskey. Add in some of the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, and salt. Brown over medium heat stirring occasionally to keep the meat from sticking until all of the meat is brown throughout (there should be little to no pink if cut open). Drain and place back into the sauce pan or a large pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the flour and cook down. Add in the flour a little at a time stirring constantly until the desired thickness of the sauce is achieved. Goes great over tortilla chips or rice with cheese on top.

I made this in a cast iron Dutch oven with great results. The oven was a campfire version and did not have the ceramic lining that some have.

*Quick and easy chili powder recipe:

My father-in-law makes this great chili powder he adapted from an Alton Brown recipe.

Ingredients

3 ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 cascabel chilies, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 dried Japones chilies, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 guajillos, stemmed, seeded and sliced

2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions

Place all of the chilies and the cumin into a medium nonstick sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chilies and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

---

Sloppy Joes

2 lbs ground meat/chuck (I use 80/20)

1 medium onion diced

4 cloves garlic smashed and diced

2 tbsp paprika (smoked or sweet)

1 small red bell pepper with the seeds and inner membrane removed and diced.

2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper (or pepper medley)

2 15oz cans of tomato sauce

Salt to taste

Add the veggies and the meat into a large sauce pan or dutch oven (I used a cast iron chicken fryer). Sprinkle on 1 tbsp of the paprika and black pepper and brown the meat until there are no pink spots and the veggies are mostly cooked (the onions should be slightly transparent and browned at the edges). Drain and put back into the pot and add the tomato sauce. Add the rest of the paprika and pepper and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the tomato sauce loses some of its bright red color. Serve on hamburger buns with plenty of napkins. Spices can be adjusted up or down or substituted with other spices per taste, but everybody here liked this version. Goes great with potato fries/chips cooked in lard or peanut oil.

Chili

1 cup whiskey

I remember seeing a programme about this on the telly a while back where a rather obsessed chef called Heston Blumenthal was determined to find out what made the perfect chilli. I seem to recall it was important that the whisky in question was bourbon (I think) and that the likes of scotch probably wouldn't have the same effect. It was years ago so my memory is hazy, but I think it was something to do with the type of barrels that they use.

sorry for the size of the picture but this is me house favorite...

tumblr_m1m5vg2GWC1r61yvxo1_1280.jpg

Here it is lol.. prep for Braciole, Sicilian main course.

My mini always says it looks like turkey stuffing lol but It’s a mixture of sauteed onions, garlic, and Italian sausage. Mixed together with two eggs, Italian bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, pecorino romano cheeses and small diced pancetta. Thin sliced steak wrapped up with prosciutto. Brown then shimmered in homemade gravy (marinara sauce) for 2 hours. Goes well with a wonderful Australian Shiraz imo

• 2 weeks later...

The chorizo I use is called Cacique and comes in 10oz logs of either beef or pork. I wouldn't eat it straight out of the packaging, but it's usually cooked after the water from the tomatoes and green chili peppers has been cooked off.