DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Unofficial A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

WhoGuru

Game_Thrones.jpg

This thread is for discussion of the series of books by George R R Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire and the related Television series by HBO, Game of Thrones.

ALL POSTS MUST USE THE SPOILER TAGS No exceptions. Anyone who hasn't read the books will not know any of the events after the series. DO NOT ruin it for them. If they want to know, they can click the spoilers. So please, use the Spoiler tags and make a note if you are referring to events in the books. This will help the Show viewers to know which posts are bound to ruin something for them.

The books are:

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons (Coming July 12th)

Season one of the series covers the events of the first book. Season Two will pick up with the second novel according to HBO's site and is tentatively due out in or around April of 2012.

916b6_GAME-OF-THRONES_510.jpg

Season Finale

Okay, having just watched the finale I have to say they did a brilliant job bringing this to life! The only thing I would liked to have seen that didn't make it from the book is Khal Drogo's spirit rising up from the bonfire on his horse to smile down at Dani before riding off. The Dragons look AMAZING

:wub: Next season is gonna be fun from a special effects point of view. :lmao:

I had never read them til I saw the first episode. :lmao: That made me have to go out and find them and once I started reading, I couldn't put them down. :wub:

I watched the whole first season, but now really regret not reading the book/s first. Do you think its too late or will I still be able to enjoy the novels?

I was very impressed with the soundtrack. As soon as I can get my hands on it, it is going into my Oblivion music folder.

If anything, now reading the books will be even more enjoyable with actual faces to put on the characters, and decors and environments.

Actually... I prefer it other way around. :) I always find films vague compared to books, for example Harry Plotter as most obvious and first one I could remember... Films were like 50% of book content and the quality went downward with each film IMO.

I watched the whole first season, but now really regret not reading the book/s first. Do you think its too late or will I still be able to enjoy the novels?

I was very impressed with the soundtrack. As soon as I can get my hands on it, it is going into my Oblivion music folder.

If anything, now reading the books will be even more enjoyable with actual faces to put on the characters, and decors and environments.

Yep Meo's right. Reading the books now will only be that much better. I rather enjoyed reading them and having Sean Bean in my head reading about Eddard Stark. :lmao:

Actually... I prefer it other way around. :) I always find films vague compared to books, for example Harry Plotter as most obvious and first one I could remember... Films were like 50% of book content and the quality went downward with each film IMO.

Oh lord don't get me started on Harry Potter films. XD The fourth movie was just....I can't say what I think without bleeping every other word. :rofl:

I have read all the books and it's hands down my favorite fantasy series. It's a very believable world that George Martin has created. I have good hopes for the series, but have to wait a bit as I'm in The Netherlands.

I think you'll love it StarX! They've done an amazing job staying faithful. :clap:

I haven't read the books yet but now that I've seen the TV show, I'm definitely planning on it. The whole story has me fascinated. And I was REALLY impressed with the show. I thought they did a terrific job with bringing the world to life and it was very well written too.

April 2012 can't come fast enough. :dizzy:

I went out and bought the first book, and I have to say the first few chapters follow closely with the first episode. So far its excellent and all the extra details really add extra depth to whats in the show.

It seems silly to do movie adaptations when television series capture a book so much better. I bet Harry Potter would have made one great series as the school year format would fit so well into a TV season.

This is going to be a tough week with this book and Ocarina of Time competing for my attention...

Truthfully, I thought the books were quite bad, but the show is another matter. Lots of fun, thanks to a fantastic cast, and snappy set design. It will make for a great weekend TV marathon eventually, the kind where you eat nothing but frozen pizza and never get out of your footy PJs. :D

Too bad he had to die. Is it just me or does every character he plays die?

Seriously. I even knew it was coming from reading the books and it STILL sucked! LOL

Truthfully, I thought the books were quite bad, but the show is another matter. Lots of fun, thanks to a fantastic cast, and snappy set design. It will make for a great weekend TV marathon eventually, the kind where you eat nothing but frozen pizza and never get out of your footy PJs. :D

:lmao: Mr Guru tried to read them and got bored. All the political intrigue made his eyes cross. I on the other hand LOVE that stuff. :drool: Eat it up.

Nah, the machinations and scheming are what I did like, and ultimately why I like the show so far (well, that and the cast :wub:). What I didn't like about the books were the trite, clunky and imagination-suffocating descriptions of, well, just about everything- from bread to sex. And since the descriptions were 1) not unique ( as in "wow, I never would have thought of snow like that before") and 2) repetitious, I wondered sometimes why he bothered. I can fill in the blanks with cliches perfectly fine on my own. Some writers have a knack for bringing every detail of a scene to life, or even better for me, have a knack for zeroing in on just the right details needed to make it work in the first place, while others just seem to choke the life out of the scene with too much description. IMO, the books suffer from the latter. *shrug* YMMV, and all that. Personally I like breathing room for my imagination when I read, and enjoy doing a little work to picture the events of the story. On the other hand, all of the descriptions probably really helped the art department realize the settings very fully and accurately, so that's great.

But as I said, the plotting and conniving are actually what I liked about the books. And now that I don't need to wade through the writing, I can finally honestly enjoy the stories for themselves because the dude does know how to spin a yarn. :D

My brothers and their friends have been hooked up on Game of Thrones ever since they started reading the books around 8 years ago. Then they started playing the card game like there's no tomorrow. Every 2-3 days, they'd all sit down around the table and play for hours. They even made a fan movie with our cheap camera about the card game, with them dressing up like the series' characters. :D

I was not interested in that at the time. It's only when I started watching the series this season that I'm discovering this universe. I've now started reading the books and, hopefully, I'll be done with all of those that are released before the second TV season begins.

What I love the most are (First Season/Book spoiler)

Lord Baelish and the "Spider". The dialogue between them is my favourite. All those word duels between them and how even if they don't trust each other and constantly keep watch on the other, they manage to "work together". My favorite character so far Tyrion though. I didn't like him at first but now I love the little imp's personality.

When having a bad day, watching Tyrion slap Joffrey should help.

Now I need a cool Game of Thrones T-Shirt. :D

There are rumors about three new actors joining for season two... really dont look if you dont want to be spoilered (is that even a word?)

Christopher Eccleston (9th Doctor) for either Stannis Baratheon or Balon Greyjoy, Tony Curran (those damn Scottish actors, gotta love'em) and Natalie Dormer (Anne Boleyn in The Tudors) as Margaery Tyrell.

Fingers crossed!