DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

An Introduction to Baked Normals

Nekronom

While reading through IS's blender tutorial earlier today, It struck me that it was the perfect opportunity to write a tutorial on baked normals and there advantages. So here we go, Hold on to your hats everyone.

Requirements:

3ds max, blender, or other 3d modeling program.

Skill Level: Easy

Time to Complete: 5-10 minutes.

So we start off with two cubes:

IS's (IS Variant) standing at 113:

39336847.jpg

and the other method brought up in the thread (tri box), standing at 76polys:

47824465.jpg

From here, we see the differences in Sub-D on each one.

Notice all the nice edges in this one.

37028016.jpg

and while this one looks vey similar, notice the excessive warping and pinching in the wireframe and on the corners.

63112253.jpg

Here we have a quick Uv map as well as smoothing groups layed according to the uvw islands. This is CRUCIAL, If the smoothing groups do not line up with the islands, you will get blatant seams!

35048035.jpg

In this image we can see the "cage"(blue wireframe) being setup to encompass the High poly model so the textures will be captured correctly

87562974.jpg

Notice The box on the left(Tri box), appears with an Ambient Occlusion texture, and normal map baked from the correct Sub-D mesh (IS Variant)

24774314.jpg

Edited by Nekronom

I salute your effort Nekronom and im sorry if this comes out the wrong way, but this looks more like an image gallery than a tutorial. Without detailed steps, a novice would find it very hard to replicate your process. I suggest you stick to one application and describe in details each step it takes to achieve baked textures.

Yeah, I got nothing out of this for Blender. Its hard to do cross platform tutorials if you dont explain the differencess in process for each, at which point it would be easier to do individual programs. Im a visual person, but this is too much visual.

I feel like I was so negative typing this...