DarkRider

CS Basics: Lesson #1

89 posts in this topic

Ironside, good start. :clap:

Couple of things;

I only see 3 tapestries, there should be 4.

For the extra credit, I only see one dresser, there should be 2, and I don't see a bookshelf.

You can continue on as is without the marks for extra credit or you can correct it. :)

the tapestries where there as well as the bookcase, I just suck at taking pictures to show it lol. The object list i screen printed should help

Ok, for future reference, you'll have to get good at taking pictures. ;)

I need to see everything that's done in the lesson.

You can continue on to Lesson #2.

Seriously, how do you guys manage to do this without resizing objects?

To make them fit inside the farm house. Paintings didn't sit between the beams, for instance.

Well, I think they look fine, but if you want to resize it's easy enough. Once you place the painting (or object) in the render window, double click on it to open it's reference box. Adjust the "Scale" lower than the default 1.0 down to 0.7 or 0.6. Play with the size until you feel it fits.

You can also, after selecting the object press "'s" and move the mouse along the x-axis ... I like keyboard shortcuts myself. Which I find helpful for fitting an object in a tight space, resize, move, resize, check.

imho Ek

P.S. Good work iron' :thumbup:

Edited by Ekanar

kk, one small rug question, some rugs are fairly thick, when I place a chair half on the back legs are off the ground (not noticeable in game but), if I push the rug down through the floor the fringe goes ba bye. I can place a knife on a rug and lose it, any workaround or ideas how to avoid rug pitfalls.

Just laying around,

Ek

Yeah, you have to do your best to work around it. For example, I would sink the front of the chair into the rug so the back legs are flush on the flat floor. That's how it would look IRL anyway. Just remember, people aren't going to get down that close to the floor to see things like that. :)

This one has something to add to the shortcuts. If one has no scroll wheel, they can hold down the V key and drag the mouse forward or back.

Excellent work so far, Jada. :thumbsup: Full marks.

You can continue on to Lesson #2.

I'am Very new to this. How to I post an Image for the first lesson?

Sorry for the delayed response, rgaraas. Welcome to TESA and to the CS Basics Classes. :)

You can either upload images to any photo site (like Photobucket) and link the images here, or you can create your own gallery right here at TESA. Here's how to get started.

Hi,

I just finished up Lesson #1.  I was going to add light but will wait until a later lesson to do that.  I did browse forward before making this mod and see that we are going to be building on the prior lessons and did not want to make anything complicated.

You can find my pictures here.  I did not want to get photobucket account and neither was I able to create a new album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.406778169453981.1073741846.100003654038192&type=1

Time to go and read Lesson 2.   :P

Edited by ScampsAreOurFriends

Two new students, excellent. :)  Have a seat, and some :cookie4u:

Scamp; Unfortunately, I do not have a facebook account, therefore I cannot see your posted pictures. As for your gallery issues, it's been answered. Multiple galleries come with premium membership. If that's not an option for you, you can post your pics in your existing gallery, and delete them after I've marked the homework if you don't want them to stay there.

jrtibayan; Nice work so far, but please, remove the green lighting. It's very difficult to see. I'm also going to point out one of our strict rules here in class;

However, with advanced skills comes the temptation to show off a bit and add in resources and other custom touches like different interiors or locations. Screenshots of your work will only confuse and invalidate the other students who are just learning, so such images will be nixed and you won't get credit for your work toward a CS Medal. If you want to do the work, you must do the assignment within the outlined spirit of the class.

Once the class is completed and points are tallied everyone, beginner and advanced students alike, are welcome to add whatever they like to their creation to make it custom.

So please, remove the Christmas tree and theme until after you've completed the class. You have achieved full marks for the homework and the extra credit, you may move on to lesson #2. :)

A note to Blind2Society, I'm terribly sorry that I did not notice you had attempted the lesson a few months ago. If you are still interested, please PM me and we'll get you on your way.

Hi,

I'm going to set up a photobucket account.  However I'll probably get that done later this weekend if not at the first of next week.  I'll submit my pictures then.

I'm going to remove the <coughs> door I added for aesthetic purposes ;)

I'm hoping to follow the Basics course, so I've posted Lesson 1's homework screenprints here.  I'd like to go for the Extra Credit, too, please. So far, to cover the Assignment and Extra Credit requirements to the letter, I've added only the objects specified -- no more, no fewer (I hope!)

Do I do the practice adding more furniture, statics, and lights on my own?  Not submitting it, I mean, but just going ahead with it once I know if this homework was successful and before I start Lesson 2?

Thanks for your time!

Hello Bess and welcome to class. :)

No need for you to 'practice', you'll be adding those things in lesson 2 and beyond. I'll check your lesson 1 homework shortly.