DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Indoor Garden

UmTheMuse

I would like to create an indoor garden. I put all the pieces that I would like (plants, trees, other wildlife, etc) inside, but I can't figure out a couple of things:

*I can open up the landscape editor, but I can't get the circle to appear. Can I create soil indoors?

*I would like to open up the ceiling for a "skylight" type of effect. I suppose if I can make soil, then I can just delete the middle sections of my design, but are there any other options to fit with the Ayleid Ruins playset otherwise?

*Certain plants show up as purple, like the cattails. These are purple and semi-translucent in-game and in the CS. What's going on?

*I know that you shouldn't put too many things in the same cell so that people with slower computers don't get annoyed with your mod. Is there any kind of rule of thumb about how much stuff is too much?

1) It's not possible to create soil in an interior cell. Your best bet is to use existing flowerpots or to make a custom mesh.

2) You may be able to delete just the roof with some nifskope alchemy, and there may be floor-only pieces under the exterior tab. A custom model is another option.

3) Purple meshes are a sign of missing textures.

4) No idea, sorry. I have a cell at 950 refs (720k faces) that runs fine, though.

Common sense works okay for detailing in a cell. Vanilla is a sort of okay measure for it, but they skimped a lot on how much clutter they could have fit.

As for the soil, Lady_Nerevar is correct. You can try some of the vanilla static objects that have soil-like properties, but they can't be altered like actual landscape.

The Skingrad castle exterior floor pieces

Various large rocks

Edited by ub3rman123

Thanks for the responses.

Nifscope and custom whatevers are probably beyond my ken at this point, unfortunately (did I mention that this was part of the CS Basics class?). Flowerpots sound tacky for what I've got, though it's a good idea to keep in mind for later. I think I'll just leave my current solution of adding a couple feet of water to cover the ground with. It's supposed to be a water garden, but if the water level is lower, it should work better for me as it will keep characters from being able to swim to the bottom.

Is there an easy way to darken the water? I would like to have a murky, muddy sort of water for the rice plants and such.

It's too bad about the purple meshes. I think that they would've been a nice touch to Oblivion. Along with ducks. Ducks and reeds would've been really awesome. Heck, any kind of bird would've been a welcome addition. Ah well.

The limit is over 900? Um, ok, I don't think I'll be hitting that any time soon :lol:

Is there a way to move this thing to the outside? Like, not actually in Tamriel, but still behave like the outdoors? I checked the box for it to behave like the outdoors...

There are a couple different water texture options if you right click your cell name and go to Edit. I don't think there's anything exactly like what you're looking for, but you can experiment.

One option could be to create a custom worldspace and build your interior within it. This would also give you access to the landscape editor, and real skies. Just go to World>Worldspaces, right click the list and select New. Name it, save, and it's ready to go.

Sounds like somebody is getting carried beyond the scope of this assignment :blink:

Yeah, I didn't realize what I was getting into :lmao: I thought that there'd be a simple, easy solution. Besides just covering everything up in knee-deep water, of course :lol:

So, thank you all for your kind suggestions. I'll keep them in mind when I get experienced enough to actually implement them or if somebody wants to give me a step-by-step guide. Until then, I'm sticking with the wonderful tutorial that DarkRider has graciously provided.

I tried Lady Nerever's solution, but I got lost and bewildered by the sea of purple that stretched as far as the eye could see. I tried to raise the land with the landscape editor, but got nothing. I tried the next option down the list (height-map editor?), but I'm pretty sure that it was written by aliens :oblivion: I tried for a second or two, anyway. I ended up with some pretty concentric circles by holding down the mouse button after clicking one of the buttons on top (which don't have the helpful labels that the other parts of the CS have). That was fun, but not quite what I had in mind. Back to Ol' Trusty, the landscape editor. I tried to raise a mountain out of the purple mists, but I crashed the CS and ended the garden world in the blink of an eye. So I don't think that I'm ready for this level of responsibility yet. I'll try again when I'm a little older :P

Beana's solution sounds promising, though. That sounds like that "turn shield items into static shields" post. Should I try that, or be happy with what I have?

• 12 years later...

Speaking of Northmarkers: I found one the while looking at a Cave Interior. I guess that they're only for Caves? I guess, as well, we'll cover that with time, or are Northmarkers for all interior areas?

I'm just sort of curious about that.

Maybe it's a bit off topic. Just curious.