DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Leveling scripts?

emrepus

Hello!

I would like to know how leveling commences in oblivion (in terms of what scrips are involved, as I cannot find them).

I already know a few things about the CS for example how to make the basic things like my own races, classes, birthsigns and stuff... also I am familiar with a few settings like fActorLuckMult etc.

But I cannot find the script that actualy levels the character... is this in the gamecore? If so, how do I deactivate leveling, so that it does not interfere with my own script I would want to write?

Help would be very appreciated,

emrepus

Using setPCMajorSkillUps to set the skill-ups to zero just resets it so that the player doesn't have any skill-ups. The iLevelUpSkillCount just controls how many skill-ups are needed for the player to level. As I said, read the Wiki - it's all explained in there.

Sorry but that does not answear my question, as I was talking about iLevelUpSkillCount and not setPCMajorSkillUps. To clarify: What happens if I set iLevelUpSkillCount to zero or minus 1? I cannot find an answear to that question in the CS wiki. (Which I searched of course and I did not think I'd have to mention that, in order to not get this - "As I said, read the Wiki - it's all explained in there." - answear.

I asked this question, because I did not want to try it and risk my game to crash... but nvm I will do that now.

iLevelUpSkillCount: 0 = game crashes

iLevelUpSkillCount:-1 = level up every skill level

@AndalayBay: Above being said, I do not like your attitude. First you do not answear my questions (I never asked about how OBSE does it, I asked about how the game does it), so you did not read it attentive enough, and then you throw a CS-Wiki HOMEPAGE link at me. Instead you could have just told me to google Constroction Set, which would be of the same help. Then in your second post you still don't know what my question is about, but you just tell me whats on the WIKI if you search for the two funktions mentioned by you. Congratulations. I registered yesterday and thought this is a good project to help beginners in oblivion modding like me, but instead I am treated like I use the internet the first time. Now I really think about quitting here and sell my game...

Edited by emrepus

Steady there, emrepus. I'm sure no slight was intended. I know it can be frustrating at times when you first get started, having just started myself.

One thing that you might want to consider doing is looking up the various leveling mods that already exist. See if you can unravel how they did things. Oblivion seems to have quite a few idiosyncrasies, but if you take things one step at a time, you should be able to get it in no time.

From the comments posted above, I think that the "ridiculous number" that they're talking about here is a ridiculously high number. The idea being that the amount of experience neccessary to advance to the next level would be so huge that the player cannot reach it on their own.

Well, you experimented and what I expected to happen, happened. Levelling isn't controlled by a script you can find by looking in the CS; it's in the game core, as you said. The Game Settings dialogue window lists the variables used in the formulas that calculate various aspects of the game, one of them being levelling. That ridiculously high number Hey You mentioned can be just one more than the total amount of possible skill increases: if a player starts with all skills at level 1, it would be multiplying the number of skills by 99 and you'd get the number you want. Then just add 1. Or set it to a rally high number because there are mods that allow you to go all the way up to 255 (or more, if you use the console).

You can use OBSE to do so, just like AndalayBay said. Use the function she mentioned and set it to a number you want or to a changing number: for example, that number can increase or decrease as you level up. You cannot alter game settings (such as the one you mentioned) directly with a script in the vanilla game, unless you change them manually on the Game Settings dialogue box (and that is not only a static number but also only changeable in the CS). Using OBSE is the only way of changing them through a script (and, as I mentioned I am not familiar with OBSE commands, I'm not sure you can modify all of them with OBSE; someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Steady there, emrepus. I'm sure no slight was intended. I know it can be frustrating at times when you first get started, having just started myself.

One thing that you might want to consider doing is looking up the various leveling mods that already exist. See if you can unravel how they did things. Oblivion seems to have quite a few idiosyncrasies, but if you take things one step at a time, you should be able to get it in no time.

From the comments posted above, I think that the "ridiculous number" that they're talking about here is a ridiculously high number. The idea being that the amount of experience neccessary to advance to the next level would be so huge that the player cannot reach it on their own.

Yeah, I guess.

I understood the thing with the high number, but I was wondering, if 0 or -1 were possible, since to just set a higher number that you theoreticly cannot reach in not a good way to program stuff... as long as there are other possibilities. Since there aren't, I guess I have to go with this.

edit: typos

Edited by emrepus

It wasn't clear to me which number you were referring to so I attempted to answer both. I didn't give a complete answer because I didn't know. I referred you to the Wiki because I didn't know if you had read it or not. The Wiki contains all the information that is currently known. As players find out more stuff, they should update the Wiki but they don't, so their discoveries remain with them and are not published.

If someone doesn't answer your question, you might consider that it's because they don't know either. I have found that to be the case more often than not. That was certainly my case here: I have no idea what would happen if you set iLevelUpSkillCount to -1. I did say that it controls the number of skill-ups that are required to level. I meant from that that setting it to 0 would likely be invalid.