DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Mirrored object disappearing

Pronam

As there seems to be some experience here in the mirroring subject, I hoped someone could help out :P.

I'm trying to mirror the 'arstairsside01' nif model. Now, tutorial wise I think I know the trick so far.

You mirror the parts, then recalculate the normals for the inside/flip them.

I'm using the latest nifskope and the latest reported combined versions to get stuff in Blender to work as stated here.

Personally I'm using Windows 7 64bit and just regular CS. (no CSE)

Attempt 1:

Signal 1: When these acts are done..The textures vanish and show black instead in Blender.

Problem 1:

Upon export-> check in nifskope...the mesh seems to be mirrored wrongly and can't be fixed from that moment on using nifskope. Not with flip normals (it just makes them brighter on the inside) or flip face which doesn't do a thing.

Attempt 2:

Assuming that Blender is crazy. I flip the normals there to inwards and export. In nifskope it shows perfectly fine and seems ready to use in CS/world.

In CS I notice that once I get closer to the mesh it vanishes, in-game it shows the same. With flipping normals (just makes it brighter again) in nifskope it decreases the effects as "I can move closer"...but again upon close it'll go vanish again.

Any clue where I'm going badly...export maybe? Or some random other thing a novice in modeling can't spot :rolleyes:

Oh, first post. I tend to register a long while before I ever post at forums..so 'Hi :D'

-after edit:

I tried ub3r's solution but it gave not much of a difference.

Edited by Pronam

Try right-clicking on your NiTriStripsData and selecting Mesh>Update Center/Radius. The exporter occasionally messes up this value and it will cause the object to flick in and out of existence when you get to close to it. Doesn't sound exactly like your problem but it's worth a try. If that doesn't work post the exported NIF and we should be able to figure it out. :thumbup:

WT

Huh it is the radius setting that's giving you trouble, but it's combined with another problem.

If you right-click on the NiTriStrips and go Transform>Apply you'll see that the lighting corrects itself, this will also line it up correctly with it's bounding box in the CS. At that point your radius on the NiTriStripsData block becomes a negative integer. If you do the Mesh>Update Center/Radius at that point if fixes it. Presumably you could also just remove the " - " from the front of the value but I didn't test that.

Not entirely sure what happened to cause the problem in the first place. :question: Do you have "Apply Transform" checked in your export options? It's a pretty easy fix though. :thumbup:

Let us know if you have any more issues.

WT