DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The future of modding, and the future of the Nexus

Lanceor

Modding isn't a 9-5 job, nor should it be. If you want to make money making game content, then become a game developer.

Becoming a game developer isn't quite that easy. And believe it or not, modding is one avenue to attempt to break into that arena. Getting paid to do it would actually look better on your resume because of the perception that you've created a marketable product as opposed to a hobbyist game mod.

I certainly wouldn't mind being able to make a living doing this sort of thing. God knows finding work in a crap economy isn't going well, so anything, even $1/sale, would be welcome. At least I wouldn't starve to death.

I cannot really see why you folks think that coding for a platform like the iPhone or android is somehow different from spending that time coding for a "game platform" as a mod instead. There is really no difference. I put time into the code to make something unique that you then enjoy and pay me money for.

I must admit, that differentiation was a bit lost on me, too. :shrug:

I cannot really see why you folks think that coding for a platform like the iPhone or android is somehow different from spending that time coding for a "game platform" as a mod instead. There is really no difference. I put time into the code to make something unique that you then enjoy and pay me money for.

Also, you don't have to pay, you can go make your own mod, or DL a free mod. I think it may be better to look at things positively and see that having paid mods will give you much more selection, mods that actually finish development (instead of breaking apart halfway through), and being able to follow modders and support them.

I must admit, that differentiation was a bit lost on me, too. :shrug:

Think about the resources that are made by modders. Meo, Mr. Siika, Stroti (and others) provide lots of free resources for others to put in their mods (released or otherwise). Under "paid for" modding, you would have to purchase a lease to use these resources (since software and its included resources aren't "owned" by the buyer), then pay royalties to the authors out of what little you'd make from whatever mod(s) you make using them. This would cut into the profits of mod authors, greatly reducing the likelihood of them using these resources in the first place (thus making the community much less than what it currently is).

Then there are the free tools used by many, many modders: NifSkope, Mod Managers, Wrye Bash, etc. If "paid for" modding becomes a reality, these tools will no longer be free. Why should they, if modders are making money off of them? These tools would likely cost hundreds of dollars to purchase, given their functionality. If mods go for about $1-4 (and $4 would really be pushing it- the avrerage would most likely be $1.50 or $2), it would take several thousand downloads just to make up the expense of purchasing the tools used to help make them.

Before I took all of my mods down, I had a combined total of just over 10,000 downloads (which occurred over a period of three years). That would have barely covered the money I would have paid if I'd had to buy the tools I used.

The money problem only gets worse on collaborative projects. $1.50 isn't much to begin with, but what happens when you have to spread that across a team of 2, 3, 4 or more people?

And what about people like WillieSea, InsanitySorrow (and all the others) who provide help that some mods wouldn't have been made without? The mod authors make money off of their advice and guidance, but what do they (the advisors and guides) get in return? Nothing. What incentive would there then be for experienced modders to help noobs? None, since the noobs would just be more competitors in what would already be an extremely competitive market.

The modding community thrives on free sharing of resources, advice and cooperation. "Paid for" modding would utterly destroy that.

All in all, "paid for" modding is an extremely bad idea that will only harm the community, and cause many modders (myself included) to leave it permanently.

Think about the resources that are made by modders. Meo, Mr. Siika, Stroti (and others) provide lots of free resources for others to put in their mods (released or otherwise). Under "paid for" modding, you would have to purchase a lease to use these resources (since software and its included resources aren't "owned" by the buyer), then pay royalties to the authors out of what little you'd make from whatever mod(s) you make using them. This would cut into the profits of mod authors, greatly reducing the likelihood of them using these resources in the first place (thus making the community much less than what it currently is).

Exactly. It would have a chain reaction effect. If people are making money off my assets, then I want a cut of the profit. Payed assets are not generally a popular thing, so we sould risk losing a useful avenue of creation.

Then there are the free tools used by many, many modders: NifSkope, Mod Managers, Wrye Bash, etc. If "paid for" modding becomes a reality, these tools will no longer be free. Why should they, if modders are making money off of them? These tools would likely cost hundreds of dollars to purchase, given their functionality. If mods go for about $1-4 (and $4 would really be pushing it- the avrerage would most likely be $1.50 or $2), it would take several thousand downloads just to make up the expense of purchasing the tools used to help make them.

This is another big one. If you have ever been to the NifSkope site, you may have noticed their little banner stating an estimated effective $4.5million development cost. And they did it for free. If mods went payed, so would they. And they have arguably one of the most important tools in modding.

Before I took all of my mods down, I had a combined total of just over 10,000 downloads (which occurred over a period of three years). That would have barely covered the money I would have paid if I'd had to buy the tools I used.

Lets not forget to mention that this was 10,000 FREE downloads. If they they had a cost for the mods, you probably would only have seen maybe 5000 downloads at best.

And what about people like WillieSea, InsanitySorrow (and all the others) who provide help that some mods wouldn't have been made without? The mod authors make money off of their advice and guidance, but what do they (the advisors and guides) get in return? Nothing. What incentive would there then be for experienced modders to help noobs? None, since the noobs would just be more competitors in what would already be an extremely competitive market.
Indeed. I would be very reluctant to assist someone because my time would not be repaid. Currently, my time is repaid with knowing I can get assistance with my problems.

The modding community thrives on free sharing of resources, advice and cooperation. "Paid for" modding would utterly destroy that.

All in all, "paid for" modding is an extremely bad idea that will only harm the community, and cause many modders (myself included) to leave it permanently.

I wouldnt say I would stop modding, but I would not upload anything and keep things for myself.