DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Trouble with CTL

Tigersong

A while ago I found that the Construction Set won't open because of a problem with the CTL file. Here's what Tomlong at the Nexus had to say:

Are you running Win7 or Vista? If that is the case, install Oblivion outside of the Program Files (x86) folder. Alternatively, you can turn off the UAC on the Oblivion folder, but that is not enough for some users, it seems...

Now, does this mean I have to reinstall Oblivion, or will it be okay if I just move the files to a new location?

If you decide to move the oblivion directory, you MUST uninstall the game, and then reinstall where you really want it. There are entries that are put in the windows registry that a fair few of the tools folks like to use depend on to find what they are looking for. Just moving the directory does not update those entries, so, assorted things will be looking in the wrong spot to find what they want, and, strangely enough... it won't be there.

That said... the oblivion uninstaller isn't real bright. It only removes stock game files, and leaves everything else. You could conceivably uninstall the game, then, install oblivion/SI/whatever other dlc, (to get the game up to the right version...) and then just copy over the contents of your data folder. Keep in mind, mods that alter the ini, won't have had that done..... so, things like UI mods that alter fonts would have to be reinstalled as well.

You dont NEED to uninstall the game, you can just move your whole folder (Will take a while) But for windows to know where oblivion is, you need to uninstall it and reinstall. Its not a huge deal if you move your folder and uninstall the game. (Basically making windows no longer think its installed) and just run everything manually from the folders new location. Its what I do with almost all my games on my 1TB drive.

Yes, but if you expect things like OBMM, Wrye Bash, and TES4Edit to play along, you NEED the registry entries. The installer is the safest way to make sure those entries get made.

As far as the CTL error, it sounds like you're using a custom set of BSAs. The CS has its own ini file which needs to have the same list of BSAs your main game is using or it will choke.