DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Skyrim and my pc!!!

I'm sorry to start a thread like this. I know it's kinda lame,but I havn't had a PC since Oblivion and I'm a little out of the gaming PC loop.

Here's my specs:

Windows 7 64bit

AMD Phenom II x4 960t processor 3.0

8 gigs ram(don't know brand)

1.5 terabyte HD

integrated ATI graphics........this is the issue!!!!!

I have to get a new video card. Someone suggested the Raedeon hd 6970 1gb 256bit---etc,etc & a new power supply.

I'm wondering if this PC is any good compared to current gaming rigs, and I'd love some GPU suggestions. Is this a descent card or should I get something different? Money is an issue , but I'll look at anything.

I'd like to play this game with as many fps as possible, but I want it to look good. Any advice, suggestions welcome.

Thank you!!!!!

I'm sorry to start a thread like this. I know it's kinda lame,but I havn't had a PC since Oblivion and I'm a little out of the gaming PC loop.

Here's my specs:

Windows 7 64bit

AMD Phenom II x4 960t processor 3.0

8 gigs ram(don't know brand)

1.5 terabyte HD

integrated ATI graphics........this is the issue!!!!!

I have to get a new video card. Someone suggested the Raedeon hd 6970 1gb 256bit---etc,etc & a new power supply.

I'm wondering if this PC is any good compared to current gaming rigs, and I'd love some GPU suggestions. Is this a descent card or should I get something different? Money is an issue , but I'll look at anything.

I'd like to play this game with as many fps as possible, but I want it to look good. Any advice, suggestions welcome.

Thank you!!!!!

First, I want you to know that this post is coming from a technician who's more into the business side of computing instead of the gaming side:

Screw trying to get as many FPS as you can get, your eyes can't see more than 30 FPS. Yes, your computer is perfectly fine, and with a GPU upgrade will run Skyrim perfectly fine. Most of your performance in games is going to come from your graphics card, and your CPU is not going to affect performance much unless you have a CPU from the stone ages (which you don't). Any quad core will perform perfectly fine for the next few years in games provided that you mate it with a solid graphics card. Radeon 6970 is the way to go in regards to price per performance. If you want to spend extra money, then go with the Nvidia GTX 580, as it's currently the fastest card on the market. Be sure to upgrade your power supply though, I personally prefer PC Power and Cooling power supplies; I have their 750 watt running in my own system.

From the perspective of modding - especially with regard to texture packs - look into the 6970 with 2GB instead of 1GB. It is a virtual certainty that as the game moves forward into the future people will cook up amazing texture packs for the PC version which will consume large amounts of video memory. The more you have, the more you'll be able to enjoy them without running into problems. Combined with a solid 3GHz+ quad-core processor (which you have) and you should be good to go for 3-5 years with Skyrim.

Just don't get sucked into the hype behind the Radeon models with the X2 designation. They will have claims like "4GB of RAM" but the truth is that the system only sees 2GB because of how the whole internal Crossfire thing works. IMO, X2 GPUs should be considered scams until they change their misleading labeling.

Also agree with DarkWarrior, don't get sucked into the FPS game either. Human perception beyond 30fps doesn't happen. Plus games like Skyrim don't require ridiculous levels of performance to play unlike shooters.

Screw trying to get as many FPS as you can get, your eyes can't see more than 30 FPS.

This is untrue. I can distinguish the difference between 30 and 60 FPS easily.

However, in defense, it does require a trained eye to be able to do so, as the difference between 30 and 60 is much smaller than say, 30 and 15. Personally, I benchmark to 30FPS; if I can get 60, all the better, but maintaining a 30 average is what I shoot for. Unless the game is heavily modded for graphics, then I don't care about the FPS benchmark.

For power supply, the minimum for gaming nowadays is 500W, but I recommend a 750W if you are just going for a single card. The less you operate your PSU close to max capacity, the longer it will last. And get a name brand. Don't skimp on this one, because if it fails, it can ruin your entire system (personal experience here).

Edited by ThomasKaira

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm not trying to max the envelope as far as fps,but I'd like to get at least 30 with action on screen. When I played Oblivion I noticed when it dipped below that. I can't deal with constant stuttering action or slow-mo when I turn quickly. I'd rather deal with a little less bells and whistles than crappy fps......of course I'd like bells, whistles, and descent fps. ;)

As far as power supply ,I was planning on a rosewill stallion series 500watt. Any good? Again it was recommended by the fellow who recommended the card. Reviews seem to be alright, and he said he used one in his gaming pc.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm not trying to max the envelope as far as fps,but I'd like to get at least 30 with action on screen. When I played Oblivion I noticed when it dipped below that. I can't deal with constant stuttering action or slow-mo when I turn quickly. I'd rather deal with a little less bells and whistles than crappy fps......of course I'd like bells, whistles, and descent fps. ;)

As far as power supply ,I was planning on a rosewill stallion series 500watt. Any good? Again it was recommended by the fellow who recommended the card. Reviews seem to be alright, and he said he used one in his gaming pc.

I would shy away from Rosewill in my own personal opinion, as they have a tendency to use cheap parts and cheap capacitors, and cheap capacitors is usually what kills power supplies. My personal recommendation is to go with a Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power & Cooling brand PSU. Like I've said before, I personally prefer the PC Power & Cooling 750 watt unit.

Screw trying to get as many FPS as you can get, your eyes can't see more than 30 FPS.

This is untrue. Your eyes see in pure dynamic fluid motion, which is incomparable to frames per second.

As for card options. a GTX460 is cheap, fairly low power requirements and good enough to last you till next gen consoles. With 8GB of ram you dont need to worry about VRAM all that much. If all you want to do is play the game decently, dont spend more then $200 and you cant go wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500182

And for what its worth, Id buy that card linked in a heartbeat if i had the money.

Did you know you can turn a 6950 2gb into a 6970? Look it up.

Apparently I could also "unlock" 2 disabled cpu's and turn my processor into a six core. i don't think I'll get into all that though.

I look into the power situation further. I thought I might be okay since the guy who recommended it played WoW on max and was really proud of how well everything ran. Then again I told him I wasn't trying to spend more than 200 total for everything. If I wait a little longer i could upgrade to something better. That's probably what I'll do. I'm not going to mod the game the first day it comes out and we're getting it for the PC & ps3. So i'll be able to play it regardless......also I just started trying to learn blender and that's going to take a while to get a handle on.

I downloaded Blender last night and tried to make a sword but couldn't figure out how to make a blade that wasn't square :0

edit: Okay I made a sword finally....Be gentle with criticism it's my first model !!!!!

My First Attempt

Edited by demoncleaner

Not bad for a first attempt. Doin' a heck of a lot better than me..... :D

What size power supply do you currently have?

I had to start the model over again cause I wasn't using the correct version with nifscripts.....I totally forgot about all that jazz. This version has a different interface setup than the one I used, now to relearn what I just learned.....

Anywhoo..... I'm not sure about the PS, I just know it's less than 500 watt. I'm pretty sure it's 450 but I don't know the brand.

I had to start the model over again cause I wasn't using the correct version with nifscripts.....I totally forgot about all that jazz. This version has a different interface setup than the one I used, now to relearn what I just learned.....

Anywhoo..... I'm not sure about the PS, I just know it's less than 500 watt. I'm pretty sure it's 450 but I don't know the brand.

Pop the case open, and have a look. That isn't something you wanna skimp on..... :D