DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Need help with a quest script

I'm a user over at the Nexus Forums, asked for help there and someone directed me to here. Basically, I want to make a mod for a friend of mine to help her both get into the Dark Brotherhood without senslessly murdering someone AND add a bit of backstory to the vanilla game. Basically I wanna make a quest where, when you step out of the prison, it add s a quest called "Avenging Life" [Name to be changed accordingly; I just made it up on the spot like 5 minutes ago.] that points you to Ramaline in Bravil as your target. I just want it to be simple, start when you leave the sewers, end when she dies, but all the tutorials I've found explain how to make a quest that starts by TALKING to someone. I want a trigger, not an NPC. I'd like if someone who's good at scripting could teach me how to do this. Lemme know if you can help. Thanks. :)

You just create a TrigZone, scripted something like this:

scn aaYourQuestTrigScript

short doonce

Begin OnTrigger Player
If doonce == 0
setstage YourQuestName StartingStage#
set doonce to 1
Endif
End
[/code]

Then just add the info you want to the journal entry for that starting stage. Place the script on a unique trig zone just outside the sewer and when it's triggered it will launch the quest. :good:

Bit of the cart before the horse, trying to learn while making a specific mod can be challenging, but not impossible. Trigger Zones are a type of activator. So you'll find them in the Object Window under Activators. Look for TrigZoneACTOR01 double click on it in the Object Window and it's base edit box will open. You NEVER want to change a vanilla object without first renaming it and creating a new form. So in the base edit box, change it's ID to something unique to your mod like aaCatMQuestStartTrig then click OK. Another box will open asking if you want to create a new form, always say YES.

Then you can create a new script, and edit the Trig you just made to add the script to it.

Cells are found in the Cell View Window, The cell you want for the Chargen sewer is under Worldspace Tamriel, it's Editor ID is ICPrisonSewerExit01. Once that cell is loaded in the Render Window, you'll drag the Trig zone from the Object Window and drop it into the render window, then position it in front of the door.

This tutorial page will outline the basic anatomy of the CS:

You need to create a new quest, let's say aaCatMDarkQuest. There's a tab for stages in the quest maker, add stages for your quest there and you add journal entries there as well. So once you've made the quest and added a stage 1 your trig script line would be:

Setstage aaCatMDarkQuest 1