DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[RELz] Reclaiming Sancre Tor RC1.0.5

DarkRider

Yes. The only thing I have not now tried is starting a new game with only Sancre Tor enabled, and I have no intention of doing so.

I'm happy to assume my install simply can't handle it and go do something else.

On the upside, I've probably fixed a ton of issues I didn't know existed in trying to get this working

Which sounds.bsa? The one for the game? Or for RST?

The RST sounds BSA contains sound FX files and some placeholder dialogue. So while it doesn't matter because Steffan is silent you WILL miss out on other audio cues throughout the mod if you play without it. There have been zero reports of corruption in the sounds BSA so it seems more like something was installed incorrectly to begin with. :idea:

the sounds file for Sancre Tor. This is the second set I've downloaded, from here, the first being from the Nexus.

I reactivated it once I was in the training area [mostly because the dialog text changed too quickly to read], but have just hit the same issue when trying to leave and begin the Water quest.

There are no quest markers. Is this deliberate or another fault with my install? Because it makes finding my way around the Student building a proper pain, especially as I have to follow that young man who walks more slowly than I do.

I'm going to try the older ST Sound file so see if it works any better.<< evidently I am not doing this, since there isn't an older sound file

Still, I'm relieved that this is working at all now.

Edited by undeadbydawn

Did you add the sounds BSA to your ini too?

The sounds BSA has never needed updating so older vs newer versions won't likely make a difference.

There are no quest markers at first because you're just supposed to talk to random folks about the water warrior until you get the info on a location. You won't find a lot of quest markers in RST though, players have to rely on journal entries and their own investigative skills at times :D

Yes. All the files are in the .ini. Of course, whether or not my install is *reading* the ini is another question.

fair point regarding quest markers. I certainly play Follow The Arrow *way* too much.

I've spent the time since my last post repeating the entire first stage up to the door I think leads me outside, and have save /quit to come back out and disable the sound file again.

I really hope I find another mistake somewhere, as this will be a serious pest if I have to do it every time I enter/leave a building...

• 2 weeks later...

having completed the main RST quest a while ago, felt I should share some feedback.

In general the whole mod is well done & satisfying, providing plenty of scope for extended play and a great variety of challenges. Very well done indeed.

However:

Pacing at the start is dismal. The constant backtracking through a maze-like main building to have one-line conversations between quests gets tired extremely quickly. If not for the walkthrough and tcl command I would have quit during the Wind trial. It wasn't worth the effort. Not even close.

Quest markers. Please add some. No, really. Just stick them in there. The middle-manning, again, got tiresome very quickly. This was most notable during the Fire test, where you cannot even trigger the quest NPC until you find someone to tell you to speak to him. Otherwise he will not respond. Pointless middle-manning at its worst.

I don't understand why the Agent set wasn't given at the start of the Agent quests. It's a lame reward for completing them, and would make *vastly* more sense if given to match the Agent you're working with.

The Agent questline, however, was really well done and I felt I burned through them far too quickly. The counter-espionage theme totally worked for me, and was done with enough danger and subtlety to feel genuine and worthwhile. The twist came as a total surprise, for which I congratulate the developers.

The Oracle Quests were likewise a hugely pleasant surprise. The Ice Bears dungeon is among the best designed I have ever seen, cunning, devious and incredibly pretty.

The end was exceedingly well done. I enjoy the player home, but found the armour and rank underwhelming. Blades weapons still feel underpowered, considering katana are among the best blades ever built. This is in no sense your fault, but slightly stronger gear as an endgame reward would have been nice.

Since I have received notification of the follow-on treasure hunt:

Side Quests. By the Gods, why would you *not* give Quest Markers for missions most players are likely to leave until the main quest is complete? This is just daft. Is it that adding QMs is too complicated, or do you just not want people to do them? Because making them this obscure is a fine method of discouragement.

With quest markers, quest designers have to find a balance between too few (not enough info) and too many (hand holding). With RST, I tried diligently to find that balance. My goal was to discourage hand holding and to encourage players to follow clues and use their knowledge/cunning to work things out for themselves. In beta testing, quest markers were added anywhere the players got lost or confused; by release players agreed they had enough information to work it out for themselves. You clearly worked it out for yourself too, despite fewer quest markers. ;)

Side quests are random encounters and even if you came back to them at the end, they still have journal entries to guide you if you can't recall what needed to be done :shrug:

Yes I could have chewed the quest up for you and pointed out every hidden object or person, but I don't enjoy playing games like that so I don't make games like that either :no:

The size of the Sancre Tor complex is huge but that was Bethsoft's design, I just tidied things up. Sorry you found navigating the complex daunting, I agree it can be, I had to run it hundreds of times. :lmao: I did add teleports for use later, but felt navigating the complex on foot at first was more immersive and allowed players to explore and interact with things. It just wasn't possible to accommodate every play style though.

Thanks for the feedback. :D

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately no. It's been a real challenge to get voice actors committed and submitting work without pushing and managing them full time. I haven't had the free time it takes to do the job.

The demands on my time with my other projects created gaps that actors just wiggled right through because I kept losing people and ended up with parts only partially finished and needing to be recast. :shrug:

I've been looking for someone with the time/desire to manage the voice direction in my place, but so far Ive come up empty.

It's still something Id love to see done if I find the right person, but Im moving on from active modding into Indie Development, I won't have the time to devote to voicing RST myself. :(

• 1 year later...

OMG, Ppparis, I'm having the same problem with the Dragon Blade! I can't draw it from the scabbard! How do I access that nif file? Mesh and texture folders are no problem, but I've never tried to alter a BSA file! I would love to use my new weapon as more than a ceremonial wall display! How did you do it?

• 11 months later...

I installed this using Wrye Bash and completed the Basic Training which I found nicely challenging.  However after that events that should have happened stopped.  When I said goodbye to Rowan he just wished me well on my way.  After getting to the Foaming Flask I waited 3 in game days without the "Master" speaking to me.  I de-activated, made a clean save and then repeated the first part of this 3 times to no avail.

I removed the entire thing, re-downloaded and discovered that I had forgotten how to install mods with Wrye Bash :anyone:  Feeling incredibly stupid I installed it manually (the 3 BSA files and the esp) and made the ini changes as instructed and now I have missing meshes in Cloud Ruler Temple - I have not gone any further yet as I don't want to end up bald from tearing my hair out.