DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Skyrim & Steam

Vince

Well unless I've totally missed something here I'm wondering how the heck you're supposed to be able to mod Skyrim when there aren't any data files locally on the computer?

I installed with the retail disk, had an icon and saw files listed (I think) under steam folder. When it activated and downloaded the patch there went my icon and the only files for skyrim on the comptuer now are the saved games?

If this is what is supposed to happen I'm going to be pretty upset about not being able to mod my game.

Just found the files.. :doh:

Btw, from what I've read in the Steam thread on the official forums, specifically this post and the responses to it, it looks like running the game's .exe doesn't require Steam to be running in the background. I haven't bought the game yet so I can't confirm it myself, but if it's true it means that you can play the game independent of Steam.

That is welcome news. Does this mean we can uninstal Steam entirely once the game is installed?

That I don't know, because I haven't tried it. It depends on whether or not Steam removes game files when it's uninstalled.

The other problem with that is that Steam will be the only way to receive future patches. It remains to be seen whether or not any DLCs come out on disc.

The other problem with that is that Steam will be the only way to receive future patches.

Yeah, I think that policy is way beyond stupid. However, I had planned on waiting for the GotY edition to get Skyrim, if I were to get it at all. That way, I'd get the latest patch at installation, plus access to plenty of mods.

Wow thanks folks. That TesV.exe tip is great.I don`t suppose I could coppy that whole Skyrim folder over to my D drive, where it ought to be, and play from there, keeping the steam folder intact in programX86 where it installed..? Just to get the patches, DLC, and such. Then copy them over as well...?

That would probably work so long as all you planned to do was play the game. Modding tools would still be looking for it in the old location unless you adjust the registry, which would probably then piss off Steam when patch time comes.

Ive never had issue with moving editos and game files around. The editor looks in its root folder for ../Data/xxx folder for the data.

Ok, last night I copied the entire skyrim folder to my D drive and it works fine. If I launch with TesV.exe...it starts without any steam popups. If I launch with SkyrimLauncher.exe, Steam is involved...I ger the pop up in my lower right corner telling me how to connect with the steam online community. All this is with "play offline" set in my account. This tells me that even though I moved a copy, it still communicates with steam...???

Ok..in my book...Steam oficially sucks...can`t even start my game....

Yeah, I've had a few instances of the infamous "preparing to launch..." box that never goes away. Usually it works, but when it doesn't, once is too often; especially as it serves as a reminder that someone takes the view of paying customers, "you're probably a thief, so we're going to assume that's the case until proven otherwise", which isn't exactly something that makes me think favourably of them.

Edit: just noticed the comments about launching TESV directly, which will save some aggravation.

Edited by vometia

Blimey: that was a close call. Fortunately I read about the unwanted new patch while I still had Skyrim running so I was able to back up the original executable; in what must surely be one of the worst patches in history, all they've done is to prevent people doing the two main things possible to enhance stability, namely running it without Steam (which one way or another was responsible for frequent CTDs with me) and to prevent the LAA flag working, apparently.

Not exactly good PR.

This sort of underhanded crap is precisely why I don't like Steam. Fortunately my distrust of Valve and Bethesda runs deep enough that I don't touch anything to do with Steam. This bypass thing was like a dream come true, and I'll continue to enjoy the game without it. Their patch that's coming next week likely won't fix anything anyway. Their track record indicates the opposite - they'll break way more than they fix.

There's no good reason they couldn't have just left it alone. All they're doing is creating rage on the forums and driving lots of people to piracy instead.

There's no good reason they couldn't have just left it alone. All they're doing is creating rage on the forums and driving lots of people to piracy instead.

The forums are a mess at the moment: so many angry people there and the situation's being inflamed by some over-zealous policing. I'm really not sure what they were thinking.

Well I've managed to dig up about the only viable explanation - that because there was a bypass, Valve threw a fit over some ridiculousness in their contract terms. IMO, that's a sign Valve is already too powerful when they're able to bully a response like this and issue the update on their own. All signs seem to point to Bethesda itself not knowing this was coming. Nick Breckon and Pete Hines are both talking about how the 1.2 patch hasn't been issued yet. There's only one small sticky post about it on their forum and it doesn't mention who the source was. The poor community managers are always the last to know when stuff like this happens.

Zenimax might have known, but if you think Bethesda is secretive, Zenimax is like trying to uncover the Illuminati. Of course, for those not in the know, they're all the same company anyway. The web is rather thick. Too many corporate shell games going on.