DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Skyrim, Volume One (Legend)

DarkRider

Tavern Tales: Skyrim

Volume One

6359431911_994e705f3e_b-1.jpg

Star.pngStar.pngStar.pngStar.pngStar.png

In the Mill Tavern...

“What a steaming pile of bulls-“

“It’s true, I’ve seen ‘im,” Ferrin scowled from behind the bar.

“Yeah, go on, the Dark Rider’s just a story; half-man half dragon...tell us another one half-elf,” the burly lumber bull of a Nord snorted loudly into his beer, “and you Bartap, just keep the ale coming till my gold runs dry or I pass out.”

“Aye sir, as ye like,” Balow answered cheerily, shooing Ferrin away when the boy began to protest, “let the customers have their drinks and be on their way boy,” his words were punctuated by a cool breeze from outside as the door was opened and closed, “ye have stalls to muck anyway.”

“Ghost and Flint will need clean bedding too,” Duncan Greyhame added striding up to them as he brushed loose snowflakes from his bracers, “snow’s already kicking up, going to be a cold one,” he slid a few coins onto the hard oak bar, “Two ales, Balow, hot.”

Balow quickly filled two sterling mugs to the brim and passed them down to his Imperial friend, “Ye and Carter have any luck finding those thugs from Dragon’s Bridge?”

“Make quick work of them?” Ferrin asked excitedly, whipping a ladle through the air feigning swordplay. The barkeep roughly shuffled the boy toward the door and he wisely headed out to tend the horses before the heavy snow started.

Duncan took a careful drink before shaking his head in reply, “We followed their tracks for awhile, but wherever they were heading it was higher country than we were geared for. We’ll resupply and pick up the trail again after this storm passes.”

“That’s only if there’s anything left to track by morning,” Carter Cadlew said as he arrived and took his own ale in hand, hoping the warm mug would bring some of the blood back into his fingers, “you can see the snow coming down the mountain, clouds are heavy, I wager you could lose a mammoth in it.”

“You could,” Duncan replied with a grin to Carter’s stone faced glare.

“Don’t make me kill you in front of people,” the Redguard said coolly before taking a drink.

Balow’s brow furrowed, “They stole an awful lot of money, I hope ye find em. Ought to take Grond with you, they say he sniffs ground better then a wolfhound.”

“Grond?” Carter raised an eyebrow toward the snoring arm chair by the fireplace, “Old sauced before dawn?” he and Duncan exchanged a glance and an inside snicker at the Nord’s expense.

Balow shrugged, “He’s a Nord after all, drinking and tracking are in his blood, don’t see why one would impede the other.”

“I don’t think Carter meant the drink would impede his tracking,” Duncan admitted, but then offered, “just his ability to stand upright.”

Their laugh was interrupted by a surly voice from the fireplace, “If you two hens are done nattering ye can come tell me what ye found…and bring me more ale.”

Duncan sighed in surrender, taking the ale Balow had readily passed along before he and Carter retreated to the fireplace, “Don’t know why you play on like you’re asleep,” he handed Grond the mug before dropping into the chair beside him.

“Right, contrary to what you might think, the women don’t actually find that sleeping drunk act attractive,” Carter said in agreement, “well, most women anyway, there are a few of questionable taste around here.”

Grond grinned, “There's a lot to be said for questionable taste. So now what’s this about tracking and drinking?”

Blinding snow whipped around, forcing the man in black to shiver, pulling his hood lower and mask higher; how the Draugr of Skyrim have managed to survive thousands of years in this unforgiving weather, he could only ponder as he laid eyes on a welcoming sight. The man's dark, curved sword slapped against his thigh as he picked up his pace, glad to have found a tavern so quickly.

The tavern door opened slowly, exposing a black-clad figure against a shocking white background of snow, then quickly shut. "Barkeep, a room, and something to warm these old bones." Raurke said flatly, pulling his coin purse from his hip and tossing it on the bar. "And perhaps you might share any bounties with me; been away from civilization for a while, and merchants don't trade supplies for good will." he continued, pulling hood and mask away to reveal a worn and scarred face.

Balow smiled, and looked at the purse. "That's a bit much for one night and a flagon of Honningbrew mead. Only bounty I know of is for some thieves out of Dragonbridge, though a couple of the fellows 'round here are allready on it. Might ask Carter, Duncan, or Grond about that." he placed a heavy flagon down on the bar as he finished, the sweet scent finding it's way around the room.

"Grond? Now there's a name that brings back memories. Keep the gold, might find myself staying here quite a while." Raurke smiled, fond memories of times long past filling his head. "Which one's Carter?" he asked, a tone of business coming into his voice.

• Upvote 1

"Bless this house." Fireplace and candles guttered as warmth and air were sucked out of the open door. An bent old nag of a man, dressed in many furs and leaning on a stick, slammed the door behind him. "But damn the day I set foot in this frozen sodding country! Robbed!"

He stopped to survey the patrons, and catch his wheezing breath. He seemed unimpressed by the complete lack of reaction to his entry. A sour expression finding his face, he hobbled toward the bar.

"Good barkeep," he said in a quavering voice, "Bandits have taken all my gold and valuables, and I had eaten the last of my scant rations the day before." He emphasised his point with a wheezing cough. "kindly barkeep, though I have no coin-"

Barlow's expression was unsympathetic. He was motionless save for his hands, which were slowly wiping a tankard clean, and he seemed quite absorbed in this work.

"Though I have no coin, would you accept, perhaps, this golden ring, for a week's meals and accommodation?" A glittering band of gold was suddenly between his two forefingers.

Tankard and cloth disappearing just as magically as the ring appeared, Barlow accepted it and gave it close examination. "I suppose I could help a poor soul for, say, four days. But ale is dear. This won't pay for drink.

"Stendar bless your soul. If I may?" The ring returned to him, the old man gazed at it, turning it in his fingers. "It is quite dear to me... sentimental, you understand. If you would hold on to it, I'd like to buy it back when I have the means." He placed the ring on the bar, and shuffled towards the fireplace.

“You weren't robbed near Dragon's Bridge, by any chance? We're hunting some bandits who operate out that way.â€

The old man paused, and eyed the Imperial cautiously. “Aye, there was a bridge nearby, though I hardly know the name of it.†He stepped past Duncan, and made to warm his hands.

“Tell me, why didn't the bandits take that gold ring of yours?†The question came directed from a Redguard sitting by the imperial, and it seemed to annoy the old man.

“Reluctant, they were, to frisk an old man once they'd taken my purse. Now if you're done I'd like to get warm. My bones are tired and there are no more seats by the fire.â€

The door opened again, this time a stable boy, who was struggling to drag a crate up the steps through the doorway.

“Careful with it, boy!†The old man barked, then to Duncan: “Don't just sit there, he'll do himself an injury! That's it, easy now, bring it here by the fire.â€

Taking the opportunity of Duncan's unoccupied seat, he sank into it, creaking and sighing. Opening the crate, and removing various scarves and rags, the old man produced an enormous apparatus: an Elsweyr shisha-pipe.

“And I suppose you stashed that in your socks, along with your ring?â€

He pretended not to hear Carter, struggling to light the pipe with a flint.

“I'd prefer it if you didn't-†Duncan was rewarded with a smoke ring blown in his face.

“So.†The old man savoured another drag of tobacco. “Bandits. And you two must be sell-swords. That's good. And you, Redguard, you're a sly one. What's your name?â€

“Carter.â€

“Duncan.â€

Handshakes were exchanged. “My name is Manan. As you've pointed out, I'm not completely without means. The bandits took my mule, and with it a shipment of Dwarf-metal weapons. Hammerfell forged. I was going to set up shop as a caravan. But if you two have decent steel, and the balls to back it...†Another drag, and another smoke ring drifted up to float about the ceiling. “Then I think we can do business.â€

• Upvote 1

William rode along a lonely road, heading north in his search for adventure and riches. His talents always kept him from starving, but it was never enough to retire. As he rode, the clear day quickly turned overcast, and soon threatened to snow heavily. Big fluffy flakes of cold white snow were soon falling about him as he and Night, his black mare, continued up the road.

“We should find a place to stay before this storm hits.” He said to his horse. Night shook her head and let out a whinny of assent.

Will took out one of the larger furs and covered himself and Night and they rode along through the storm. As they rode along, he noticed a flickering light off the side of the road and they both headed for it, hoping for a warm place to get out of the storm.

As they neared the buildings, windmill blades were slowly turning in the brisk breeze that came with the storm. A young elven lad soon came into view, waving at them to come into the stables, which Night eagerly trotted over to.

“You staying a while, kind sir?” the young lad asked.

Will looked the boy over a moment, “At least until the storm passes. Be this an inn?”

“Yes sir! And Balow can supply you with warm ale and a room if you wish.”

Will nodded his head and handed Nights lead and a few coin to the boy. “Make sure you give him oats with his grain.”

The coins were whisked out of William’s hands and the horse quickly brought in out of the snow. Will watched after them for a moment before turning and heading for the front door of the establishment.

The front door of the tavern opened and a furry white mound entered with a blast of cold snow. The door was quickly closed and the fur came off, revealing a man in red dragonscale armor, a rare armor in this time, but spoke of someone who had taken down one of the foul beasts.

Will pulled out a few coins and set them on the bar, “Warm ale and a meal, good barkeep!”

The coins were quickly replaced by a hearty meal which he quickly set to eating.

Duncan looked over at the new arrival, wondering what his tale was. He was surly an able fighter, the odd bow on his back speaking of his expertise. An archer would really help them out with their current mission.

After Will finished his meal, he could not help but look over to the group talking by the fire. He grinned; perhaps once again Nocturnal had guided him with her luck in finding a warm place, but also an adventure.

He walked over to the fire and saw the one who called himself Duncan watching him, “You need an extra hand in taking out these bandits?”

Duncan grinned, Carter remained unreadable, Grond looked pleased and Malan wondered how much this would cost him.

Duncan asked, “You’re an archer?”

Will nodded, “Some say the best.”

Duncan looked over at Carter who nodded. “Join us then.”

And so, William’s search for adventure had been granted him. Nocturnal mused to herself, “You should be wary of what you wish for.” She then laughed and looked elsewhere for the time being…

Grond huffed a loud barking laugh: "Nice. You're not bad, old man - you I like." He held out his wide hand and waved it. With a shrug Maran let the Nord draw from the pipe. Grond blew a ring but then snorted the rest of the smoke out, laughing. "Balls. Nice. What these two lack there, I more than make up fer."

The door to the Tavern blew open and a figure clad in DragonScale armor entered. As Duncan and Maran made a plan, Grond and Carter watched the armored man approach. Introductions were made. Grond clapped slowly as he eyed William's fine armor. "Sweet stuff you have on. I could work it into something better, if you can afford it."

"...and if he can see straight," Carter added.

With a bright toothy smile Grond said, "See straight enough to flatten you, I'll warrant."

William chuckled. "Thanks but no thanks. I would rather keep this armor than have to take it to a true smith to repair your damage."

Grond leapt out of his chair, but to the relief of those nearby he laughed loudly. "Take my chair man! You're all right. I'm going to bed. Wake me when you've figured out what we're doing."

“Hush, Rain....†the woman said as she leaned over her horse and stroked its face, “We'll find someplace warm and safe, okay?†She sighed a little and tilted her hood up a little to watch the clouds pile into each other, darkening the landscape with the threat of heavier snow. After the few days, she was eager for something other than the frozen ground to sleep on.

Just as the visibility within the storm started dropping, she spied the warm light of a house in the distance and smiled, “See? We're nearly there. Now come on, Rain. I may be a Nord, but I don't like sleeping in the snow all the time, 'kay?†Nudging her foot gently against the stallion's flanks, she managed to coax him into a trot towards the tavern and cautiously looked around their surroundings. Other than a few travelers heading towards the building, the landscape was barren of any creatures. Many had taken refuge within the snow and it wasn't long until the two were taking refuge under the roof of a stable.

“Ho' there,†she called out to a small boy who was raking the muck from the ground as they rode up, “is this a tavern?â€

“Yes ma'am,†the stable boy said with a grin and nodded his head, “you stayin' for the night?â€

“You bet. This poor guy can't take any more sleeping in rocky caves,†she said with a chuckle and hopped down from her horse before asking, “Uh....there is room, right? Or can I just sleep in the stables? I can pay.â€

“Oh no no, there's room available,†the stable boy nodded quickly and nodded towards the tavern, “Ask Barlow for a room; he'll accommodate you. And don't worry, I'll take good care of your horse.â€

She couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at this, “You better. The last time a stable guy tried to mess with my horse, the guy's head ended up on the wrong end of his body. Don't ask me if he still looks like that, I didn't stick around to admire my handiwork.â€

She watched the boy's eyes grow wide with fright before she busted out laughing, “Haha, I'm just kidding. The guy only ended up with a broken jaw and that was on accident. But I'm not kidding about Rain,†she said grimly, “Take good care of him, okay?â€

“Y-Yes ma'am,†the stable boy stuttered out and rushed over to Rain's side to tend to his needs. With a chuckle, the woman placed a couple of coins on a crate nearby for him and quickly dashed across the yard towards the building. The cold wind bit into her skin and she winced as she tugged her hood over her face and walked as fast as she could towards the door.

As she opened the door into the tavern, the warm air brushed against her face and providing a rather soothing effect compared to the bitter cold. Shaking the snow off of her, she tilted her head up and looked around the building with green eyes, a unique color of greenish-emerald. She spotted several men huddled in a group around the fire with the talk of hunting bandits and spied the bartender behind the counter, “Any room left?†she asked, sitting down on one of the chairs at the bar.

“There is,†Balow nodded, “only for a few coin.â€

“Sounds good,†the woman nodded and passed a few coins in his direction, “Now how about the strongest drink you have over here?†she said with a small smile.

“Plan on besting Grond in a drinking match?†the barkeep asked with a laugh, “I will give you a fair warning, he can drink a lot more than it looks like he can handle.â€

“Oh trust me, I'm not here to drink anyone under the table,†the woman laughed and pushed back her hood. Her face was covered with faint bruises and lacerations still oozing small bits of blood, but she still managed to smile widely, “I just need something to disinfect these wounds. I swear, the robbers are getting more pathetic by the year...â€

“Er...are you sure you don't wish to have those wounds checked out?†Balow asked and gestured to the group, “I'm sure one of the gentlemen over there would be more than happy to help you.â€

“It's just a cut,†she said and waved her hand dismissively, “It's not like I got shot in the heart or anything. I'll be fine. I just need something with some alcohol in it, 'kay?â€

The barkeep nodded and walked over to the back to fetch the drink and she leaned against the counter, listening in to the conversation the four men were having near the fireplace. From what she could pick up, it seems they were looking for some help in dealing with bandits.

“Ah screw it...I got nothing better to do...†she muttered and, taking the drink handed to her by the barkeep, she walked over to the group of men and asked, “I heard you're looking for help. I don't suppose there's room for one more? And what got your undergarments in a knot?†she suddenly asked when she received a rather glaring look from the old man that was smoking a pipe in the corner. She rolled her eyes and chuckled, “Look, I may look frail, but I can handle myself in a fight. Give me a weapon and you can start makin' prayers for the guy on the other side of the blade. Or don't, doesn't matter. Ends up just the same really. My name's Nina, if it makes you feel any better,†she said with a sympathetic smile.

Felix turned another page, thoroughly engrossed in a book on hagravens. It claimed to be informational, but it seemed to him to be little more than a gloryfied battle tale- it certainly held no valuable facts. A single snowflake landed in the centre of the page, drawing his attention into the room. He had left the window open, he realised, and through it he could see heavy clouds curdling in the Haafingar sky. Snapping the book shut and setting it aside, he rose to pull the window shut. He was about ready to abandon the book, and he now noticed the chill that had gathered in his room, so he grabbed his flute from the dresser and made his way downstairs. He had heard the door open and close at least four times while he had been reading, and he supposed there was a fair chance that the new arrivals might be worth conversing with. Or playing for he added, thinking of his light purse.

Sure enough, the hearth was a hub of activity, and Felix could pick out the new faces from some he had seen the night before. This place never ceased to amaze the young mage. He twirled his flute in his fingers and approached the group by the fire.

"I don't suppose any of you would care for a tune?" he offered, sliding the question into a convenient pause of conversation.

"Well actually..." began a leathery old man, turning with a decidedly cantankerous air.

"Is it free?" asked the group's only woman.

"It costs what you pay," Felix said with a smile, taking this as close enough to a yes. He took a seat a few feet away from the fireplace group and began to play, teasing out a calm, but energetic tune that reminded him of the crackling flames.

• Upvote 1

In the Mill Tavern Stables...

"More oats, Miss?" Ferrin asked as he tipped the sack of grain into Night's bucket. She whinnied happily and shoveled her broad snout inside to devour them. The boy smiled and patted her broad neck before noticing the bits of mud and hay clinging to her fur, "I'd say you could use a slicker too," he told her, retrieving the brush only to be tugged at from behind when he reached for her stall door.

Ferrin laughed and turned to shove Mik's blue face away, "Wait your turn you, lady's first, besides she's a guest."

A fierce wind howled outside and gave him pause even though the barn was well insulated and warm, he shivered. There was a sudden change of atmosphere in the barn, the horses who had all been enjoying their feed moments before were suddenly alert and agitated. 

"W-what's wrong, little lady?" he asked reaching for Night's muzzle. She tossed her head and reared away from his touch, "just the wind..." he said aloud to steady himself. Ghost was huffing in agitation, stomping a heavy hoof against his stall door which rattled on its hinge and a crack like thunder made Ferrin jump when Rain kicked the back wall of his stall. 

"Easy now children," he said gently, trying to keep his voice calm to settle the horses before they hurt themselves. Another howl outside carried in a strange sound from just beyond the stable walls, "Bad storm is all, it's okay," Ferrin said, feeling a bit braver he took up a lantern and headed outside. 

Snow swirled around him in the lamplight as he crossed the yard to take up an axe from the wood pile. Just as he set his hand on the wood handle and turned back toward the stable the sight of a shadowy figure froze him where he stood. 

Felix was halfway through a rousing rendition of "The Red Temple" when the sounds of distant whinnies and screams caught the attention of the Mill Tavern patrons. At first they were so faint, the room fell quiet as everyone listened, uncertain what they'd heard. The whinnies came again punctuated by the front door bursting open. Snow blew in around him, breathless, with blood trickling from a gash in his forehead, Ferrin managed one word, "Trolls!!!"

• Upvote 1

"Rain,"said Nina through gritted teeth. The rest of the company sprang to their feet, and began to rush toward the front doors. Nina leapt past them and up the stairs, for if there were Trolls as Ferrin had cried, her best place would be high above them.

Meanwhile, chaos reigned for a few moments. All in the common room moved as a wave. All but Carter. The others did not notice the Redguard, who still sat where he'd been, with a finger poised in the air, and a look of waiting on his face. William sprang toward the door, ahead of the crowd, hand on his hilts, as the fierce frozen wind blew the door shut before him. Raurke was next, but as he took hold of the door's latch, Carter was beside him. "Hold a moment," said the Redguard, loudly but calm. "Shouldn't be much longer now," added Duncan, as the sounds of the horses grew more frantic. Mixed within were guttural cries as something received a harsh hoof in a soft place.

Then suddenly another sound blasted like thunder over the horses screams. It was a throaty, angry battle-cry, and it came from the upper floors of the Tavern.

"There he is," shouted Carter. "Let's go help Grond." They drew their weapons as if one warrior as Raurke swung the door open. The companions sped out into the stable yard.

Nina raced up the stair, and threw a shoulder into the first door. It flew open. The slight Nord, bow in hand, entered the room, to find Grond sticking big feet into steel armored boots. "What's up little one? Mik's screaming!"

"Trolls in the yard!" Nina exclaimed. She leapt over the bed and past the Nord, and threw open the window. In a flash she had an arrow nocked, and only slightly flinched when Grond shouted, "Is that all?!"

Then came the battle-cry, and Nina nearly lost the arrow. Grond brushed past her as she quickly recovered. As she watched her kinsman leap into the snow, Nina muttered, "Fool."

• Upvote 1

Stuffing his flute roughly into his satchel, Felix joined the general rush to the doors, flames springing to life in his hands. As the nord's battle cry reverberated through the Tavern, Raurke flung open the door, inviting a gust of wind that set hair and clothing billowing. The swirling snow obscured Felix's vision, but Raurke and William, the first to the door, bounded forward into the snow.

The bestial roar of a troll pierced the storm as two substantial forms burst into view. One was a matted lump of fur, the other was the embodiment of a Nord warrior, driving his hammer home into the troll's skull. The beast staggered as it's viscous blood splattered the snow, and Grond yelled something like "that's right yeh beast!". He raised his hammer for a killing blow, but was hurled to the floor by a second troll. Felix couldn't make out which half of the resultant brawl was Nord, and which troll, but an arrow flew from the keen-eyed William's bow flew into the melee, striking the troll squarely between the shoulderblades and setting a smouldering fire in its fur.

Meanwhile the first troll had recovered, it's ruined face slowly regenerating, but Nina was peppering it with arrows from the roof.

"Only one way to kill a troll" William called over the gathering storm, following the statement up with a fireball. Felix nodded grimly, launching his own at the first troll. Acting in unison, Duncan and Carter had launched themselves onto the smouldering troll, and Felix heard "that was mine!" as they forced it away from a battered, but unharmed Grond.

A yell from the roof caught Felix's attention. Nina was gesticulating wildly towards the stables. Raurke, far quicker on the uptake, took the advice immediately, springing forward as a third troll emerged from behind the building. William followed him with eyes, flinging a fireball at the troll.

"Have you got that one?" he called back to Felix,

The Breton replied in the affirmative as the first of the hapless trolls howled it's fury at the magical flames.

This can be said of trolls: they are not beasts. Many times had a wolf or bear waylaid Duncan as he journeyed through Skyrim, and the encounters were similar to fighting men or mer: a fight is a dance, and their intentions are clear in their eyes. You can see their wariness, their assessment of you, their understanding. And when they know they are about to die, well, you see that too. A beast knows despair, in the end, and it hurts just a little to see.

Troll's eyes are black and whiteless. Their gaze has no knowable direction, and their movements are not those of a hunting beast. They move only to smother, to crush, not to hurt, but simply kill. There is no communication with their opponent, save for blind hatred.

Not beasts. Monsters.

In the battle heat, time stretches, and thoughts run quickly. Later Duncan will remember only a few flashes of thought, and a few images. This one will stay with him: The smell of burning hair. Steam rising from the troll's black gums, it's long, wide mouth hanging open.

Look at the size of that jaw - surprising they use only their fists to kill, and not their teeth.

Almost like a human.

He is running towards it, both swords drawn. The weight of the steel feels reliable in his hands, but he feels doubtful as he looks at the knotted muscles on its arm. How far could his sword cut into it? Enough to make it pause, to save his skull from those heavy fists?

His right foot treads into the snow, taking his weight, pushing him forward.

Must go faster. Aggression is key: kill them quickly, you cannot outlast them.

What else?

Fire. They fear it, and hate humans for it. Man's red flower. Who was it who called it that?

Fiercely territorial. They stay in their own portions of the untamed wilderness. They attack livestock, but avoid settlements.

Then why are they here?

He is closer. One more step and he will engage it. Is it looking at him? Difficult to tell, with those eyes. He can see its stocky legs tensing, it's weight shifting. It is going to throw it's weight against him.

It will have the advantage in a collision.

I'll glance off then. To the left. Let it commit to it's momentum.

And outlast it?

No, too late. It won't have time to spring. Now, then-

Carter was beginning to circle the troll, when Duncan flew past him, swords drawn. In two bounds he shot towards it, and before the troll could pounce, his right sword pierced it below the chin, and pushed through into it's skull. He let go of the sword, stumbling as his feet hit the ground, and rolling as his momentum carried him.

Duncan got back to his feet. Carter shot him a grin, but he seemed too dazed to return one. Better make sure that thing was killed. Looked like a fatal blow; but with trolls, you use fire, you hit them hard, you stay out of their way, and you always, always make sure they're really dead.

“Will someone shut the bloody door? The cold's getting in!†Manan was almost alone in the large main room. The only remaining occupants were Balow, who was by the window, a club held uncertainly in his right hand, ignoring Manan as usual, and Ferrin, who was trying to lie still as Manan stitched the gash in his scalp.

“If the trolls-â€

“Shut up – you're concussed. Be a good lad and pass out. It's hard enough to fix your ugly face without your jaw wagging everywhere.â€

Ferrin seemed insistent however, so Manan stuffed some green pulp in his mouth. He spluttered, more at the leathery fingers in his mouth than the bitter taste.

“Don't you dare spit that out. That's marshmerrow, and damned hard to get out here. Come on, chew it! And keep your head still!"

“Don't worry about the trolls. Those lads have fire magic. Although that may make them overconfident; after all it enrages them as much as hurts them. And it whiffs of quite a few of them. Three, at least. Probably four. That's a lot for only seven men to take on.â€

Ferrin did not look assured. Manan dabbed the wound with a rag soaked in some of Nina's 'drink'. He took a generous swig for himself.

“In any case, either the lads'll win and come back in all bold and full of themselves, or the trolls'll win, eat the horses, and bugger off. Won't bother us in here, not with this hot fire and enclosed space.

“Odd though, attacking a settlement... perhaps they're starving. Or perhaps there's mischief afoot.†He looked at Ferring with a serious expression. “Take an old man's advice, lad: Always be suspicious of mischief afoot. After all, all the lads are quite distracted... perhaps the real threat is coming here through the back door!â€

He cackled, and Ferrin, lying very still, started to wonder if he would rather be outside with the trolls.

• Upvote 1

Raurke's senses soared; it had been nearly a century since his last fight, and blood had to be let. Surveying the situation as he drew his sword, he stalked low and quick, making his way to the nearest of the three trolls; a burly and ferocious matron by the looks of it tangling with the Redgaurd and the Imperial. Raurke sprang, jumping onto the beast's back and plunging his sword deep in it's back. The troll staggered forward, and went berserk as it twisted around in circles to throw him off.

It was all he could do to keep his grip; these beasts were far more dangerous than what he'd faced in Cyrodiil. The troll's primal bellows brought Raurke's blood to a boil, waking something deep inside as he planted his feet on the small of the creature's back and jumped, gaping wound appearing where his sword had been. Free of the new attacker, the troll focused on Raurke, charging like a bull in a wild attempt to pin the tiny creature down.

Carter and Duncan watched in surprise at the sight of the black-clad man grappling with a troll; something seemed off about him. They exchanged puzzled glances, then shook off their bewilderment, swords raised and ready for another round with the beasts. It was Grond and William who would take first kill, their troll a smoking pile of battered remains. The nord gave out a fierce battle cry, charging towards felix and the troll he'd been holding at bay with a ring of fire.

Raurke dug his heels into the frozen terra, ready to slip his sword through the charging troll's gullet, but the beast never came; arrows hailed down from the roof of the inn, one striking true and pinning the beast's foot to the ground. Raurke looked up and gave the nord woman a look that by all accounts said "I could have handled it." Then thrusted his own sword into the beast's neck.

• Upvote 1

Throughout the whole battle, Nina took charge of ranged artillery from the safety of the tavern roof. She kept her eyes upon all three trolls and every time she saw either one of the groups struggling with the monsters, she redirected her arrows towards the troll and helped distract them long enough for the others to take them down.

Nina smiled gently to herself. She always felt more comfortable behind a bow than from any other weapon. Though most of her race preferred to wield a claymore and hammer to smash their foes with, she opted more for the wood elf style of fighting: lightweight weaponry and the ability to move quickly out of harm's way while delivering her own blows. It wasn't a surprise to her when people gave her odd looks towards her along the streets.

But her biggest flaw in that plan was blades. While she could wield a dagger with the skill of an average bandit, that was it as far as her knowledge went. She never took the time to really master some of the one-handed blades and it has cost her many times in the past. While she did try to devote some bit of time to learning how to use a dagger at the very least, she always found herself reverting back to her fists. Or her bow.

With people, it was not much of a problem. Trolls, on the other hand, she couldn't take down with her bare hands. She always tried to avoid a direct confrontation with trolls for fear such a confrontation would be the end of her.

As Nina kept watch over the dead trolls to make sure they stayed dead, she glanced at the troll, surrounded by a ring of fire, rushing around frantically in its prison. She would have been more than happy to focus on the troll that was giving a couple of men some trouble when something caught her eye: it was the behavior of the troll within the mage's prison.

“What in Dagon's name are you doing...?†Nina muttered and frowned in confusion. Watching the creature, she saw it rush closer and closer to the fire, though hesitant about crossing the object it feared the most. Out of caution for the safety of the mage, she nocked an arrow into the string and drew it back, aiming for the troll but not firing just yet. She waited to see what the troll was going to do.

The troll pranced around in the circle in a frantic rage, trying to find a way out of its inescapable prison. Locking its eyes upon the mage, the monster made multiple attempts to charge at him; but on every single attempt, it drew back and roared in displeasure as the immense heat from the flames burned the troll, forcing it back into the center.

But as each of the other trolls fell, Nina saw with dread, the monster's behavior became more and more organized. The monster was starting to purposely run closer and closer to the flames; it looked as if it was prepared to risk burning alive if it meant it could avenge its fallen brethren.

Nina finally saw what she was waiting for: the troll drew as close as it dared to the flames and turn around to face the young mage, it's body bowed in a charging stance. “Oh, that's a stupid mistake, you stinkin' ape...†she muttered when she realized what was going to happen. Tightening her grip upon on the string, she prepared to fire at the troll and end its miserable life.

But a shadow caught the corner of her eye and she quickly turned her eyes to see a figure rush towards the ring of fire. Just as the beast made a dash towards the mage, the Nord rushed through the flames and crashed into the troll, his battle roar mingling with the troll's cries as they were locked in a fierce wrestling match.

“Oh, you son of a...†Nina muttered and growled loudly. She could not find a clear shot anymore. Within the chaos of the fighting, there was a very high chance that the arrow would find its mark within the wrong target. She was torn between risking the shot or letting the Nord and the mage handle the troll.

Nina, deciding upon the later, prepared to withdraw her shot when she heard something over the howling wind; a series of loud, patternless thunks upon the wooden sides of the tavern. Alarmed, she turned her head to search for the source of the noise when a large monstrous hand shot out and grabbed one of her legs, its hand tightening into a deathlike-grip.

Nina screamed as the troll violently dragged her off of the roof onto the frozen ground. Amidst the chaos, the arrow she had intended for the troll was loosed, aimed directly at the two still fighting in the circle. As she landed on the ground with a soft thud, her bow flew out of her hands and landed several feet away from her. But as she tried to search for it, her view was blocked by the hairy mass of a fourth troll hovering over her. Its free arm was raised above its head to crush her.

Swearing loudly, the Nord rolled her body as best as she could away from the large fist as it slammed into the ground. The hand missed her by mere inches and enraged the troll at the prospect of an uncooperative meal. Nina pulled a dagger out from underneath her bracer and held it in her hand as she saw the troll prepare to attack again. “Oh come on, don't let me die like this...†Nina muttered as she gritted her teeth and launched herself at the troll, aiming for the monster's soft neck....

Edited by Xinimator
  • Upvote 1

A woman's scream pulled Raurke's attention from the fire-prisoned troll. Ninawas on the ground now, doubled up on her side with a fourth troll looming over her; a dagger protruding from it's neck. The others were busy dealing with what they thought was the last troll, leaving Raurke with a hard decision. He dropped his sword and rushed the new comer, disappearing with a wisp of black smoke and reappearing suddenly, between Nina and her attacker. His fingers now bony claws stuck in the troll's forearms, a mouthful of fangs glaring out at the three-eyed monstrocity. His cloak now covered Nina, in an attempt to prevent any witness of his true nature.

Raurke grappled with the surprised beast, unintelligible words of the dead-tongue seething from his mouth as he tore at the dagger. The troll's muscles rippled as it fought back, both figures trading blows from clawed hands. At some point in the melee, Raurke had managed to dislocate one of the troll's arms, severing the tendons at it's shoulder. With one arm useless, the troll faltered, giving Raurke an opening to sink his claws into the beast's throat and rip it out.

His foe taken care of, Raurke focused his attention to Nina. "Are you ok, child?" he asked, pulling his mask over his face. "Winded, bruised, a little battered, but alive." came Nina's reply. the woman struggling to pull Raurke's cloak off of her. "Not a word of this leaves your mouth." Raurke spat, helping her up and retrieving his sword. "I've lost a lot to this curse, and I'll appreciate not having to answer questions." With that, Raurke replaced his cloak and hurried off to see what assistance the others needed.

• Upvote 1

The snow from the mountain storm filled the veil and as the last troll slumped to the ground, the Mill Tavern yard began to white out with wild flurries and biting winds. Hearing Night’s protests continuing from the stable, William hurried inside to calm her, with several other following to do the same. Duncan kept a grip on his blades, the hilts wetted with melting snow and troll blood and freezing with both, as he made his way through the yard taking a final head count. There were a total of four frost trolls by his count, the type usually only found in the deepest recesses of ice laden caverns or high up at the throat of the world. Something had driven them down into the veil, perhaps they had followed the storm.

Suddenly, cloaked by the white of the snow, a frost troll lurched up in front of him, so close he could have wretched from its breath alone. It was pierced through by two arrows near its neck and bleeding badly, bits of fur were burned black and seared down to the muscle in places. If he’d had a moment to think about it, he might have pitied the poor beast. It opened its broad mouth with a shriek, intent on taking the Imperial down with it, when it’s shriek was joined by a mighty whinny and pounding hooves dropped down on the troll, crushing it to death. A few more good stomps and Savior tossed his head in satisfaction.

“Good work boy, he never saw you coming,” his crimson haired rider praised, patting him heartily before turning a crooked chin toward Duncan, “and neither did you.”

“Who could in this mess?” Duncan protested with a shrug, “bah it’s damn good to see you now though Red, welcome home. Thought you’d be gone another week yet.”

She dismounted, “Well what can I say, business was good,” she scanned the yard, “what happened here?”

“Trolls,” Duncan answered obviously, “Grond thought they’d make good guard dogs, had a bit of a time breaking them though.”

Red laughed, “Maybe the next lot will be smarter.”

“We can only hope,” he grinned as they walked toward the stables.

The Mill Tavern folk resettled the horses in their stalls before securing the stables for the long night and heading back inside to the Tavern’s warm fires and steaming ale. Balow kept the drinks flowing while they victoriously recapped the night’s events from their varying points of view. By the time the storm finally began to break, all had crept their way to their rooms and a comfortable bed.

---------------------

“I’ve been thinking it over,” Duncan announced as he descended the last step and strolled over to the table where Carter and Grond were perusing a bandit’s map of the territory, “I don’t think we’re looking for one group of bandits.”

“How do you figure?” the Redguard asked, crossing his arms, “it’s the same location, you know bandits don’t like to overlap territories.”

“Well look,” he traced a finger over the map, “the band that hit the Legion Outpost came only that one night here, three riders no one saw, except for their backs as they rode out. Carter and I tracked them this way, up into the mountains. This was one set of tracks going one way and it was high.”

Carter nodded, “Right, if they were coming back and forth there would have been more tracks, a worn path even. Sounds like maybe they came in for more than just a few gold coins that were reported.”

“Agreed,” Duncan replied, “now the other group, they are four or five strong, sometimes on horses, sometimes not, and there have been witnesses, people who were attacked directly. We didn’t track them but from what folks have said they are probably operating locally, somewhere south into the woods.”

Grond grunted, “Not going to be an easy lot to find, those woods are thick, good cover for archers, but if there’s a band operating nearby, they need to be stopped, and Manan is offering good pay for his goods back. We ought to split into two parties then eh?”

Carter tugged at his leather bracers to tighten the blades hidden beneath, “Duncan and I are heading back into the mountains, see if we can pick up that trail after the storm last night. We might have use for your tracking skills Grond, but it’s your call, ride with us, or take some of the others south after the bandit party.”

Grond hated thinking almost as much as he hated being sober, but he knew it was his call. Heading into the mountains with Carter and Duncan seemed most likely to lead to a dead end, more thinking, and only the pittance bounty the Legion was offering on their return. Heading south left him certain of battle and skulls to crack with Manan’s generous reward to claim for the job done. The choice was obvious.

“I can almost hear skulls cracking,” he grinned.

"Um," said Nina, "is there any left for the rest of us?"

The others had begun to come down from their rooms. The Hall was dim in the light of the small fire, scattered candles, and the first hint of morning which glowed through the frosted windows.

Before Grond lay a feast of eggs, potatoes and beef. He shoveled more food into his mouth and laughed shortly at Nina's remark. Swigging a little Rotgut the Nord simply nodded and gestured toward Eshe. Then he dug back into his present quest, and paused only to slap at Duncan's hand as he took a large chunk of the Nord's breakfast. "Hey!" complained Grond through a mouthful.

Ignoring him and eating his loot, Duncan spoke. "What Grond meant to say is that he'll be heading down towards Dragon Bridge, as soon as it's light enough to give away his position to any Bandits there." At this, Grond coughed out another single laugh.

"Any that's coming with," said the Nord to his plate, "be ready soon, I'm almost done. Bring out yer furs too - we'll want some quiet while we move." He drained his mug with abandon, and more than a little liquid spilled down his face. Nina shuddered.

William eyed Grond's attire. It was the same heavy steel garb which the Nord had on the night before. "Beg pardon," he said, "but if we must be silent, how is it that you remain in your steel?"

Felix agreed. "What's this about silent? Where are your furs?"

"I'm the exception that proves the rule, my darlings," replied the Nord.

"Meaning," called Red as she came down the stair, "that he'll probably throw himself into the arms of the bandits and let you save him. Right Grondy?"

"You know me to my core, Dearie - why can't you stop with this flirting?" Grond tried to take hold of Red as she passed, but the lithe Bard swatted him across the face and danced away. "I better go with you to keep you alive."

Grond lifted his arms very slightly in feigned excitement and gave out a weak "yay".

Ferrin appeared with a platter of assorted meats and fruits, and the company picked through the food for their favorites. All applauded the boy's new battle scar, and Manan's ( and Eshe's) healing skills.

A short time later, after they had eaten, the company filed outside. Dawn was near, and in the gloaming the world was blushing and still. The land was a white field, glittering and punctuated by domes, some broken under their own weight, revealing what they had covered. It was decided that Manan, Nina, and Red would make their way with Grond to seek the Bandits at Dragon Bridge. Raurke, William, and Felix would accompany Carter and Duncan toward the place to which they had earlier tracked the other bandits.

"Fool's journey, you ask me," said Grond.

"Don't remember asking you," came Duncan's reply. "Just don't go charging into too big a bunch, okay, my little sweetroll?"

They all laughed, including Grond, who as he jumped into Mik's saddle, blew Duncan a kiss. They mounted their horses and set off through the deep drifts - Carter, Duncan, William, Raurke and Felix rode into the climbing land. Grond watched them go. Fool's journey, he thought.

Grond, Nina, Manan and Red rode down the white sea, where the road had been, into the lower hills. Day broke, and all became a blinding white field. The airs were still until the group came out of the snow and down into the thickly forested region. Then breezes found them. Red growled. "Curse this cold," she muttered. "Better here than up in the passes, though, and we can bring our horses to a nice safe spot I have."

"Yeah," said Grond, "we're better on foot. Lead us, O Red One."

As Red passed Grond, Manan interjected, "Safe spot? What's this?"

Red said, "A cave. Well hidden and empty."

They rode without incident for some time, along the road. Eventually they came to a tall square rock that stood like a guardian to one side of the road - naturally carved into the shape by the weather and the ages. 'Here,' said Red. They rode to the right of the rock and made their winding way into the thick wood. Red led them around the wide boles of old trees, some with hardy vines that hung from limbs like braids.

Half a mile later, alerted by some sign the others did not see, Red stopped. They stood in the midst of the forest, which looked the same to the others in all directions. Red dismounted.

"Lunch?" Grond joked.

"No my hungry Nord," replied the bard. "We're here."

Nina grunted. "Eh? Where's the safe spot?"

To answer, Red smiled and took hold of what at first appeared to be a thick hanging vine. They saw it was actually a rope. Red pulled, and they heard grinding, as the forest floor split in front of them, and slowly opened. Earth and dead leaves spilled down into the opening, which was lit with torchlight from within.

They peered into the maw, and saw stone steps leading down. The ceiling seemed tall enough to admit a giant's entrance. Grond muttered, "Whoa."

"Dunno who made this, but I've been using it for a long time," Red declared as she led the trio down the steps. Saviour went almost eagerly, Mik, who bore both Grond and Maran, went easily as well, but Rain hesitated, huffing and snorting. Nina leaned to her mount's ear and with some whispered words, the horse stamped behind and down into the cave, where the group would leave their horses, and they would begin tracking the bandits that had attacked Manan.

William brought Night to whoa as Raurke and Felix passed him on a narrow path of crumbling earth following after Carter. He spent a glance back at Grond and his crew heading south toward Dragon Bridge and wondered if he might’ve been happier following that golden prize; was typically good bait for a thief. Duncan brought Ghost up beside him and followed his gaze.

“I can’t promise you riches,” the Imperial said genuinely, seeming to understand, “I’m afraid the outpost hasn’t much gold to spare these days, but I’m glad you’ve come along with us any way,” he offered a grateful nod as he tugged Ghost forward around Night, “Those incantations of yours are sure to give pause to any trolls we might encounter and after last night, I think I’ve had my fill.”

William smiled slightly and politely returned the nod, watching Duncan follow the others through the nearly hidden pass behind the Mill Tavern. He’d traveled a great deal despite his youth and even stretching back to his childhood, had found little use for Imperial men; always so arrogant, so privileged, they were takers…conquerors. Yet this one appeared to be different than those he had met in the past, perhaps he was merely more intuitive than others of his race; it would remain to be seen. For now, he was content to follow. This road might offer more than one opportunity to plunder spoils, and was certain to give his magic a workout, that was enough reason.

-------------------------

As they reached the ridge above the Mill Tavern, Duncan kicked Ghost to a canter to pass the others and catch up to Carter at the head of their group.

“Carter, hold on,” he called as he neared his friend, “I need to stop in at the caravan for supplies, I haven’t a single curative for disease and I’m not spending another week in camp with Rattles and fever. Just wait, I’ll be right back.”

“Bah Greyer, we haven’t time for this,” Carter growled, then shouted to Duncan’s back as he pressed on down a side path to the caravan encampment, “would you just ask her to share a meal with you already?!”

Felix brought his horse up beside Carter, “What is Rattles?”

The Redguard sighed impatiently.

Ghost fairly glided over the soft dirt path as they cantered into the Khajiiti encampment. Normally their trade caravan camped in the Mill Tavern yard, just at the mouth of the road in, but when storms blew through, they often moved into the vale pass behind the mill where their tents would set up next to the rocky crags and trees, providing a lot more shelter from the cold and wind. As he entered the camp, there were already signs that they were breaking, it meant they didn’t foresee any more storms in the near future, and Khajiits had good instincts for such things.

Eshe was stirring something in a pit over one of their camp fires and she raised a hand in greeting as he brought Ghost to a stop and dismounted.

The silver cat offered a sort of hissing sound as he drew close, a familiar Khajiiti greeting, before she spoke, “I see you are returning to the mountain, Ja Dun,” she said motioning to the ridge where his party was waiting, “you are going after those men, who thieved Legion officers?”

“That’s right,” he replied, “I have need of some curatives, just in case we uh…might be gone for some time…want to be prepared,” he flinched inwardly at his over explaining.

“Then I am glad you have come, it is wise to be prepared,” she answered, crouching to rummage through a wooden case nearby filled with potions and ingredients, “I would not want anything to… happen to you,” she blushed passing him a few bottles.

“Thank you,” he said quietly, passing her the coins for her wares.

They exchange shy smiles at one another but their intimate moment was interrupted by Eshe’s cousin Jelani arriving boisterously with a large cache of fish from the river nearby, “Hail to our friend!” he greeted, clapping Duncan on the back with a knowing paw and a toothy grin, “what say you friend, join us for lunching? Have some nice feesh here to share,” he said shaking the fish in front of the Imperial.

Duncan laughed backing away, “No no, that’s alright, Jelani. Thank you though. I need to return to my road, want to make the most of daylight. Farewell, and may Khenarthi’s breath sustain you.”

“And you, our friend,” Jelani waved him off.

Duncan returned to Ghost but the sound of soft footsteps gave him pause and Eshe appeared behind him, “Ja Dun, wait,” she drew close, her voice barely a whisper, she smelled of peppermint and sage, “Take this,” she said quietly slipping a folded piece of parchment into his pocket, “there is something the Legion wants to keep secret, they have maps and these are very valuable…in certain markets. In Dragon Bridge I heard the officer say that is what the thieves stole, a map. Khenarthi keep you well,” she whispered in his ear, her face just brushing his as she withdrew and returned to her cousin’s company.

Flushed and bewildered, Duncan mounted Ghost and turned his broad head, kicking him back toward the road, retrieving the parchment as he rode. The paper fell open in his lap revealing a cryptic map with what appeared to be a number of locations marked. One was at the peak of the mountain overlooking their vale.

“That looked pretty cozy from here,” Carter pried when Duncan drew close, “what did she want?”

“To give us this,” he passed the parchment to the Redguard who scrutinized it closely. It appeared to be a map of Skyrim, but was lacking the key landmarks to be certain of that, likely to distort the purpose of it.

Carter shook his head doubtfully, “How do you know this is connected to our bandits?”

Duncan shrugged, “I don’t, but Eshe seemed to think it might be useful so we’ll hang onto it,” he said taking the parchment back and stuffing it into his satchel, “after you, mate.”

Carter nudged Flint forward at last and the others fell into step behind him, leaving Duncan to bring up the tail. Bypassing the main road they had followed the morning before that lead from the village, he guided the group to the point higher up the mountain where he and Duncan had finally abandoned the trail. The path was well sheltered by trees, and somewhat overgrown, it may have served as a deer path down to the river, but certainly wasn’t man made. Even from his saddle he could see the impressions of horse tracks they had been following, specifically the one mount with the broken shoe.

“We’ve got tracks yet,” he replied with a grin, “but the grass is thick through here, we need a scout.”

“Please,” Raurke piped up sliding out of his saddle, “allow me,” he passed his reins to Felix before walking stiffly to the path glad to be rid of his mount. He took a moment to examine the tracks Carter directed him to, “This way then,” he said leading them through the trees and underbrush on foot.

Snowflakes began to fall gently as they carried on. There were a few daylight hours left, with Raurke scouting they could get much higher by the time they’d have to make camp.

The inside of the cave was spacious and cold. All sound made by the group echoed around the hallowed cavern. The cave sloped down deep into the earth where a pool stood at the bottom, a small stream trickling down into it from a small hole in the roof of the cave. Light beamed in through it providing a good source of natural light, just enough to see suficiently. Red lit the torches mounted on the stone walls, the flames bringing much needed warmth and light. The warm colours created an atmosphere of life and safety to the tranquil cavern. There was an enclosed pen where the horses were kept. They settled in quickly.

"This is extroadinary." Manan half spoke, half whispered in awe. "I wonder who made this, how, and why. Clearly they were very skilled and intelligent." He continued. Red nodded in agreement. "I'll never forget the day I found it. Perhaps I'll tell you another time though. Right now we need to deal with these bandits." She spoke with an edge of steel in her voice, she meant business, these bandits had no idea what was coming for them. She was looking forward to giving them their not so pleasant surprise.

"No doubt." Manan scoffed. "I like the way you think. There is business to be done." Manan almost cracked a smile, but stopped himself. He had an image to maintain, after all.

"What's the plan? I'm itchin' to crack some skulls." Grond asked impatiently. It had been a whole night since he had fought. Far too long.

"Where did the bandits raid your shipment, Manan?" Nina inquired. She had a plan ready.

"Deep in the forest. They came out nowhere, so I have no idea what direction they came from." Manan answered, shifting in discomfort at how easily ambushed he was.

"Can you take us back there?" Red ventured. She knew what Nina was getting at.

"Hmph." He scoffed once more. "Of course I can."

"Are you thinking what I'm think, Nina?" Red turned to face her. Her crooked smirk beaming with mischief.

"I think I am. One of us poses as bait, and when the bandits ambush us, we turn the tide and ambush them?" Nina glanced to Grond and Manan for their approval. Manan nodded. Grond shrugged. "I'm happy so long as I break some bandit's bones."

"Who's bait?" Red queried.

"Hardly me or Grond." Manan gestured. "They've already robbed me, and I don't think I look like the most exciting target, not without a shipment of dwarven weapons, anyway." He scoffed. "Grond's looks too strong for them to dare trying. And I'm nothing if I'm not a gentleman, so it will have to be one of you, ladies." He leaned on his cane snidely.

"Charmed." Red retaliated sarcastically.

"I'll do it." Nina smiled. "The bandits will mistake me for being weak and frail, last mistake they'll ever make. That and I have a lovely little hiding spot under my tunic where I keep my dagger. Bandit makes the wrong move and he'll be in Oblivion before you know it."

"You're sure?" Red asked.

"Yes, I'm sure." Nina confirmed. "I have you to watch my back, I'll be fine."

"Lead the way, Manan!" Grond cheered.

"Hush, you. We're going. Don't tell me what to do. Be silent and follow me." Manan snapped. "Sheesh, allright, allright....." Grond sighed and rolled his eyes in response.

==================================================

After walking miles deeper into the forest, Manan stopped the group. It was nearing dusk and the sun was shining through the trees, tinting the snow a fiery gold. Manan turned to the group. "It's just up ahead. I trust you're prepared, Nina?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." She replied.

"Grond.....could you.....hmm...try to...hide? You'll attract attention very easily in that steel. And then your almost as tall as a giant. Not good for discretion, wouldn't you agree?" Manan gestured to him.

"I'll try my best to stay out of sight." Grond hid in some bushes, his armour clinking in it's ordinary fashion along the way.

"I'll hide over there, bow readied." Red pointed to a large rock concealed by trees.

"I'll give the signal to Red and Grond. You see that rock over there? It was just past that where I got robbed. Walk past there and hopefully our prey will pounce on us. Now Nina, once I've given the signal, I am going to get out of here, I'll meet you all back at the inn in Dragon's Bridge. I have business I must attend to." He reached his hand out to her and they shook hands. "Good luck." He whispered.

"Thanks, pray for us, we'll see you in Dragon's Bridge." And with that, Nina walked down the path.

She breathed deep as she neared the rock. A twig snapped ahead of her and she swore she saw a shadow move. They were there allright, and they were ready and waiting.

She turned around to Manan and gestured to him to signal Red and Grond. He did so, and as quickly so did he leave for Dragon's Bridge. Turning back, a man was standing there, a dagger in his hand.

"Hmm, what have we got here? Lost, are you?" He slyly questioned her.

"I'm a merchant, good sir, and I know exactly where I'm going, thank you."

"A merchant? You'll have to pay the road tax then. A hundred Septims." He put out his hand.

"I'm not paying your kind anything." Nina retaliated.

"My kind? And what kind would that be?"

"Bandits!" Nina roared, pulling her dagger from her sleeve and trying to strike at the him. He dodged her attack.

"My friends, looks like we have an uncooperative victim!" And with that, bandits poured out from the bushes, surrounding Nina in a circle, weapons readied.

"End of the line, missss." An argonian bandit hissed at her.

"Don't be so sure about that." Nina smiled at him.

"Hmmm?....."

At that moment, Grond and Red came into the fray, a flurry of blade, arrow and blood began between the two groups.

Grond was swinging his hammer wildly, any unfortunate victim meeting it soon retreating, or simply dieing. Unline the trolls they had encountered the night before, these bandits could not handle the damage done by Grond's hammer. Red meanwhile was sniping down any she could, though she quickly had to swap for her knife as they neared her. Nina was likewise using a dagger. Together it was like a deadly dance of death between them as they dodged the blows of the bandits while delivering their own. The fight went on in this chaotic fashion until the last bandit lay dead at their feet.

"Impressive, I must say." A man was leaning against a tree, a bow in his hand, watching them. They all turned to look at him, while doing so a bandit that wasn't quite dead yet tried to take a stab at Grond, the man quickly shot him down, startling Grond, Red, and Nina.

"Yes, you missed one. Should watch out for that in the future. Otherwise it may.....stab you in the back."

"Where did you come from?" Nina asked him, confused.

"I was here all along, waiting for you."

They all looked at each other, confused.

"You.....waited for us?" Grond was suspicious of him, where did he come from? Who was he? What did he want?

"Indeed I did, Grond."

This gave Grond a start.

"H-h-how d-do you know my name?!" Grond demanded of him.

"I know all of your names. Grond, Nina and Red. Yes?"

The group didn't know what to make of this.

"What are you?" Nina asked him.

"A Breton." He answered.

"A Breton?" Red repeated. "You expect us to believe that? Who are you?"

"You may call me Haunt."

"Haunt? Not your true name, I take it?" Red asked unsure of him.

"Could the same not be said of your identity? Is Red your true name or is it a mask to disguise yourself indefinately? You are a bard, who often serve as spies. 'Twould make sense for you to tell us all lies."

"You do realise that we aren't going to believe a strange man we meet in the middle of nowhere, who knows all of our names, what we do, and says his name is Haunt, right? It comes across as creepy. I think you know more than a little." Red said, puzzled.

"Ah, well indeed my name is not truly Haunt. I will not reveal who I am to you.....yet. I am not an ordinary Breton, though." Haunt replied.

"Hmm? What is different about you?" Red inquired.

"I know all of this about you from Fate. I am a follower of Azura. So you see, I don't just know all of this. I've been told it. I was waiting here today because I am meant to go with you."

"So you're telling us you know a lot about us, because you follow a Daedric Prince. And you've been waiting here for us because that Daedric Prince said you must travel with us?" Grond sounded aggressive and defensive.

"Yes, that's precisely it." Haunt answered.

"Red, Nina, I don't like this." Said Grond.

"I am speaking the truth. I apologize for being so sudden. Fate does work like that though. I am merely following what Azura has told me to do. So what do you say? May I join you?....."

The forests of Skyrim weren't like the woodlands of Cyrodiil, Raurke thought as his eyes keenly followed the line of hoofprints through the lushest and greenest forest he'd ever laid eyes on. The whole scene filled him with a sense of joy, though short-lived. "It would seem something spooked our prey." Raurke said aloud, startling Carter and Duncan.

"How would you know?" Carter piped up, certain he'd read the tracks right.

"My eyes tell me, though I see no sign of what may have spooked them." Raurke said, pointing a good 3 meters ahead. "What's more, I smell sulfur in the air."

Duncan scoffed. "Had I known you were into the Skooma, I'd have done the tracking." Dismounting, Duncan followed the tracks farther along. "Well now. Carter, seems we're farther behind than we thought; they broke into a full gallop. Wonder what spooked them."

Carter sniffed the air and, not detecting anything unusual, suggested they just keep moving. Something felt amiss to him, and he didn't like it. "At this pace, they may very well be two days' ride ahead of us." Carter finally said.

"Back on the horse?" Raurke queried, wondering why he bothers to hide anything.

"Aye, we have a general heading, and we have a good two hours of day-" Duncan was cut off by a distant, lofty roar. The group collectively shivered. "I believe we have an answer to one question, and I'd rather not stick around to face one of those. Duncan resumed. To this, Carter and Raurke nodded in harmony. "You two can ride, I'll keep pace on foot." Raurke spoke up. "Someone has to keep an eye on the trail."

Edited by charlescrowe
ROFL I almost deleted this

Meanwhile, Grond, Nina and Red surveyed the stranger who had asked to join them.

"Haunt, is it?" said Grond. The pale stranger nodded. "You may call me that."

The Nord pulled off his helmet. "Well, Haunt, join us in getting whatever we can from these bandit's purses, yeah?" Holding the helmet in the crook of an arm, he wiped blood from his face with a bit of cloth he had torn from one of the dead foes. Grond turned and carefully set the helmet on a tree stump, then began roughly searching the dead.

Red chuckled. "That's a 'thank you for the arrow'. You're welcome to join us. Come!"

They picked through the four bodies. It seemed the bandits had not been very fortunate that day, for all they found for the most part were things they all had found on all bandits they had encountered: gems, a few lockpicks, a few septims, some other trinkets. On the Argonian, however, Nina found a strange item. "Hi!" she called to the others. "What's this?"

They gathered around Nina, eyeing the piece she held. It was a metal scarab, encrusted with four gems: a diamond, a ruby, an emerald, and an amethyst. Grond whistled softly. "Adamantium," he muttered like a prayer.

Nina turned it over and saw that there were four prongs protruding from the underside of the beetle. "A key!"

"Indeed it is," said Red. "Now where's the lock?"

They'd all seen such a strange key before in their travels. "It's gonna be a puzzler," said Grond, "wherever it is. Let's see what the ground has to say. Don't follow me." They watched the Nord scan the surrounding turf with slow patience. He sniffed the breeze, shook his head, then took a few hesitant steps toward one of the bodies. Seeming to paw at the ground just past the body, the Nord took a handful of loam and brought it close to his face. He dropped it then, brushed his hands together briskly, and waved the others to follow him. He set off walking toward the mountains, in a curious bent pose, as if he were an old man.

"OK," said Red, "our hound's found something. I'll get his helmet."

Raurke quickly led the group further into the mountains following the faint trail the bandits had taken. Carter followed close behind Rauke, often making comments that they might make better time if Raurke would get on his horse and ride.

William brought up the rear of the party just behind Duncan. He much preferred riding behind the others as it gave him a good view of what they were up to. But, the fact that he was not that great a tracker kept him from the front. The way he saw it though, he could watch their back as they watched the front.

They made good time and soon the daylight started to dim. Will looked down an overlook to the valley below which was already covered in darkness. Looking up, the mountain peak was still in daylight, but the darkness from below was inching its way up the mountain.

William looked ahead at the others whom seemed to be distracted in the task of tracking to notice the encroaching darkness.

“Perhaps it’s time to setup camp?” William said into the silence.

Duncan jumped in his saddle and startled, looked behind himself at Will. “By the Eight! I forgot you were back there you’re so quiet!”

Carter and Raurke both looked up at the sky and then scanned their surroundings.

Carter was the first to point towards an overhanging rock on the face of a cliff. “That should be a good spot to setup camp for the night. The lack of trees around the area should make it easy to spot anything approaching camp.”

Raurke scanned the horizon and then back at the proposed camp. The tracks headed into the camp they themselves were heading for. At least by the looks of things, it was currently unoccupied.

Will rode ahead towards the camp at a gallop and was off Night and starting a fire by the time the others arrived.

Will had a huge grin on his face, “I just love the outdoors and camping with friends!”

Felix got down off Tallow and after rubbing his rear, pulled out his flute and started playing a merry tune as the others made camp.

Most of his life Will had been a loner in the world and traveling with companions just seemed to lift his spirits. Being a thief usually meant working alone and sometimes as a pair. He loved the camps the best, a time to warm up by a fire, cook some hot food and enjoy each other’s stories before heading off to sleep.

Before long the five of them had a warm fire with stew cooking over it, the aroma wafting into the cold night breeze. Duncan had brought out a bottle of wine and was in the middle of a tale about a giant and a fair maiden when they all froze, the howl of nearby wolves echoing in the darkness.

Suddenly alert and scanning the area with weapons drawn, they waited to see if the wolves were hungry enough to approach their camp.

Will had his bow out, an iron arrow nocked and ready. The Daedric bow glimmered slightly from the fire enchantment it possessed. His sharp eyes were the first to spot an incoming wolf.

“There!” he said as he concentrated, invoking the archers eye where time seemed to slow down and his view zoomed in on his target. He loosed the arrow and watched it fly through the air, a faint airstream glow following it as it arced towards its target. He was already drawing another arrow when the first hit the wolf between the eyes and sent it reeling backwards from the power of the blow.

Six more wolves came out of the wood line and raced towards the group. Raurke raised his hands and sent a lightning bolt into another of the beasts which ignited its fur and in a gout of fire, exploded into ashes.

With five wolves left, Will lined up another and sent another arrow down range. Unexpectedly, the wolf changed course and the arrow sliced through the air and buried itself into the ground behind the beast. Will cursed as he pulled another arrow out.

Felix incanted a dual fireball and let it loose where it slammed into into the ground in front of a wolf, the blast burning it and sending it high into the air.

As the wolves closed in, Carter threw a balanced knife into the skull of the closest growling wolf which thrust its head into the dirt, sending it cart wheeling towards him.

Another went down as an arrow from William’s bow hit it in the chest, a small ball of fire erupting around the wound, felling the wolf at Will’s feet. He then threw the bow down and pulled out his blades.

Duncan had his two swords out and watched as the wolf bared down on him. It jumped and was impaled on one sword as Duncan blocked the vicious bite with his other blade.

The last wolf leapt at Carter. He ducked under the wolf and two blades, once hidden on his wrists, flashed out and sunk into the underbelly of the wolf. Carter added to the momentum of the wolf to send it up and over the camp.

After the last thump as a dead wolf hit the ground faded, silence reigned once again on the mountainside.

Will broke the silence, “Well, that was fun!”

Carter, Duncan, Felix and Raurke all looked over at Will in disbelief…

Nina couldn't help but chuckle a little at Grond's unique tracking technique, but her chuckle was of a strained one. Bouncing the scarab key in her hand, she glanced repeatedly at the haunting newcomer, wary of how much he knew so much about the group. It was enough to put her on edge and didn't quite agree with Red and Grond's decision to let him come on.

But nevertheless, she didn't say anything as they made their way through the maze-like forest. While she didn't trust him as readily as the others, she was still willing to give him a chance. So long as he doesn't tip her off as a person with hostile intentions.

“This way!†Grond yelled and waved his hand at the rest of the group, “Aye, don't tell me carrying all that weight of gold and keys is slowing you down...â€

“You want to help, Dragon-Breath?†Red said and laughed before gently punching his shoulder, “Then be quiet and find that door for us. You can carry all the loot back to the tavern.â€

“And yer helping,†Grond remarked back, earning him yet another punch from the red-haired bard.

Seeing the two preoccupied, Nina glanced over at Haunt and decided it was a good time to learn more about their mysterious hitchhiker. “'Tis a dangerous game you play, Haunt...†she said quietly so as to keep the conversation between them, “Posing as a 'Messenger of Fate'. That'll get you killed in some places.â€

Haunt chuckled gently and smirked, “So you do not believe me then, do you?â€

“Oh, how did you possibly know?†she said sarcastically and glared at him, “Look....I'll be blunt, 'Haunt'. I don't like you. The fact that you can just walk up and know someone just by looking at them already has me on edge. But that's not all...†she said, glaring at him, “I don't even think half of what you say is true.â€

Haunt's smirk was gone now, replaced by an unreadable, grim expression, “It may be. It may not be. But surely that can't be the thing that upsets you. After all, everybody lies at one point in their life,†he looked at her curiously, his eyes boring into her as if he was trying to read her mind, “No, what upsets you about me is not me lying to protect myself, but rather what I work for.â€

“What you 'work' for?†Nina laughed and shook her head, “You can be the High Priest of the Nine Divine for all I care. No, what upsets me is that you just pop out of nowhere, know each one of us as if you lived with us, and expect us to trust you right off the bat. That's what I don't like about you.†Nina glanced at the Imperial and the Nord starting to walk away again and sighed, “....You can come. Apparently you made a better impression with those two than you did to me. But,†she warned and pointed a finger at him, “That doesn't mean I have to like you. Or even trust you. If you do anything to us....I won't hesitate to kill you.â€

“I assure you,†Haunt replied, “you have nothing to fear from me.â€

“We'll see about that,†Nina muttered and walked back quickly over to the rest of the group. She ignored the petty argument that was ensuing between the two, instead glancing at Haunt out of the corner of her eye.

---------------------

“Here,†Grond said as they entered a small clearing, “their scent's strong here.â€

“You know if you keep talking like that, I'm going to have to give you a nickname,†Nina said with a smile, “You may not like the choice, either.â€

Grond laughed, “Haha....and what can be worst than 'Dragon-Breath', little one?â€

Nina smirked and leaned in to whisper a few words in his ear. Grond listened and chuckled before nodding, “Aye....alright, I suppose that could be worse. But nothing can beat this...†he said and whispered something back at her.

Nina gawked and drew her head back to stare at him, “People call you that?! Really?â€

“Yep!†Grond said proudly and thumped his chest, “And I wear the name proudly, too.â€

“I wouldn't have. I'd probably put the guy who called me that in a coma,†Nina said and rolled her eyes.

“Ha, good luck,†Grond said with a laugh and thumped her in the back, “He's like a ghost. You never know where he is until he sneaks up behind ya and sticks a slimy frog down yer pants.â€

“Yep, as I said....coma,†Nina laughed before saying quietly, “But uh....I would prefer if you didn't call me 'little one'. In case you haven't noticed, I have a few more wrinkles than you do.â€

“Ah, but you're still a little one, little one,†the Nord said with a grin, “In case you haven't noticed, I'm a good foot taller than you.â€

“Bah....alright, I'll give you that one,†she grumbled and crossed her arms, “Sorry, I can't help it if I'm as short as an elf!â€

“Hey, that's a good thing!†Red piped up, “Means you can get into places this big boy can't get into. You have no idea how many times I had to get him unstuck.â€

“Oi....I'll get you later for that one, ye little bard. But we have other things to deal with,†Grond said and walked up to the stone wall that stood in their path. Where the wall led to, no one could see as the vegetation grew thick around them. Once again, Grond bent down and sniffed the air, taking a few small steps towards one particular spot until he placed his hand on the stone, “Here. This is the entrance.â€

“Alright, you greyhound,†Red said and gently pushed the Nord to get him to move out of the way before clearing the moss and vines off of it, “My turn to be useful,†she said and winked at the Nord before feeling her way among the stone. To Nina and Haunt, the section of the wall she was searching looked like any other part of the wall.

Just as Nina was going to comment on Grond's tracking abilities, the section of the wall sudden sunk into the rest of the infrastructure and slid open, revealing a large cavernous corridor. Judging by the lack of spider webs and footprints in the dirt, the entrance was used quite often. “Wow....mind if I steal Grond every now and then, Red?†Nina said and laughed, “I think I have some use for the big boy.â€

“You can get your own Nord, Nina,†Red said with a chuckle as she lit a torch, “Ol' Dragon-Breath here's my Nord. Lead the way, hon,†she said and handed Grond the torch.

Raurke couldn't sleep; not that he really needed it. He set himself to skinning the wolves that hadn't had their furs ruined by magic to pass the time. Something felt strangely familiar about this new group of people, a comradeship he hadn't known in centuries.

"I thought we decided I'd have first watch." Carter said, pulling Raurke from his thoughts.

"Aye, so we did." Raurke chuckled back, his thoughts stored away for later. "So, what's your story, assassin?" he continued, lifting his wrists to emphasize his point.

"No, I'm not brotherhood." Carter sighed. "It's a family thing. Going back some two-hundred years."

Raurke smirked "That so? I figured you had higher standards than those fanatics."

Carter nodded solemnly. "So, you think our prey got spooked by a dragon, huh?"

"Is that what that sound was?" Raurke asked, tones of incredulity staining his tongue.

"Quite likely, though I have my doubts about that beastie having been that close. I didn't smell any sulfur." Duncan piped in. "Ah, and your watch is over, Carter. get some sleep."

"We aren't after your run-of-the-mill bandits, are we?" Raurke asked, taking both Carter and Duncan by surprise. "This whole scene reeks of something far more valuable than a bit of golden shine."

The five adventurers broke camp early, keen to catch up with their quarry.

"What do you think we're looking for?" Felix asked of the group.

"Nothing heavy; they certainly weren't weighed down," offered Raurke

"Some kind of magical item most likely," William suggested, "something the Legion wouldn't report missing".

Felix thought he noticed a hint of resentment in the man's voice.

"I wonder-" he cut off abruptly as he almost ran into Flint's rear.

"Now that is odd..." came Carter's soft voice.

The redguard slid nimbly from his mount and walked over to join Raurke, who was crouching in the road.

Felix followed suit, intrigued. Sprawled on the road at Raurke and Carter's feet was the diminutive form of a wood elf. He was dressed simply in furs and a dark cloak, and nothing seemed strange to Felix beside his being dead.

"There's not a mark on him," Duncan pointed out.

Felix jumped as William's voice spoke from behind him.

"There's something in his hand," it said.

Sure enough, a tiny corner of folded parchment protruded from the Bosmer's clenched fist. Gently parting the fingers, Raurke extracted it intact. The other adventurers moved around to peer over his shoulder as he unfolded it. The parchment was blank but for a strange symbol in blotchy ink. The scout peered at it for a short time before passing it to Carter, who passed it to Felix.

"You're a mage, what do you make of it?" he asked

Felix didn't know what to say, whichever way he turned it, the overlapping circles and intersecting lines seemed to make no sense.

"It's not in any language I've ever seen," he started, "it doesn't really look like a letter or a word at all. Not a magical rune either as far as I know. Maybe some kind of code symbol? I've heard the Thieves' Guild uses something like that..."

William shook his head slowly, "Not Thieves' Guild," he said.

Duncan held out his hand and, taking the parchment, held it up to the morning sun.

"Invisible ink?" Carter suggested, following his train of thought.

The Imperial turned to answer, but someone beat him to it.

"You're not far off, actually. Now how about you hand it over, and I kill you quickly,"

The group turned as one to face the speaker. A Nord in similar dress to the dead man stood in the centre of the road, feet planted as firmly on the ground as if he had grown there. William scanned the surroundings for the man's accomplices and, finding none, felt incredulous, even a little insulted, that this man was so sure of himself. For a moment, the Nord simply stood there, surveying them silently with cold grey eyes, then reached slowly into a pouch at his belt. The adventurers readied their weapons as one, but faster than lightning, the Nord's gloved hand reappeared, bringing with it a handful of fine silver sand.

With a smirk he tossed it at the adventurers, and for a split second Felix noticed the way it sparkled as it caught the light. A feeling in the back of his mind gave him the feeling of danger. He threw his hands in front of him and called for flames. He felt the heat rush from his hands, and faint disturbance of his companions getting clear. Releasing he flames, he turned to locate his companions and their foe, finding a fine layer of what looked like molten metal on his gloves and the front of his robes. The Nord had vanished from his spot in the road, and instead was swapping swordblows with Raurke in the quickest fight Felix had ever seen. Just to the mage's left, Duncan was coming up from a dive, and Carter was on his way into the melee, hidden blades. He could not see William, but an arrow whistled past his ear, embedding itself deep into their attacker's bicep. The man staggered and Raurke brought up his sword for a killing blow. But somehow, the injured man was already gone. He whirled backwards and flung his sword at the scout, drawing a long knife in time for Carter's collision. The Redguard ducked under the blade and cut upwards, just brushing the man's cheek with a blade. The nord swung a leg round and swiped Carter from his feet. The assassin made a neat roll and parried the man's knife with his wristguard.

Felix tossed a lightning bolt, drawing the man's attention as the sparks flashed over his skin. William took the opportunity, and another arrow pierced the man's chest. Still he was unshaken, and Felix could have sworn he saw him smirk . He drove an elbow backwards into Carter's face as the Redguard shot up from the ground. Duncan chose his moment, and he and Raurke attacked in tandem as the man made towards Felix and William.

Carter wiped blood from his nose as he realized something was wrong, very wrong. There was no way any living creature could survive the damage the wild Nord had taken and not be phased. With that realization, a wave shimmered in his eyes as if the world were underwater, then his vision cleared.

He watched as Raurke and Duncan swung their blades in the air, never hitting the wild Nord. Lightning from Felix blasted the ground and William’s arrow shot high overhead while the Nord slashed at his friends.

“Illusion!” Carter cried out, “The Nord is using illusion to make you think your hitting him when you’re really not!”

With that Carter ran to join the melee while the others blinked their eyes and tried to focus on the battle. The Nord threw his weapons at Carter and high tailed it into the woods, sliding down a sharp snowy embankment and into a freezing river where he was quickly swept away downstream.

Duncan put his blades back into his scabbards and sighed, “That was odd…”

William stepped up behind him and replied, “That’s for sure”.

With the initial disorientation over, Duncan pulled out the scrap of parchment again, “What do you suppose he meant by not being far off at invisible ink?”

William shrugged, “Perhaps we could ask an alchemist about it? I was never much good at that sort of thing. Give me a good lock to pick, or home owner to sneak past and I am good as gold.”

Carter raised one eyebrow at William. “Well, I suggest we move on and see if we can’t find out where those bandits went.”

Duncan nodded, “Right,” as he climbed onto Ghost and continued up the trail with Raurke taking lead.

The group was once again moving upward into the mountains, following their quarry.