DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

My turn!

_echo

Ok, so I decided its time I overhaul my computer. And me being the techie I am, I always look to enlist outside opinions about what I'm looking at getting just in case there are better deals and/or some incompatibilities that I may have missed.

So for starters, my current system.

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (e6600)

Nvidia 750i SLI motherboard

4GB (4x1GB) Gskill RAM @800MHz

Nvidia GTX260 216 core edition

600W Rosewill PSU

Now, I want to modernize my system to more or less "future proof" the platform for any single upgrades I may need to do down the line. As such, the only thing I can bring over is the graphics card and the PSU. So here is what I am looking at.

4GB (2x2GB) Gskill RAM @1600MHz x2 (8GB total) - $60 (30x2)

Intel i5-2300 2.8GHz - $180

Gigabyte Z68 motherboard - $105

Changes: #1

Intel i5-2300 2.8GHz - $180

MSI P67A motherboard - $115

G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) RAM @ 1600MHz - $65

Subtotal - $360

Tax - $26

Shipping - $7

--------------

Total - ~$393

As far as optics and hard drives, I am all set there. Just the core system needs to be overhauled. I may add on a new case later, and maybe a new PSU if i decide to get a GTX460 at some point.

Anyhoo, what do you guys think?

I have a Gigabyte P55 MB and honestly, I don't like it. It's soooo picky about everything, especially RAM compatibility. My next overhaul I'm going back to ASUS.

I also run an i5 with a GTX460 on a (I think) 650 PSU and everybody there is happy.

If I were you I'd invest in more than 8GB of RAM, especially if your going to run Win7 64bit.

Your choice of MoBo and RAM are strangely nearly identical to mine. Considering how stable my system is with those, you shouldn't have any problem with those. Except for the terribad Click-BIOS that hates my video output (normally HDMI, but I need to switch to VGA in order to use my BIOS). XD

I do have to take exception to your CPU choice, though. If you are willing to bump up an additional $45.00, get yourself a 2500K. It's 500Mhz faster and also fully overclockable. The key is in the K. No K, no overclock.

Also, I would object to Hana's comment about RAM. There is no way in the whole wide world you are going to need 16Gb of RAM in this day and age. Most PC games are still 32bit, so they'd only ever use half your RAM at once if you use the LAA tweak if you go down to 8Gb. Add to that the extra two gigs of reserved OS space, you still have two gigs left over mostly spending their time idling. If you need to shave some pennies for the CPU, I'd suggest dropping to an 8Gb package in 4Gb sticks. That is more than enough for today, and leaves you with two free slots that you can fill in later if you need them.

Edited by ThomasKaira

Well if you don't mind using AMD processors then here's a set up that I suggested to Vereta and he's exteremly happy with his new system. These are only the core components that you wanted. Vereta built a whole new system. I originally priced it at TigerDirect and he went price shopping and this I believe is where he bought his parts. Saved a few dollars. Also suggested if needing to save a few more $$$ he could use Processor with minimal performance lose since this is the processor I use.

Motherboard

Processor

Memory

EDIT: links fixed for anyone else that might want to look at these parts. These links are from TigerDirect and not where Vereta bought his parts. Links to Amazon.com were broken.

Your choice of MoBo and RAM are strangely nearly identical to mine. Considering how stable my system is with those, you shouldn't have any problem with those. Except for the terribad Click-BIOS that hates my video output (normally HDMI, but I need to switch to VGA in order to use my BIOS). XD

I do have to take exception to your CPU choice, though. If you are willing to bump up an additional $45.00, get yourself a 2500K. It's 500Mhz faster and also fully overclockable. The key is in the K. No K, no overclock.

Also, I would object to Hana's comment about RAM. There is no way in the whole wide world you are going to need 16Gb of RAM in this day and age. Most PC games are still 32bit, so they'd only ever use half your RAM at once if you use the LAA tweak if you go down to 8Gb. Add to that the extra two gigs of reserved OS space, you still have two gigs left over mostly spending their time idling. If you need to shave some pennies for the CPU, I'd suggest dropping to an 8Gb package in 4Gb sticks. That is more than enough for today, and leaves you with two free slots that you can fill in later if you need them.

I dont really ever plan on overclocking. Ive tried it once and it was confusing and was just overall meh about the whole thing. I figure if I ever come to a point where I need to overclock, its time for a new processor.

As for the RAM. I can found 16GB for only ~$5 more, so its like, why not? I know very well that is never going to be necessary.

I have a Gigabyte P55 MB and honestly, I don't like it.

I've had real problems with Gigabyte motherboards, and have heard a lot of similar comments from others; same story with MSI, so I tend to be wary of both brands. That's "wary" as in "won't buy again", which may seem a little extreme, but I don't fancy being burnt again. I think my own inclination is to stick to the likes of Intel and Asus for MBs; they may be comparatively expensive, but "you get what you pay for" and all that.