DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Hello, Narmix here.

Narmix

Hi guys. I was invited over here by Khettienna over at the Nexus.

I'm not sure where to begin. I guess with my relevency to the modding community. I'm starting to learn modeling and texturing, and you may have seen my Silly Level of Detail Potions/Poisons and Wine Cellar mods. I know they're down right now, but that's because of some personal issues I have with them. I'll probably bring them up again in the future. I'm focusing on modeling and texturing because eventually I want to be in video game design and unfortunately have realized this at a pretty late age (24).

In fact, despite loving video games my entire life, I can't believe I didn't realize sooner that I'd like to work in game development as a modeler. I did well in high school, went to college, thought I wanted to be a cop, studied psychology to get my bachelors from which I graduated with a 4.0, can't find a job and am now unemployed, and have just decided to go into the military. Whew. Talk about eclectic and unfocused. It wasn't until last month I thought "It would be really cool to make models." Unfortunately, I have to support myself and it seems like the military is the way to go right now; pay off my loans, get a safe job that keeps me on base in the U.S., and practice modeling/texturing in my free time.

I primarily want to be a prop/environment modeler. I am not very interested in making organic things (primarily because I think I have zero ability to proportion organic things). However, a weird thing happened last night. Someone showed me a program called Sculptris and I opened it for the first time and thought "well, how about I humor myself and try to make a human head."

I ended up with this:

headv2.png

Over all, it's a ton better than I had expected. It took ~20 minutes. I really expected to go to bed sad, confused and disappointed in my life, but I ended up quite surprised at what I made. So maybe witha little practice, I will be able to make organic things. But for now, I'm going to focus on weapons/environment models, haha.

Edited by Narmix
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the Alliance, Narmix! Glad to see you made it. We have quite a few modelers here who will very much enjoy your company. :cookie4u:

That head mesh looks like a great beginning to a fun custom race. What was your inspiration?

Lol assuming I had inspiration of any kind is giving me too much credit. My process was "Hmm... I'll open up sculptris for the first time and humor myself at how bad I make a human head."

Seriously. I didn't have anything in mind except "can I make eyes?... hmm ok... Can I make a mouth? Eh, I'll try...." etc.

I guess "human" was my inspiration. I was trying to make something that looked human lol.

Welcome to the Alliance, Narmix! :pints:

That head mesh is fantastic for a 1st organic model. I haven't even looked into making meshes yet, but I can tell that must have been difficult, and there you did it in 20 minutes for the 1st time. :woot: Salutes to you sir. :salute:

I wish you the best of luck, and here's another cookie, eat them all before the bandits come! :ninja::cookie4u:

Haha, thanks guys. I can see this place is full of really cool people.

I'm trying to improve every day, so hopefully I can contribute something in the end. I hope with the advent of the construction (creation?) set, we can get some cool overhauls off the ground.

Welcome Narmix. I`ve fooled around with Creature and character meshes in blender but always managed to get side tracked. That head mesh is a great first effort. Congratz...wait, what? oooh...lookie... :cookie:

I've JUST started using sculptris, and I can say it feels so much more natural to make organic things than in blender. I will *never* try to make organics in blender ever again. Sculptris (like Z-brush) WILL produce 2 million poly models, but there's a tool to reduce polys. I reduce them just enough to make blender not crap itself when I import the obj, and then retopologize a low poly mesh out of it. Then I'll bake the details of the high poly mesh into a normal map to be applied to the new, low poly, retopo'd mesh.

So much easier and more natural than trying to get reasonable organic shapes out of blender (which is so clunky, mechanical, and much better for hard surface modeling).

Yes, yes, yes!

Edit: Invented a ghost pokemon; just messing around in sculptris. It's so cute and sad looking, like most ghost pokemon. Man, I haven't played pokemon in so long :(

ghostjj.png

Edited by Narmix

Welcome, Narmix!

A head mesh is a pretty ambitious thing to start with. The topology is quite complex, and people are very good at noticing defects in faces. I have to agree that it turned out pretty damn well.

Thanks, that's encouraging.

At first I really didn't like the idea of modelling characters or anything, but the more I think about it, the more I want to practice doing it. It'd be really cool to make a lore-friendly race, but I think I'm pretty far from being able to do that.

I actually have this urge to make cute things with big eyes... that's why I ended up making that little ghost pokemon thing up above; I hoped spending just a minute or two to make something like that would get the need to do it out of my system so I could focus on practicing something useful lol (but it hasn't).

Oh well, production is going to be slow this month while I suck up as many turorials/videos/guides as I can and cram my head full of neat techniques and tips. I'm following a lot of tutorials that don't produce anything that can be used in game (like this which may have been a silly waste of time because it was more of a blender scene tutorial than an object making tutorial). I'm trying not to waste too much time in my learning, but I suppose making something fun and learning is better than forcing myself to do something that's not as fun.

Sure, a steam engine is useless to us, but it's practice :)

I guess my introduction thread is also becoming the place for me to post non-Elderscrolls-related stuff I'm working on.

Just so you guys know I'm practicing.

Yesterday's project was to become more comfortable with the process of UVW mapping, texturing, normal mapping, combining normal maps, sculpting... pretty much everything.

I was listening to Deltron 3030 (futuristic sci-fi hip hop from Del the Funkee Homosapien) and decided a good project that I would enjoy doing would be making the official logo of the band as a 3D model scene. It's not totally done, but real life called and said "I don't care that you're not done, you have to do things."

The original:

deltron3030.png

My version:

deltron3030.png

Click Link for 1080p Version

The term "hiphop" might turn you off, but I seriously recommend putting aside any notions you might have and giving them a shot. It's intelligent rhyming mixed with post-apocalyptic themes and a totally unique sound.

P.S. If I should not use my introduction thread to post general practice stuff I'm working on, please let me know. I don't want to break the rules. I just thought an introduction topic is kind of off the Elder Scrolls topic to begin with, and this all is kind of an introduction to myself, anyway.

Edited by Narmix