DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Monitor troubles

Khettienna

Monitor: HP w2007 Wide LCD Monitor

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870

So, ever since I installed Win 7 on this machine, both the first and second time, I've had this little annoyance. When the windows gui starts, you know, the pretty blue picture that becomes a login screen, my monitor starts to flicker on and off. It stays on fine through the DOS portion of boot-up, and once the login screen is done loading, I can turn it off and back on and it's fine again after that. So it's not a devastating problem, just a terrible annoyance. I've exhausted my google skills over the last year and now I'm just hoping that by dumb luck someone has some new ideas.

Other notes:

• It doesn't happen when I attach the monitor to my XP machine.
  • It doesn't happen when I borrow the monitor from my XP machine and attach it to this machine.
  • I am using the most recent drivers for my monitor, and they are the correct ones for my operating system.
  • Likewise with my video drivers.

So if you have any thoughts, please share! Thanks in advance!

Are you running it at the default resolution of 1680 x 1050 / 60 Hz ?

Are you using HP's software/drivers? Win7 should be able to pick up the monitor and use generic drivers. I'd try the difference with generic over the HP. Reviews I read saythe HP software/drivers leave a lot to be desired.

• Upvote 1

Yes, and yes, to answer your questions; however, I actually was about to try re-installing the driver cleanly, again, and as I rebooted the machine without the HP driver installed at all, it didn't flicker. :faint:

So, solved! The generic PnP monitor drivers in Win 7 work just fine. If I hadn't just happened to discover this accidentally, your advice would have been spot-on, Arion, thank you! :hugs:

Ok, this is something extreme, just to see if we can use a tank to kill a fly.

First of all we're going to fully uninstall your monitor:

.- Right-click on the System icon on your desktop and select "Management" (or "Manage", I'm roughly translating from italian)

.- In the new window select the "Devices management" (or whatever it's called in english) branch

.- In the right pane find "Monitor" and open the branch

.- Right-click on the monitor model and select "Uninstall"; if there are two with the same name, uninstall both; if it gives you the option to uninstall drivers too, tick the box

Ok, once we're over with the noob stuff, let's move to the pro:

.- Start -> "Run..." -> gpedit.msc -> Enter

.- In the new window, in the left pane open these branches: "Computer Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "System" -> "Device Installation" and select "Device Installation Restrictions"

.- In the right pane find "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings" (or something alike) and double click it

.- In the upper half of the properties window are thre options, select "Enabled" and click "Ok"

Now you can restart your PC and Windows wont be allowed to install any device, either automatically or manually. This will prevent any unwanted driver to come in and mess up.

Now once again:

.- gpedit.msc

.- "Device Installation Restrictions"

.- Double click "Prevent installation of devices etc etc...."

.- Set it as "Not configured" (or whatever it is in english)

No need to restart the system again, the policy is read every time you install something and not pre-loaded at startup. Now you can manually install your monitor with the driver you prefer.

If it still doesnt work, we can try forcing the generic driver this way:

.- Right-click on the System icon on your desktop and select "Management"

.- "Devices management" from the left pane

.- Find the monitor in the right pane, right-click and select "Update software driver..." or....well, you know!

.- You should see a new small window with too big buttons: one is for automatic driver search and one is for manual installation; chose the manual way

.- Now you're given two options again, specifying a path or manually chosing the driver you want to install; go for the manual selection

.- Now you're given a list of compatible drivers, which should be very short because of the ticked option box that says something like "Show compatible hardware only"; untick it

.- Now you have a full list of manufacturers in the left list box and another long list of products in the right one; right?

.- In the left pane go to the top of the list and find "(Standard monitors)"; select it

.- In the right pane you now have a whole list of very generic monitor models; select the one that says "Generic Plug and Play monitor"; watch out, there's also a "Generic non Plug and Play monitor", select the right one

.- Now that you have selected the right monitor (Generic Plug and Play) click "Next" and it will install the driver

Obviously you can use this method the other way around, to force installation of the HP driver over the generic one.

• Upvote 2

Okay, gpedit did not help, and neither did simply uninstalling the device completely and letting it pick up the default driver on its own, and neither did manually setting the driver after only one reboot.

However, here is what DID work:

1) Uninstall the device

2) Set the group policy to disallow driver installation

3) REBOOT

4) Okay, it appears to work, but let's REBOOT again since it only worked for one boot last time

5) Now it seems to not work anymore, but device manager still claims there's no driver, so we undo the policy and manually choose the Generic PnP driver

6) Presto!

It appears the trick was to deny the OS a driver for not just one, but two reboots. It's interesting how far Win 7 will go to try to right itself from our mucking about - XP and earlier certainly wouldn't be so blasted persistent about it. Anyway, four reboots later, still working. We'll see how long this goes. You have my thanks! :thumbsup:

Zehryo.... I like your thinking ..... "Ok, this is something extreme, just to see if we can use a tank to kill a fly".

It just occured to me that Win7 64 bit also tries to use ONLY signed drivers and that to get around it you actually need to use a tank to kill a fly. (Figurelly speaking)

Thanks for jumping in and helping. I passes you :cookie4u: