DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

ATTENTION !!!: Be careful what you download!

Porscha

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

My computer has been attacked recently (even as cautious and secure as I am) and I've been going through hell! :oblivion:

There's also something called the Win 7 or 2012 virus that's been spreading and can infiltrate into your system and make things very bad for you. People have been getting this strong virus by just browsing certain sites such as CNN or similar.

You may get a fake pop-up claiming it's an official Windows program and it wants to clean your infected system. Those things are old news, of course we don't click that, but that's just the start of this new virus.

I've been doing more system restores, testing, reconfiguring, uninstalling, installing, OS booting, safe-moding, blue-screen preventing than I can count!!! :starwars:

Even after cleaning as much as I can and restoring things to normal, I get errors now when starting Windows and it says it's corrupt. That's the latest of it, though. Before all this was unnecessary trojans!!! Restoring can fail, but when it succeeds, I can perform normal as I am now. It's when I restart that problems arise again and I have to go through a long process just to get back! I tried a new method on one of the restore points and restarted just make to sure, and luckily there was no corruption. It was only once, but I'm knocking on wood and I'll try to keep things like this.

Here's what you should do, because I'm telling you, therefore it's an order: :noway:

PROGRAMS THAT MAY BE OF CULPRIT ! :

FPS Booster. Currently found on SkyrimNexus. It's a simple and lite .exe files that runs in the background when playing skyrim. It opens up a command prompt so it's visible. It recently had different versions. The thing here is, I didn't see a difference. Not that I could tell, anyways. The one thing I noticed is it failed to work as it said. It uses a method that Windows Media Player uses to boost up performance. It's a legit file called Multimedia Class Scheduler that puts more of the demanding programs to use more of the system's resources to perform better.

In the "Services" tab in the Task Manager the file is either Stopped or Running. The program, for me, didn't alter its state no matter if I was playing Skyrim or not. The file may have endorsements, may have positive comments...... but I'll just say it's not worth it so keep away! No offense to the uploader/creator if it's all good, but it simply didn't work.

Sage Thumbs. Currently found on SkyrimNexus. This one is interesting indeed! I do love the the program a lot and it's very useful for artists, image viewers and texture makers such as myself. I've been using this for over a week now. This handy tool lets you see preview the full image in a thumbnail of just about any image file type (.dds included) just by right-clicking (or left-clicking depending on your style! can't leave you out) on it. Saves you time if you don't need or want to open the file. It's a Russian-made program which I think was translated to English. Russian's are cool. Earlier today there was a bunch of viruses in the Russian language, though. Not sure if it's related or not but it's been causing me stress these viruses! Well?? I like the tool a lot and wish I didn't get rid of it, but stay away from it until further notice!! Okay? :uhuh:

:right: Have the best anti-phishing/spyware/malware/virus/etc. installed. Have your firewall installed! I find programs such as Avast! Internet Security, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials are... well, essential to have! Preferences vary among everyone, just make sure you have protection (I'm sure you all do [ i hope] ).

:right: Make a backup image of your running OS and its harddrive and/or create restore points frequently! For those that don't know, if you're on Windows Vista/7, just click the "Start" icon located on your task bar and type "create a restore point" in the search box!

:right: BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU DOWNLOAD! Be cautious of any exe's or "utilities" you find on modding sites! Make sure whatever you're downloading has a respectable amount of endorsements (over 9000) and plenty of comments from people who have more than enough posts to be considered not a fake account. Sites like Nexus. This is not a direct attack on Nexus (not that I care if it was!), but that place is popular and is riddled with trolls and often has bad files uploaded from time to time.

:right: I'll save everyone the moral chattering, not that I care if you do anyways, but if you pirate programs to help you in any way be it a tool, game or anti-whatever, be cautious of what you're downloading double, triple time.

I may or may not be available on this awesome forum soon if my PC decides to feel like being corrupt for no reason, and all the mods I've been working on to go with it, but I'm just letting you know now!

:2cents:

I'm sure Nexus doesn't like the advice, but the number one thing you can do to prevent these sorts of problems while surfing there is to use AdBlock Plus. Those ads are all coming from untrusted 3rd parties. From time to time, one is infected. It only takes one to ruin your day. The two utilities you list are probably fine, even if they do nothing. My guess is any infection associated with them came from the ads served on the pages while you were there.

As a frequent flyer of the Nexus, I can second that notion Arth. Didn't know you could block those though. I'll have to check that out; thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

Also, I'd like to suggest that you report those two mentioned files to the Nexus admin for possible virial review. They will scrutinize the contents of it and determine if it needs taking down.

Yep, if the virus payload is in the ads, they can't harm your computer if you block the ads. AdBlock Plus doesn't download the content if it's going to filter it. You just end up with a blank spot where it should go. Obviously it's not wise to rely only on that though. It's just one part of an over all security setup.

The Windows XXX Anti-Virus is a well known malware, as they have a new version every year.

As for running unknown exes, one would hope this was common sense, but alas...

Im not worried about much of anything. If anything bad does manage to get on my system, I vamp the whole thing and start over.

I'm currently dealing with a swarm of trojans and other such things now. I happened suddenly and I haven't downloaded anything recently. The virus/malwares out there are getting nasty, last year I was hit with the xp windows security one.. a fake security thing that's a nasty virus. I had this pc for 2 years and I'm leaning towards using my laptop more for just pure gaming and hanging out here and get rid of this pc.. which is a shame as it'll be 3 years old this year. Would be nice if I had the money cause I'd get a new one. Hope everything works out, you're not the only one dealing with the virus/malware attacks