DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Archived: General Questions

DarkRider

Ive never noticed it before but it actually makes sense. I'm not sure you could remove all changes to the adjoining cells in like TES5Edit without breaking navigation either, so I would say to just leave it, it's harmless. :ok:

Undoing the changes in TES5Edit and loading the plugin in the ck does return error messages (ominous, as always with the ck). Not finalising the navmeshes after modification is not an option either. We'll have to do with the modified adjacent cells... :)

• 2 months later...

I am posting here because I have run in to a roadblock in learning the CK and modding that I can't seem to figure out on my own.  I've watched tutorials, read through the CK tutorials, official and unofficial, and ended up here attempting to go step by step through the process using the tutorial here.  Frankly, nothing so far seems all that difficult until I get the section of adding a 2nd piece to the house.  Once I bring a 2nd piece of the house into the Render Window it is as if the two pieces (1 and 2) are clued together.  I can't work with aliening the 2nd piece in to the 1st.   Even attempting to size pieces or rotate, move around seems like an ordeal.  On my mouse, hold the wheel down is supposed to allow for panning the object in the Render Window, however, that doesn't work.  I am able to do this using the spacebar, but if there are two objects in the window everything pans, moves, together.

Basically, when working step by step through any tutorial, I seem to run in to a blockade at this step because once a 2nd section of house is dropped in, I don't seem able to work with it in the Render Window.

Any help, insights to what my problem is would be appreciated.

Hi AlliBeth, Ive heard of this issue before, especially in the beginning of the CK. Do you know what your Snap to Grid is set to? You can find this value in your preferences. Also, do you have gizmos toggled on or off? The gizmos are the tri colored widgets on each object in the render window, if you dont see them, it's off.

Are you holding any keys when you click on objects? Are the objects highlighted with a radius when they are all connected?

I have a rather silly question. I am extremely new to modding, and I am not really tech savvy.

I have gotten as far as placing the first chair in front of the fireplace in the tutorial. I can move the chair up and down, left and right, and forwards and backwards. How do I move the chair so it sits kiddy-corner to the fireplace??

I can rotate the entire farmhouse, move it every which way, but cannot rotate the chairs. If I click on the chair, and hold the click and the shift, the whole house moves. If I click on the chair and it is active, and use the shift and mouse, the whole house moves. Any ideas on what I should do??

I have a rather silly question. I am extremely new to modding, and I am not really tech savvy.

I have gotten as far as placing the first chair in front of the fireplace in the tutorial. I can move the chair up and down, left and right, and forwards and backwards. How do I move the chair so it sits kiddy-corner to the fireplace??

I can rotate the entire farmhouse, move it every which way, but cannot rotate the chairs. If I click on the chair, and hold the click and the shift, the whole house moves. If I click on the chair and it is active, and use the shift and mouse, the whole house moves. Any ideas on what I should do??

It is possible that when you are clicking on the chair you have somehow clicked on the house too or instead of the chair.  What you are doing should work for angling the chair, but from what it sounds you have actually clicked on the house rather than the chair.   If the Reference form for the chair is open, the chair will not move, so if you click again on it you will (instead) be clicking on the house as if the chair was not there (because the open Reference form keeps if from being edited in any way except via the form itself).  

If you have the reference form for the chair open, go to the 3D tab and on the lower right find the Z axis - click on that to angle your chair to the exact position you want it. 

Edited by mALX
  • Upvote 1

It is possible that when you are clicking on the chair you have somehow clicked on the house too or instead of the chair.  What you are doing should work for angling the chair, but from what it sounds you have actually clicked on the house rather than the chair.   If the Reference form for the chair is open, the chair will not move, so if you click again on it you will (instead) be clicking on the house as if the chair was not there (because the open Reference form keeps if from being edited in any way except via the form itself).  

If you have the reference form for the chair open, go to the 3D tab and on the lower right find the Z axis - click on that to angle your chair to the exact position you want it. 

Thank you!! I discovered what you said was true. I was able to move just the chair by making sure that the chair I added was highlighted in the cell view window, and right clicking and holding moved the chair. I jumped for joy. Thank you very much for the help!!

Edited by ashleyclark

Thank you!! I discovered what you said was true. I was able to move just the chair by making sure that the chair I added was highlighted in the cell view window, and right clicking and holding moved the chair. I jumped for joy. Thank you very much for the help!!

I'm glad it was a help!

• Upvote 1

*sneaks in* ... *reads posts* ... *gives mALX cookies for helping out* ... *sneaks out again*

seduce.gif

Thank you for the cookie!   :cookie:

And:

@  AshleyClark   -  I love what you've turned in so far,  Awesome job!

Edited by mALX

I am having a bit of a problem with the havoc. I have placed clutter, and did the havoc on each item, but I am still getting stuff all over the place although all of it is not doing it.  I have included some pictures taken in game. Any ideas on what I should do??

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363694902 In this one, the books keep falling over and the flute does not stay on the shelf.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363694877 Here, the leeks have a mind of there own, and the silverware is straight till I get in game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363694849 In this one, half of the stuff falls on the floor while in game, but not when I am doing it.

When I am in the CK everything looks right.

Edited by ashleyclark

I am having a bit of a problem with the havoc

Havoc can be unpredictable sometimes, you can check that the books are at a perfect 90 degree angle by double clicking them, if they are even slightly angled they'll fall over.

If you objects are clipped into the table or shelf when game havoc kicks in it can toss things about so you can try checking the culprit items to make sure they're on not IN the place they should rest.

Even if you tweak all those things, sometimes havoc will still mess things up a little, that's normal gameplay behavior for the engine. :D

Havoc can be unpredictable sometimes, you can check that the books are at a perfect 90 degree angle by double clicking them, if they are even slightly angled they'll fall over.

If you objects are clipped into the table or shelf when game havoc kicks in it can toss things about so you can try checking the culprit items to make sure they're on not IN the place they should rest.

Even if you tweak all those things, sometimes havoc will still mess things up a little, that's normal gameplay behavior for the engine. :D

Thank you for the info. Next time I get into it I will double check everything. When I first put the knives on the table, they sank in to the table anda I had a hard time getting them above the table without highlighting the table itself. I will double check and make sure things are just a hair above and that the books are at a 90 degree.

All I have left to do is the container and the navmesh. I still cannot get the mannequins to activate. Could it be they are on the wrong wall?? Something about being on a north wall??

Thank you for the info. Next time I get into it I will double check everything. When I first put the knives on the table, they sank in to the table anda I had a hard time getting them above the table without highlighting the table itself. I will double check and make sure things are just a hair above and that the books are at a 90 degree.

All I have left to do is the container and the navmesh. I still cannot get the mannequins to activate. Could it be they are on the wrong wall?? Something about being on a north wall??

I don't know about the mannequins, but the havoc issue I've had some experience with.  The havoc in Skyrim is much more ... active than I was used to dealing with in Oblivion.   

When you are placing something, like DarkRider mentioned - it can be clipping easily in Skyrim without it being noticeable in looking at it.  The way I found to counter that is to raise it up well off the surface when you are placing it, then press "F" to drop it.  Then you can scoot it to the position you want it to lie.   

Another thing you may find useful now (and ends up being crucial when you are building from the kits later) - is to double click on the item to open up the reference form for it and use it as an aid/guide for verifying if something is where it should be.  

If you drop one item on the table as I said above, then double click it to check the box for the  "Don't Havoc Settle" - then instead of closing it out, look at the Z axis on the lower left side.  This is the height from the zero point that the item you double clicked on is sitting.   Write that number down, and after that everything that rests on that particular surface should have the same matching number for their lower left Z axis.   That way you can ensure nothing is clipping into the surface of the table/bookshelf.  

On the dining table, double click every single item  (plates/food items/silverware/glasses/etc) and check the  "Don't Havoc Settle"  on every single item, not just the food.  That way they don't bounce off each other.  

Books are probably the hardest.  They can't touch each other at all, there has to be a space between them - click "Don't Havoc Settle," of course - and like DarkRider said, make sure they are at a 90 degree angle exactly so there is no clipping - the reference form will tell you if it is right:   on the right side of the reference form look at both the X and Y axis's - both should read 90.00 exactly for the book to be in the right position to go upright on the bookshelf.  

That reference form is awesome, if you know where something goes you can just type in the numerical reference and automatically send the item to the right spot on the Render window - very convenient in making buildings/setting up bookshelves/etc. 

Thanks again mALX !!

Like I told DarkRider, I will double check everything to make sure I checked the bock for Don't Havoc Settle. I did not know about the F key, I probably missed that. I really want to make a sorceress house for the final to be published, but I do not know how it will turn out. I read in the help section of the CK bout the mannequins, and then was reading some thread or post notes on a mod, that said something about mannequins will not activate when ........something about the north, facing north, or being on the north wall. Anyway, right now I will not worry about that until I get ready to publish it.

Finding the items I want to put in are just as hard as placing stuff just right. lol  Tomorrow when I get back into it I will write down the number(s) you mentioned and take notes on the x an y axis that you also mentioned. Boy do I have a lot to learn !!

That house you are planning sounds fascinating!  

I am also struggling with mannequins, so can't be much help to anyone on them.  I have heard they are very glitchy, moving around when the player enters, or head tracking the player,  disappearing, etc - really second guessing my plan to add a few of them to the mod, lol.   Not just because of the strain of getting them right, but those glitches  -  that is some real Twilight Zone stuff, I can see me getting scared to go back into the house, lol.  

Thank you mALX. I am trying but sometimes it is hard to get the game to do what I want it to do. For now I have given up on the mannequins, but what a great sorceress house that would be with the kind of mannequins you mentioned. lol It would fit right in. In the meantime I am still trying to get the havocs right. I almost got it, but not quite. I may be a little slow at this modding stuff, but I am sure glad I am learning it. I hope to at least get to the last lesson before my classes start again. Yet I am enjoying it all. Making a mod also gives insight into the game itself. I have been through a lot of house mods, and there are only 3 or 4 that come really close to what I look for in a house, but I sure got a lot of ideas from those houses. We will see how it comes out. 

Okay. I got some of the clutter to do right, like the stuff on this table.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365979435

I did the 90 degree thing and now the books are even worse and are all leaning in the same direction.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365979655 At least the flute stayed where it was.

The leeks are not as bad as they were, but they are still not right.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365979532

That's Skyrim :D

Can you take a screen of the books as they appear in the CK before havoc? You may be setting them too close together.

Everything you clutter with has an invisible outline called collision. It sticks out further than the edge of the object and when you put two collision pieces too close together such as book to book or leek to plate and add havoc the collision fields push them apart and move things. Leeks, have particularly awful collision I think what you have is about as good as they ever get; main reason I never use them.

With books, it's very easy to place them too close together because proper books shouldn't have spaces between, Skyrim books need spaces. Eventually you'll learn how to use resources and can use static book stacks for proper book spacing :D