DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Archived: General Questions

DarkRider

When I reported the bug in beta I'd considered that possibility, but closing the NavMesh tool at the same point and saving still erased nodes. I don't have the bug anymore, and I also opted in the 1.6 Beta so I don't think that's the cause. I can also save just a few nodes with the tool open, so no "soft finalize". I suspect you probably made a big enough mesh that it saved properly is all. :idea:

Leo what I would suggest is deleting your CK ini. The next time you load it up the CK will gen a new one. As Bethsoft has improved the CK and made fixes the ini is not properly overwrittn with each version and a lot of folks are persisting to have these beta bugs because of an dirty old ini file. That'd be a good next step :good:

When I reported the bug in beta I'd considered that possibility, but closing the NavMesh tool at the same point and saving still erased nodes. I don't have the bug anymore, and I also opted in the 1.6 Beta so I don't think that's the cause. I can also save just a few nodes with the tool open, so no "soft finalize". I suspect you probably made a big enough mesh that it saved properly is all. :idea:

Leo what I would suggest is deleting your CK ini. The next time you load it up the CK will gen a new one. As Bethsoft has improved the CK and made fixes the ini is not properly overwrittn with each version and a lot of folks are persisting to have these beta bugs because of an dirty old ini file. That'd be a good next step :good:

Thanks for the advice about deleting the CK.ini file. I admit since I didn't get my self interested enough to begin modding I mean begin a modding school I haven't thought about CK that much TBH. :smug:

• 2 weeks later...

In Lesson 3 you should have read the instruction not to delete as a matter of common practice to prevent conflicts.

Yep, and knew this from Oblivion, which is why I buried that log rather than nuking it. :)

Moving things below the landscape is okay for statics but not havocked items. If you do this you still need to set them as disabled, though "hidden" from the player the game still wastes resources on rendering them, so disable them. :good:

Oh, I didn't realize it would still waste resources, had always assumed the landscape itself acted like an occlusion plane. Framerate in my exterior cell hasn't been a problem, and I only buried a few objects, but I'll make a point of disabling them as well, in my next release. Thanks much for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on the first lesson and I'm having problems with the floor pelts. I put them on the floor and it's like the floor overlaps part of the pelt, making it shimmer. I tried raising the pelt up, but then it cuts into the legs of the furniture. I use F to make it fall to the floor surface, but again parts of the floor cover parts of the pelt. I also tried rotating the pelt, resizing the pelt, trying different pelts... It does this on the lower stone floor and the upper wooden floor. I don't have any problems with rugs, though, they lay on top of the floors with no issues. And I'm using the farm house parts that were suggested in the tutorial, so the floor should be normal. What can I do to fix this odd problem? It's the same way when I check the .esp in game.

Make sure Snap to Grid is turned off when placing rugs, furniture, and other clutter; you would have had it on to place your house kits. Turning it off gives you the ability to maneuver things within a much smaller margin. That way you can drop it to the floor and raise it just a little. :good:

I need help with making a well entrance/exit . What I made was an Tavern with a well inside it. at the bottom of the well is a door. What I want to do is make it so a player can click on the rope or something and go to the bottom of the well. The door here will be the main access to my dungeon. I also want to make it so the player can go back up to the tavern by clicking on the rope or something else like a lever maybe.. I did not find anything like a lift. If anyone can help please do..

Thanks for the help.. so far the tutorials have been awsome.

"Don't Havoc Setlle" just stops clutter type items from responding to game havoc; without it a basket of apples, for example, will explode when the cell is loaded. :shock:

To make a clutter item truly static requires editing the mesh in NifSkope and changing it's response type from clutter to static. However, a true static can't be picked up at all anymore.

Without editing the mesh, there isn't a way in the ck to prevent clutter from reacting when bumped or picked up on accident. Most you can do is keep things away from table/counter edges and leave some space between objects to reduce the likelihood. From there it's up to players to behave like civil people in interiors :D

• Upvote 2

Oh, darn. I was hoping there was a marker or something that you could just put over the items and mark them as being static. I have dishes and things falling off of shelves when the cell loads up. Apparently my character is slamming the door too hard when she comes in, lol. I'll try moving things further back and see if that helps.

How do you make something (like a food item on a table or a statue that you can pick up) static so that it doesn't fall off the table or you can't accidentally pick it up? I've tried clicking the "Don't Havok Settle" setting but that doesn't seem to do much.

I came here because I had exactly the same question haha, thanks for asking it for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on Lesson #2 and found myself stuck on placing books. As I was placing a book, I considered laying it on an angle against the drum. However, it seems Rotation X and Z do the same thing and rotate around the same axis. Am I missing something or is that normal?

On another note:

In response to placing items within tight tolerances, I found setting the position and rotation adjustment units to very small intervals (.25 or .5) is extremely useful. For instance, PeltFarmWall0# is designed to be placed on the walls in the Farm House ground floor by having multiple angles. It was very difficult to control a mouse with fine enough control to place it properly. By utilizing very small intervals you can drag it into a close proximity and then use the properties window to fine tune. This same process allowed me to place the mounted animal heads at the same angle as the wall they rest upon.

As an aside, I found with my limited experience, an interval of 2 will almost always get you right on point for placement. Very minor tweaking is rarely needed with the sub 1.0 intervals.

Edited by OvrTehBottm

In the last update of the CK the developers remapped the keys so the C key is what you hold now to rotate on the Y axis. Depending on how the object havoc is created/shaped an object may not respond as expected using the rotation keys, some of them you just have to play with to get positioned right. :yes:

Greetings all,

Great instruction and having fun with it. I'm thinking that asking a question about extra credit stuff may disqualify me for the point. But I'm okay with that because this is bugging me. :wallbash:

I've got everything except: "Use Snap to Grid to piece together a bar from static Counter pieces" Well, I have it, but not by using snap to grid. When I use that the counters are just a hair off from one another. Like if you walked up to the bar, one piece is a step forward, the next a step back. If I turn snap to grid off then I can get them to line up. But otherwise it is either a spot too far forward or backward. I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing but there is SO MUCH in the CK. I'll just ask. :D

What am I missing here? :help:

Thanks for your attention.

Edit: To include link of existing counter

Edited by Raist11

Start by turning snap to grid ON, and make sure in preferences your snap to grid is set to 16. Drop the first piece of the bar into the render window and move it a bit so that it "snaps" onto the grid. Don't worry about placing it in the scene yet. Drop the next piece in, move it until it snaps onto the grid and then move it into position next to the first piece. If done correctly the second piece to snap onto the first. You may need to raise or lower it to line up right using the Z key. Repeat for the additional pieces. Once the bar is complete, turn OFF snap to grid, hold ctrl and select all the pieces and move them as one object to position in your scene. :good:

If you have to rotate a piece for your setup before snapping to grid, you need to double click on it to open its ref edit box and make sure its rotation (right hand column) is on a, even angle (-180, -90, 0, 90 are most common). :ok:

Start by turning ON

I really wish I could do that to get back my inspiration, but TBH it isn't there and it has been for almost a month maybe longer. I don't know how long I can have the 3rd lesson active, but I guess my time is running out so you can drop me from class if there is no alternative left for me. :(