DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Strange sounds and other creepiness

_echo

Browsing the internet, I came across several mentions of "strange sounds" and "Earth Groaning". This peaked my interest given this is the year of 2012.

So here are my findings.

@ 0:30 of this video, note the loud sound.

-

@ ~1:58 of this video, also note the sound.

- Link

Then finally, this video. Its very faint, but it you listen carefully, you can hear it.

-

All these sounds seem to be the same thing. Ive read they could be anything from legitimate unknown sounds to rumored viral marketing attempt, to a flat out hoax of some kind. But for them to be a hoax, then how do you explain wide range of locations of the videos? And I can't imagine such loud, unknown sounds being allowed for marketing reasons as it could cause civil unrest of people trying to figure out whats going on.

Im interested to know what you all think of this and what you may have heard on the topic.

I'm reminded of a similar phenomenon called "The Hum" that's been reported for the past few decades in the UK: it sounds not dissimilar to a big diesel engine being left running and tends to occur overnight, but nobody's been able to find the source. It's apparently not one of the expected explanations such as a generator left running at e.g. some roadworks or anything like that and has baffled a lot of people. It seems to be more widely reported in remote areas though it's possible it's because of their relative quietness, but it's a bit weird. It's also described as often being louder indoors, which is a bit weird. It's been speculated that it may be coming from underground, which is possible as the entire country is criss-crossed with mine workings, in which case I'd like to think it has a natural cause, but it's a bit creepy nonetheless.

I don't know if the sound in those links is related but they're quite a bit more alarming. :o

I'm reminded of a similar phenomenon called "The Hum" that's been reported for the past few decades in the UK: it sounds not dissimilar to a big diesel engine being left running and tends to occur overnight, but nobody's been able to find the source. It's apparently not one of the expected explanations such as a generator left running at e.g. some roadworks or anything like that and has baffled a lot of people. It seems to be more widely reported in remote areas though it's possible it's because of their relative quietness, but it's a bit weird. It's also described as often being louder indoors, which is a bit weird. It's been speculated that it may be coming from underground, which is possible as the entire country is criss-crossed with mine workings, in which case I'd like to think it has a natural cause, but it's a bit creepy nonetheless.

I don't know if the sound in those links is related but they're quite a bit more alarming. :o

Heh, my area is no stranger to the The Hum.

_echo, those links are pretty creepy but they also made me think of

:lol:

Heh...he...he

I live in country australia....and I used to hear sounds a bit like that.....though low pitched.....normally at night rather then day though. It was a long lowish droning noise.

Very simple explanation, was caused by trains on the railway line that is about 2km from our place.....though it still really freaks people out when they hear it at night when visiting. :lol:

The noises heard at the start of the first vid sound a lot like the noise you get when you blow across the opening of a bottle. Obviously, they're quite a bit louder. At around 3:48 on the first vid, there's a slightly different sound. It sounds a lot like air being blown across the opening of a long cylinder (like the kind wrapping paper comes on). As for what could be causing these, I have no idea.