DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Graphic Artistry: General Questions

InsanitySorrow

Does anyone know if the "Has model space normal map" should be checked when adding texture sets to the Skyrim CK?  Also, if the texture you are adding doesn't have a specular map, do you uncheck the (by default checked) "Has specular map" option?

I have been changing them to reflect  (no specular map)  and checking the "has model space normal map"  -  not sure if I should be doing that or not.

Edited by mALX

Yes, you can uncheck Has Specular Map if there is no particular _s.dds specular map used.

Model Space Normals are for skin textures on actors only.

Okay, I'll go back in and fix what I did, thank you so much for that!   So far, I haven't restarted the mod yet - but every change I've made has held stable in the CK; which was not the case when I was using NifSkope to make the changes and uploading the whole new mesh.   This is actually pretty amazing, like having a rudimentary NifSkope tool built into the CK itself.   One of the (very few) features of the CK that is an improvement over the CS (imho).  

Thank you again for all your help in this!

Edited by mALX

• 9 months later...

Both Gimp and Paint.net couldn't open the chainmail texture from Lesson 2 today. What's up?

When the board takes you to Photobucket to download the image, click the magnifying glass icon to VIEW IMAGE before your RightClick>Save the image. It's path is messed up from photobucket's latest update, clicking view image opens the original image and then you can save it. Otherwise you get an incomplete image file.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I read thru the introduction, and was able to put a 'check-mark' next to the listed programs that would be needed... although one I wanted to make sure would serve as a suitable extractor - BAE; instead of FO3?  I began this process days ago during my preparations as I got ready to begin these lessons.  I noticed that FO3 looks very different than BAE does, although they essentially do the same thing (I believe)... Would I need to get my hands on FO3 still, or am I good with what I'm using?

BAE works fine. It was released only a few years ago, around the time Fallout 4 was released, and so that's why it wasn't mentioned. I've been using it exclusively for unpacking BSAs from most of the Bethesda games and I've had no issues with it.

Thank you... I wanted to make sure that the lack of visible pathways wouldn't be an issue, like it's FO3 counterpart shows.  I'm not sure if I'm too late to follow these lessons/take part in the homework/assignments given... but I'd planned on following them to the 'T' regardless. Now that I've got my program issues sorted out and fixed, I'm on a mission. lol