DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Graphic Artistry: General Questions

InsanitySorrow

GA_GQTitle.png

As you make your way through the Graphic Artistry classes you may have some questions about what's being presented that need answering. Post your questions here and the Scholar will answer as soon as possible to get you back on track. :smarty:

Have questions not related to the Graphic Artistry course? Scholar offline? Post a thread in the Study Hall for some peer to peer support! :gather:

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I'm stuck and don't know what to do.

Lesson 2 Part 4: Normal Map

Open up the SteelArmor.dds you just saved, copy it CTRL+C then in your Layer list add a new channel and paste in the texture. You should now have a greyscale version of the armor texture in a channel called Alpha 1. And then Copy the Alpha Channel make a new image and paste it in, we'll be using that later on.

I'm having to use both Paint.net and Gimp to do the lesson because neither one can do everything. In gimp I already have an Alpha Channel and ctrl+c doesn't do anything. In paint.net I have to add a new layer but don't know what to do with it. Needless to say when I get here :

Part Five: Environment Mask/Map

Remember what said about copying the Alpha channel and placing it in a new image?, Well we're going to use this now.

I have nothing to work with. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get through this for better than 6 hours last night. I dont' have PS and without explict directions for either Paint.net or Gimp I'm having to try to figure out what is the same as what you are using. And I am NOT very intuitive with graphics programs so ....

As a side note I used the _m file that was the default and have done the rest of the lesson and I can see it in game. Other than my chainmail is dark - not grey - and the links are pretty large its working.

I already have an alpha channel in Gimp. When I try adding a second one and naming it alpha1 as per the lessons its all weirded out and is blank. I can't paste the image to it.

I'll try workign with it later this afternoon and will post back here with the results after reading through the link you provided. :)

I worked through the second lesson and managed all that is required, even included the world-model, but I cannot reproduce the steps Alpha Channel and Environment Map with Gimp.

I made a normal map using the tutorial on the CS wiki but do not know how to make a m_.dds :shrug:

So I am stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you can do that :yes:

There is another model that controls that, usually has the suffix _GO. You'll need to edit that to make the texture display correctly.

I have been trying to fix this so I can see my new chainmail armor in preview and in the world but I must be screwing something up. Can you please provide a little more info on updating the \SteelCuirassGo.nif for the World model (both male and female). Everything I have tried has given me the chainmail on a character standin.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a new house and furniture. I'm using the mesh nobledoublebedo2.nif. I'm trying to keep the cloth and replace the wood. I followed out lesson two and this is the result.

Master Bed

I got the wood where I'm almost satisfied, but would really rather have the rough texture I have in this one

Upperclass with definetion

The problem is that in order to get the gloss to a manageable level for the wood, I've lost the defination of the wood and the cloth is still shiny. When I did the normal map I did the contrast at 120/90

I think I can live with the toned down wood texture but concerned about the glossy cloth and pillows.

This is hte texture that I was trying to accoplish My link

Edited by Arion

I have two questions:

1) What is the difference between saving a dds as DTX1, DTX3 and DTX5?

2) When I look at the folder of armor, there are always two pieces of each: for example cuirass_0.nif and cuirass_01.nif; gauntlets_0.nif and gauntlets_1.nif; etc. In NifSkope they look the same. What do these two different meshes mean?

Sorry if this already has been mentioned somewhere else, I searched the threads here but could not find answers.

1) What is the difference between saving a dds as DTX1, DTX3 and DTX5?

DXT1 saves with no Alpha channel, DXT3/DXT5 both save with Alpha channels, difference between the two is small, DXT3 saves sharper alpha channels and DXT5 saves smoother ones (Better for gradients)

2) When I look at the folder of armor, there are always two pieces of each: for example cuirass_0.nif and cuirass_01.nif; gauntlets_0.nif and gauntlets_1.nif; etc. In NifSkope they look the same. What do these two different meshes mean?

Those are for the two different body types, though I can't recall which one is for which body type atm.

• 1 month later...

IS.. Got a question on lesson 3 dealing with the numbered blocks. If we replace one of the layers with one of our own that contains the numbers already attached, what layer is it supposed to replace?

I think I have it figured out and submitted for class work.

Edited by Arion

I've been having a time trying to make sure I got the right parts textured on the boots. These two images are where I am at this point and want to know if they are even close. I'm getting pretty tired of guessing on my own at this point.

I've resolved this issue.

Edited by Arion

On the above post I knew I still needed to fix the side flaps on the back tops and was more concerned about what was showing. The following picture is what I'm submitting as my final picture. If there is something that you see wrong - please point it out as I have about lost it trying to find the parts of the boot. BTW, the light color on the left boot toe is from the light. Its the same color as the otehr when the lights hitting the same way.

Resolved - removed images for neatness

Edited by Arion

Having Problems with Gimp...everything i get into the game is way to shinny.

TESV_2012_05_31_17_01_14_941.png

Following the classes and saving the "_n" map and the "_m" as we have done in the past . but everything is always shinny.

Took the _m map to nearly all Black and still shiny as all get out. One thing I notice in Nifscope with this NIF. there is a "Cubemap gright shnny_e.dds. going to remove and see if it helps..cant hurt at this point...

Let me know if you want to see shots of settings of what ever....at a loss.

Normal Map

NormalMap.png

Enviro map

EnviroMap.png

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Camaro.... On your normal map settings box there is a preview box... click on that and it will open a preview window... There'll be like a white sheet of paper standingup straight. Grab it at the bottom and pull it up so that it is almost flat. Maybe 25 or 30 from flat. You should have a dark color texture and you should be able to see the bumps and ridges of your texture. Then hit okay. That is the easiest way to control your normal map

gallery_1192_100_40329.jpg

This is my environment map

gallery_1192_100_29905.jpg

Edited by Arion