DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: Final Exam

DarkRider

Hi Darkrider,

I am not sure when this class ends but I'm still working on my Final exam. University starts for me in a couple days so progress will become slower I'm sure but I just wanted to let you know it is still in the works! I now realize I may have been a bit too ambitious for this exam, it's taking a lot longer to finish than I thought! :unsure: I want so much to finish it though and so I will continue to work on it during this coming semester and hopefully finish it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Been struggling a bit lately to fit pieces together seamlessly. They always seem a bit off. I may have started working off the grid and then turned it back on at a later point, not 100% sure I did this though. Would this cause the problem?

Is there a way to fix this? I've been doing some research and the shortcut shift+Q or alt+Q may help but I haven't figured out how to use them properly.

EDIT: Hmm.. seems I figured out how to use the snap-to-grid reference which is the Shift+Q shortcut. It didn't fully fix the problem but perhaps I'm just trying to stick pieces together that aren't supposed to be.

Edited by Jamestown

Oh god haha that would be crazy to rearrange all the pieces, but it may be for the best as I had to work off grid at the end to make everything somewhat fit together. I know I definitely started on the grid but not at (0,0,0) coordinates, would that be enough reason to reset the first piece to 0,0,0 and rearrange everything from there?

Possibly. Sometimes once a piece is off grid, even if you move it and get it to snap on, it's still off by whatever points you had moved it while off grid. In those cases you'll have to delete the piece and add a new copy to get it right. It's worth a try to see if you can get it to play right :)

• 1 month later...

Release Option

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/23370-outsidehouse/

Add an Exterior House of your choosing to match your interior

Add Load Door and link to Matching Interior Load Door

Landscape around your house where needed

Landscape a path with broken road statics up to your house

Create an extra exterior feature (ie, stable, shed, garden etc) for the Exam house

Adjust exterior NavMesh pathing

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/23369-homeinside/

Add furniture, containers, pathing, statics (ie bookcase, tapestries), lighting, and generic clutter

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/23368-basement/

Add a basement for an additional 10pt bonus

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/23367-2012-11-07-00003/

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/23366-2012-11-07-00002/

Add some creative touches of your

Add furniture, containers, pathing, statics (ie bookcase, tapestries), lighting, and generic clutter

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/23365-2012-11-07-00001/

Create an extra exterior feature (ie, stable, shed, garden etc) for the Exam house

Edited by Kooroe

• 4 weeks later...

final_27.jpg

I chose a release version for one because I'm not fond of working with the farmhouse meshes, and I really wanted an outdoor house on the river next to Solitude. The navmesh was the hardest. I have been fiddling with the navmesh for two days and redid it 7 times before I realized what was happening to cause the bounding errors, as soon as I connected my custom navmesh to the vanilla, the CK renamed the vanilla causing the reference to be deleted, thus causing the errors. :wallbash: I finally cheated and moved the original cell's navmesh underground so it wasn't completely deleted. This is probably not the correct way, but it did remove the errors.

Screenshots may not be absolutely telling, I took over 100 screens during the process. I find screens help a lot when trying to make things look aesthetically pleasing. Small details may have been added between the time I took the screens and release.

Navmesh:

I found my navmesh is not as clean as it was the first time around, slowly declining in quality as I got more and more frustrated, but it still functions properly.

final_07-1.jpg

final_12-1.jpg

final_13-1.jpg

final_11-1.jpg

final_08-1.jpg

final_06-1.jpg

final_14-1.jpg

final_01-1.jpg

final_04.jpg

I didn't see the yellow triangle until after the screenshot. It should be fixed in the esp though.

final_06.jpg

I don't know why this pot kept coming back to hang outside the shack, but I finally got rid of it.

final_07.jpg

final_04-1.jpg

It was really hard to incorporate the required indoor cells into the design but I did it.

final_15.jpg

the ivy is not clipping, I intentionally put it this way so it looked like it was coming in through the slats of the shack. I realize that a shack is not an interior set, but I didn't really want an interior cell so I tried to make it look as weathered as possible, the shack set was the only one I was happy with.

ScreenShot468.jpg

ScreenShot467.jpg

final_16.jpg

Door outside

ScreenShot466.jpg

Landscaping:

Very hard not to go out without blocking the river itself so I went up.

final_17.jpg

ScreenShot464.jpg

final_18.jpg

final_19.jpg

final_20.jpg

final_21.jpg

final_22.jpg

final_23.jpg

final_24.jpg

final_25.jpg

final_26.jpg

final_31.jpg

final_32.jpg

The cobblestone path was also hard to incorporate since the house is on stilts, but I found a way to fulfill the requirements.

ScreenShot455.jpg

ScreenShot454.jpg

A marble dragon to protect from (or call) local dragons.

ScreenShot452.jpg

ScreenShot451.jpg

I tried to park my followers, but I forgot that my horse was set to follow too. Not sure if she can still make it up the steps though, I've redone the navmesh quite a few times since I took this screen.

ScreenShot453.jpg

ScreenShot456.jpg

bridge to the mainland:

ScreenShot462.jpg

ScreenShot463.jpg

ScreenShot461.jpg

ScreenShot460.jpg

ScreenShot457.jpg

outside storage.

ScreenShot450.jpg

No oysters or strawberries & cream, so clam meat had to do for my little romantic seating area.

ScreenShot472.jpg

ScreenShot448.jpg

Basement for extra credit:

I didn't want too much in the outside cell building wise because I wanted it to feel airy and be more lore specific to a Bosmer house. So I tried to make them as small as possible while still meeting the requirements. I'm pretty sure the Bosmer had some really weird looking trees, if they can move, but I'm limited to what I can recolor or is in the CK.

ScreenShot471.jpg

ScreenShot469.jpg

This room had a chopping block, where the bedroll is but for some reason when packing my files, I was asked for a script that I trailed down to the block. I'm not sure who wrote it or why the dependency was there, so I opted to remove it instead of not crediting someone I should.

ScreenShot470.jpg

map information:

final_09-1.jpg

ScreenShot474.jpg

http://tesalliance.o...reehouse-shack/

Edited by Mentha

Kooroe:

Overall it's okay, kind of bare bones, minimum effort, which is disappointing with the handle on the material you displayed in class. There are some clipping issues with your interior navmeshes running under wall supports and clipping statics. Your main house is also missing a location and a lighting scheme. More significantly, you didn't clearly follow the instructions for the final exam. Your exam is a sort of Frankenstein of the two exam requirement sets and as a result, doesn't clearly qualify as either. :shrug:

For example, the release option needed to be a cell out of the Half Moon area, you built in the assigned cell for the non release version; except you released it (which is not permitted for that location) and used parts of your choosing not the required pieces for a non-release exam. You also built your exam in the same dirty esp you used for homework so it quite conflicts with the Half-Moon Village mod my courses are all based on.

Because you added a basement (though threadbare) I will award you 5pts extra credit. Because you completed each requirement set partially I will award you 10pts. That brings your overall score to 95, which is not sufficient to pass the course, I'm afraid. I'm not sure the exam can be salvaged without starting over, so to pass the course I recommend completing the 3rd Credit Challenge to raise your overall score. :good:

As for your release, I would recommend taking it down as it's going to conflict with any student work in my courses and cause problems for those users. If you'd like to keep it up, you might include on your file page a note saying that students in the courses here will encounter conflicts with your mod and the coursework. Also, it will conflict with the Half-Moon Village mod this course is based on. Gives your users a heads up. :ok:

Phosphor:

In the release option for the exam, it clearly outlines :down:

You may not expand this exam into a town, dungeon, settlement, etc. House mods only please

That rule is primarily in place to prevent long stretching exams that can't be completed, which was not an issue with your exam. So I am deducting 5pts for this breach of guidelines from your overall score. While not functional as a player home, the house does meet the general requirements. The dungeon extension is cleanly executed so while it doesn't help your score it didn't hurt it either. I am awarding 20 pts, which means you have passed the course. You will also receive the additional medal for the release. I look forward to seeing a future, complete, version of your mod in the future. Well done! :dance:

Mentha:

Overall a very creative and well executed final exam. Your NavMesh looks good except for the pathing you moved below the landscape, that's going to cause pathing problems. Some messages on CK load up are expected with the way the CK handles NavMesh, don't stress about trying to eliminate those sort of messages cropping up by touching the vanilla mesh. :no:

There were some missing textures and meshes, for example the the ivy and planters were missing textures. Some of the custom plants in the exterior seemed to be missing meshes. When using resources, it's best to get in the practice of setting up your file structure like this:

Meshes\YourName\YourModName\clutter or textures\YourName\YourModName\architecture It's much easier to make sure you grab everything when packing it up. Also prevents your mod from potentially conflicting with other mods and makes it easier for users to install/uninstall manually.

Your navmesh error only cost you a few points in your overall score, I'd clean that up in an update. You received a total of 25pts, and have passed the course, well done! :dance:

I look forward to seeing what you create next! :)

• 1 month later...

Tafiir Hofkah

Final Exam Notes

There is a NavMesh bounds missing in cell 41 -26 which is the cell I used. I spent 7 hours on Bethesda and other forums looking into the reason for this, and tried their fixs but to no avail. Got to the point where it was not fun anymore so if someone can tell me what i have done worng i would be greatful.

Header for srceens

<a class=bbc_url" href="http://www.flickr.co...03/8441810643/" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">8441810643_daa81e2410.jpg

01Tafiir Hofkah header by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

House

8442897312_52d72cd586.jpg

Tafiir Hofkah 01 by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

Outside NavMesh

8442897882_c35a08fa6d.jpg

outsidenavmesh withB by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

House NavMesh

8441808279_f0e5ea6337.jpg

navmeshhouse by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

Basement Navmesh

8441810329_495932ba68.jpg

basement navmesh by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

House in CK view

8442899954_43414af687.jpg

house by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

Basement in CK view

8441806491_269f2be5c3.jpg

basement by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

Outside in CK view

8442899430_8e028cd8a1.jpg

houseq by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

In Game

8441806951_57a75b44bd.jpg

Tafiir Hofkah 07 by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

In Game

8442918266_9137c4af98.jpg

Tafiir Hofkah 13 by Pagansmudge, on Flickr

had a lot of stress uploading this file, added to the stress the NavMesh has given me over the last day, i am not a happy bunny.

Edited by lonewolfe10

Downloaded, will report back with feedback and your grade as soon as possible, please be patient as with the site still in transition mode, my time is stretched thin. :good:

Final Exam Notes

There is a NavMesh bounds missing in cell 41 -26 which is the cell I used. I spent 7 hours on Bethesda and other forums looking into the reason for this, and tried their fixs but to no avail. Got to the point where it was not fun anymore so if someone can tell me what i have done worng i would be greatful.

This error is said to pop up when you delete portions of the vanilla NavMesh. It's harmless by itself, but deleted NavMesh records have been linked to stability issues with the game. It's best to avoid deletion whenever possible. The issue can be corrected by cleaning the NavMesh changes out of that cell using a utility like TESVEdit, which we do not currently cover in the scope of this course, and reworking the NavMesh without deleting the original mesh. For this assignment, it won't impact your grade. :ok:

• 2 weeks later...

We're still muddling through the update but getting close thanks :D

Overall not a bad mod, quite good for a first release, included some really creative touches. Some things such as idle markers are beyond the scope of this class though. There were some minor flaws you might want to consider tweaking for an update, but nothing too major. :ok:

Here are my notes for your exam.

• Mod is dependent on the Update.esm: You don’t want to do this with future mods as issues can arise when Bethsoft updates that Update.esm (-1)

From the intro:

:smarty: Smarty Says: What about the Update.esm? You should never check the box next to the Update.esm master file as it will make your mod dependent on that file. When Bethsoft overwrites the Update.esm, is can create problems for mods that depend on it. The only time you should load the Update.esm as well is if you are knowingly modding something the Update.esm added or changed.
  • No Naming Conventions for modded materials (ie aaLW or the like): This makes it hard for people to identify what your mod adds when viewing things in the CK; it is a good habit to get into early on. ThiefHouse is just too vague, and could easily be used by someone else so your mod could be overwritten by another; it’s just not an effective way to ID your stuff; make it unique but simple. (-1)
  • Some lights are over lit in the interior, radius is too broad for the close proximity of the walls cause some hot spots, like the cooking fire light; scaling it back a bit can reduce that hard glare, click on the light, hold S, and drag your mouse to scale it down to better fit its location.
  • Exterior NavMesh runs under the woven fences, needs to go around them. (-3)

I didn't see a basement addition, so your total overall exam score is 15pts, which brings you to an overall score for the course of 105pts! :woot: That means you have graduated the CK Basics course! Congratulations, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. :dance:

cool thanks. i will work on what i messed up on. basement addition? there is one not sure what you mean. Should really tell you where it is. There is a secret room behind the wardrobe, in the study with the wolf heads in it. You should have seen Nocturnal if not, you have not seen the whole place..

but thank you. have a great day

Edited by lonewolfe10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay OFish sorry for the delayed reply. Overall this was a very good final exam. Couple notes for you. The slatted ceilings that you used in the top floor I would place something on the other side of the slats like a floor plane or wood panels, even a black plane. Looking through them into the grey cell void is a little weird. Also in the exterior, you have a LL somewhere around the fountain, I think it's one of the bug lists but I'm not certain, it's got a bad spawn in it and when fast traveling to the location, if that bad spawn occurs the game CTDs on fast travel. Lastly, the fountain resource is missing a texture, need to repack your exam. None of that is covered in the scope of the exam though so it didn't cost you any points. :good:

Congratulations on your release and your achievement, I look forward to seeing your next modding endeavor come to life :dance:

• 4 weeks later...