DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Graphic Artistry: Introduction

InsanitySorrow

Title_zpsxhfd8fwv.jpg

Introduction:

Welcome to Graphic Artistry!

I'm sure when you've been looking at Skyrim's assets or browsing the likes of TESA and see people talking about textures, I bet you were wondering "What the hell they were talking about?", I was wondering the exact same thing when I started. I'm also betting you have many ideas about things you'd like to change or new stuff you'd like to make for your game, but you're unsure how to do that right?, Well don't worry, the Graphic Artistry are here to help you do just that...... yes you can get up and dance now.

The Graphic Artistry classes will explain what textures are and what they do, but we'll also go a few steps further and explain how we go about editing existing textures and then finally move onto creating new textures for our own models.

Exciting times ahead for all, better make sure you have enough tea/coffee and cookies, you're going to need them :cookie:

:smarty: Smarty Says: <-- This is my buddy Smarty, he knows a ton of modding information for the Elder scrolls and he'll be following us through the Classes and lending a hand when needed. Smarty loves to pop up in some of the strangest places, but he always has useful tips and reminders that'll keep us doing the right thing. Keep an eye out and if you see him, share your cookies, I think he's earned it.

What you need:

Nifskope:

The magical NIF tool we all use to view and even sometimes edit Skyrim's NIFs (Game's Meshes/Models)

Graphics Application:

We'll be needing an application of some type to edit our textures. We'll need something quite powerful that supports the texture format used by game and also things like Layers.

Anything like these will do perfectly:

Photoshop

GIMP (Free)

Paint.Net (Free)

Direct Draw Surface Plugin (DDS)

Skyrim's textures make use of the DDS format, so we'll need a plugin that supports though since some of the applications mentioned above do not have native support.

Photoshop Nvidia Plugin

GIMP DDS Plugin, GIMP Normal Map Plugin

BSA Archive Utility

For us to be able to edit any of the games textures we'll need to extract the textures from the Archives (BSA files). To do this we'll make use of FO3 Archive by ScripterRon.

What does this mean?:

DDS - Direct Draw Surface, it's the file format all of Skyrim's textures use.

NIF - Net Immerse File, it's the file format all Skyrim's models use.

Texture/Normal Map/Glow Map - These are all different texture files Skyrim uses, more information can be found in the Reference Sheet.

Getting Started:

The first few steps we need to take are to make sure we have a 2D application like one of the ones mentioned above and we have all our tools downloaded. Be sure to follow the install instructions included with the plugin downloads and extract FO3 Archive to some place you'll find easily, I place mine inside a modding folder.

After that we can take a look at extracting some textures.

Extracting Textures:

Let's run through a trial texture extraction to get ourselves used to working with FO3 Archive.

1) First things first, run FO3 Archive, when it loads up you'll be greeted with a screen like this:

1_zpsgant7tvu.jpg

2) Take a look at the top of the screen, you'll see things like File and Action. These are where all our options are hidden. So what we need to do is open an archive file, so click File>Open

A new screen will pop up asking you to locate a BSA file to open, Navigate to your Skyrim Installation folder, go into the Data folder and select the Skyrim - Textures.bsa.

2_zpswsioh4fk.jpg

This will take a little time to open.

3) Now you'll see something like this:

3_zpsfphqapg3.jpg

Use the little + signs you see next to the folder names to expand the tree, navigate down to Weapons and then to the Glass weapons. Click the folder name to select it like so:

4_zpsylpa4dcg.jpg

4) Now to extract them, with our folder selected with need to use the top menu again, select Action>Extract Selected Files and then navigate to the place you want them. I usually put them on my desktop.

And that's it, we've extracted our first set of textures. We can repeat this for other textures and any other BSA Archive files we need stuff from.

What's Next?:

If you have any questions about what has been explained so far, please post them here in the General Questions thread.

Read through all that?, Well then what are you waiting for, get yourself over to Class #1, I'll see you there :book:

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After much deliberation I've decided my question is more relevant here; however, I will say getting an answer is not imperative as I do have Gimp and Paint.net I can use.

I've tried without much success to get the old version 5.18 Nvidia dds plugin to work with my Paint Shop Pro 9. I see many people have been successful, however, I'm not one of them. When attempting to open a dds file I receive errors saying it couldn't run the plugin because the associated dll's are missing. The list I got this from and it's included download do not include the dll's nor does it mention them, but the install directions do. :doh:

Does anyone know which ones they are and/or where I can get them?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...