DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Graphic Artistry: Lesson #2

InsanitySorrow

Woot! Fantastic! I'm so glad when I guess right :D

Thank you!

Edit:

I don't want to flood the thread with posts every time I have a new question :bagged:

My Alpha Channel 1 does not look anywhere near yours; it's definitely not grayscale :/

I am presented with choices in making a new channel and obviously what I'm doing is incorrect, but it is the 'default' as in I did not change them.

The choices are:

Color indicates: (Default is selected as Masked areas)

Masked Areas

Selected Areas

Color: (Default is selected as Red)

Opacity: (Default is selected as 50%)

My alpha channel ends up being completely white or solid black, help?

(It should be painfully obvious - I've never done this before :rofl: )

I think I forgot to mention this, right-click your top layer in the layer channels tab, select flatten image. Select all and copy it, then undo your flatten layers so you have everything back. You should now be able to paste that into the alpha channel.

I think that's why you're getting those options instead of a proper paste.

My image is already flattened? I've no layers left, I think.. if I remember correctly, it wouldn't let me save without it combining things.

I tried the select all and copy, but I still end up with a solid black alpha channel.

I think what I'm missing is, you're saying "paste" and I've no right click options on the channels tab other than the size of the pics (small, medium, lg, etc). Ctrl V results in nothing; adding a new channel from the little menu button on the right gives me the solid black alpha.

:cookie4u:

Thank you so much for your continued support to me; if I can provide screenshots or a better description of my inability to grasp this... please let me know :D

Adobe White Rabbit Version 12

Even if I have the channel tab selected (it's showing on top) Ctrl V and the paste options result in a new layer on the layers tab; nothing in the channel tab. My edit options for paste include the standard paste and paste special; paste in place, paste into and paste outside.

I got it to work the way you describe it once; I'm trying to think what was the difference then...

I think it was before I flattened my image to save, but I only had the chainmail/fur areas still under selection, so it gave me an alpha channel for just that. So, if that could be the case, is there a way to un-do saved flatten layers? No, I didn't think so. I think I might have to start anew. :)

Make sure you have the Alpha layer selected when pasting, it should paste in.

What you're using is a pre-release version of what I have (CS5), so it should work the same.

If you've flattened your layers and the undo option doesn't go back far enough to undo it then yep you'll have to start again. Adobe haven't included a tool to separate the layers, though I wish they would :lol:

• Upvote 1

:clap:

That's it! It's because my layers are all flattened. I suddenly became smarter, thank you :)

Which means, yep, I'll have to start anew, but that's OK... It won't take me as long to get back to this point and a bit beyond, repetition ingrains good working skills! :rofl: (laugh or cry - you see my choice ;) )

Thank you so much! :trophy:

• 3 weeks later...

Assignment

Steel Armor

FinalChainmailEdit.jpg

Normal Mapping

I used Tamira's method. It was too shiny for my preference.

NormalMap.jpg

Alpha Channel

I had the same issue as Tamira when creating the alpha channel. My approach was a little different, but ended up with the same results.

AlphaChannel.jpg

Environment Map

EMask.jpg

Folder Structure

FolderStructure.jpg

Nif Texture Paths

NIFTexturePaths.jpg

Armor in the Creation Kit

ArmourInCK.jpg

HomeWork

Boots and Gauntlets

BootsGauntletsTexture.jpg

Extra Credit

Boots and Gauntlets as a new iten in the CK

BootsGlovesInCK.jpg

New Steel Armor Outfit In-Game

SteelArmourInGame.jpg

Texture pattern issue with boots

I didn't like the gaps appearing in the chainmail on the boots. To remedy this I modified the boot pattern.

BootTextureModification.jpg

This is what the original texture looked liked in NifSkope

BootTextureIssue.jpg

With modified pattern.

BootTextureModificationInNIF.jpg

Edited by Carah

• 4 weeks later...

GA Class 2 Using GIMP.

Classwork

Texture with final Chain edit

chainisbetter.png

Normal map. not sure if its me or GIMP. But I can do it 2 ways .to make it look like the class PIc i have to remove the alpha channel that comes with the DDS file in GIMP.

Normal map (with removed Alpha channel)

normal.png

Normal Map (this is how i did it for everything) Retained the original Alpha channel.

normalwalpha.png

Both look good in the game . One less step leaving the Alpha channel.

Pasted alpha channel

alpha1channel2.png

Environment Map

alpha1channel.png

Folder Structure

Folderstructure.png

Nif Texture path

NIFtexturepath.png

New Item in the CK

newitemCK.png

In-Game Screenshot

TESV_2012_05_23_17_43_37_462.png

Assignment

The boots....this is a pic of how it looked when extracted from the BSA

originalboot.png

they looked bad in Nifscope and the game. So i used the Alpha channel from the Original normal map (for the outline). and this is what I came up with.

Bootfixed.png

They then looked good in Nifscope, CK and the game.

menuboots.png

Gauntlets

menuGauntlents.png

Extra Credit

bootsCK.png

GauntlentsCK.png

All together on the ground in the Game. Took me a bit to get this (I know now not covered ) but Fun to figure out none the less) :) (at first I thought I was doing something wrong because the menu was wrong and the model on the ground was wrong.)

Groundall3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I thought I'd finished the retexture and went to try it in game but when I looked at the armor on the floor of the external cell and in my inventory it still had fur and when I equipped the armor in game (although the fur was now mail) my players hands and head disappeared!! I guess I'll start again from scratch and see if I can make it work.

Please let me know how to avoid any of the above again if you can please =P

Just an edit, I want to start from scratch but I just want to make sure that I've completely deleted everything. I've deleted the meshes and textures from the custom directories and deleted the plugin file, should that have completely removed all of the "work"?

Edited by Dhoone

Thought I'd have waited at least a day before I tried again but was to excited to hold it off so I've completed the lesson before you could even reply to my previous post =P.

Here I should have everything required for full marks!! If not please let me know so I can get onto it first thing =P

Pictures:

Other Items:

New Items In Creation Kit:

In Game Screen Captures:

That shooooould be everything, hope I've made it easy for you to mark!! Thanks in advance for taking time out of you day for this!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok IS, this has gone pretty well and the CK edits showed the changes in the little windows but when I drag and drop into the render window, it still has fur...?? :shrug:

EDIT: When I went in game, the folded armor showed the fur, but like the others mentioned, it converted upon activating it.

Edited by donnato