DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Make Skyrim Nif's non-movable static

DsoS

I needed to make a book an Activator so I could place a script on it. So, I had to play with the NIF to make it motionless and this is what I found.

>NiNode >bhkCollisionObject >bhkRigidBodyT

change the >Motion System to: MO_SYS_BOX_STABILIZED

change the >Quality Type to: MO_QUAL_INVALID

The book was then motionless, although it still wanted to 'open' when kicked. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that did not work either.

But what does work is in the bhkRigidBody is to change the:

Mass = 0

Max Linear Velocity = 0

Max Angular Velocity = 0

I also made the Motion system = MO_SYS_FIXED

and the Quality Type = MO_QUAL_FIXED.

I can activate my object and it does not move. Even if I blast it with an explosion.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I've been searching the web literally for hours, until I finally found this thread. It's exactly about the very problem I have. It seems, there's even already a solution. But:

I'm a bloody beginner with the Creation Kit and I finally decided to make my own player house. I started yesterday and have all the walls and ceilings so far in place. I began to place some clutter. And what I don't like about some stuff (the movable statics) is that they mess up your room, which you want tidy and clean. :yes:

You guys talked about nifscope and that you'd have to change MASS and MaxLinearVelocity and so on...

But if I start at 0 knowledge, what exactly do I have to do? OK, downloading NifScope seems to be a good start, right? :smug:

What comes next? Can you explain to a bloody n00b what to do exactly step by step, where to find what I need, etc.? Which files to change. I only need one example and I'm sure I'll get it really fast. I have a little experience with some editors, but as already mentioned, have no idea about NifScope. I hope one of you guys can help me with that, so my new home will be tidy and clean, even if you should FUS RO DAH something accidentally. :lol:

Now I'm off for my cozy bed. :sleep: And tomorrow I'll have a look into NifScope. Maybe I can already find out something on my own. Just down't wanna mess up anything. :ouch:

Thank you for reading. Nighty night!

• Upvote 1

You only need to use nifskope if your going to make the mesh activatiable and do something.

All you need to do is unpack the mesh you want and create a new 'static' object and attach the mesh you extracted to it. Sounds easy, right? :lmao:

Google search for 'fo3 bsa browser'. That is what you will use to extract the mesh from the BSA files inside your games 'data' folder.

Use it to load the 'Skyrim - Meshes.bsa' file.

You can find the path to the meshes you want in the CK. Look at the object and you will find the path to the mesh.

With the mesh in the correct folder, in the CK, create a new >Static object and in the mesh, attach the mesh you just extracted.

It 'should' remain motionless and un-activatable in the game now.

Thank you very much for the instructions so far, Willie! I'm going to test this out, maybe tomorrow. Yesterday I realy didn't feel too good and today was only a little better. Maybe I'm going to put the default static furniture first anyway, and then put some (fake) "lights" ( like candles of all kinds) first, before I place the small non-moveable clutter. Then I will check it and hope I can do it right. :D I'm going to check back then and tell if it worked. (I hope it will. I'm taking this little mascot with me. :wicket: I like it. heh, Isn't he from the Ewoks? I loved those cuddly little bears as a child... erm... ok, back to topic... :unsure: )

I already have a BSA archive utility. I was trying to change some textures in paint.NET for altering saddles. That should do. =) And for the nifscope thing, I have an idea how it works thanks to your description, so let's see, if it's that easy. :book: Thanks again!

Oh, and one thing... you said, I needed nifscope to make the meshes do something, like an activation. Well I have an idea for a certain room, and I would need to make an item, that is not having the activation by default, have one. So, in principal this should work with nifscope, too? Good to know. But all the scripting will be the last thing to be done, right after the (real) lighting. A little time will pass before I deal with that. My house isn't too small. :D

OK, I'll try that nifscope thing soon, and let you know. Have fun and a great time until then.

Cheers :toast:

Edited by TheWinterhawk

Alright, so far I managed to change the .nif file and put it in the right place, and it works quite well. Thank you for yor help, again! My object doesn't move now, after I have changed mass and velocity stuff. But you can still pick up the item, and I don't want this to happen. I tried to find the data, that is responsible for this behavior, but by now had no success. Does anybody know, how to prevent the item from being picked up?

I'll keep on searching... :question:

EDIT: aaahhh, now I got it. I misunderstood something. I have to say, that English is not my mother tongue, so it wasn't quite clear right away, what "create a new static object" really meant. I thought, I had to make the (moveable) iron pot into another (static) iron pot, that's not moving and cannot be picked up. But now I understand, that you actually take any static object and "mask" it with the look of a moveable one. Alright, big thankies!

I've just made a huge progress in modding my player home! :jellytime:

Edited by TheWinterhawk

Well, that did not work either.

But what does work is in the bhkRigidBody is to change the:

Mass = 0

Max Linear Velocity = 0

Max Angular Velocity = 0

I also made the Motion system = MO_SYS_FIXED

and the Quality Type = MO_QUAL_FIXED.

I can activate my object and it does not move. Even if I blast it with an explosion.

Thank you so much for this information, it works perfectly! It was an immense help and time saver! :trophy:

Sorry for the double post, but I’ve come up with a question I think is relevant to this topic.

What I would like my item to do in game:

An open book that is static and can be activated to read, but can not be taken.

So far my ‘successes’ have included:

A book which looks and operates the way I’d like, but can be taken even though the “can’t be taken†is selected.

A book that looks the way I want and can’t be taken, but when activated does nothing.

I am using tgrbusinessledger.nif as my base and its accompanying activator has an associated script, but it only performs a blind function of changing the ledger figures according to the Numbers Game quests of the Thieves Guild.

In order to do what I want I think I need to attach a script or something to my activator, but with everything I’ve tried I’m more confused now than ever. :lmao:

What am I missing? Help? :cookie4u:

You could try the "RemoveItem" function on the book itself, to keep it out of the players inventory and Reset - ObjectReference to place it back to the editor location. (or so the CK wiki states!)

As far as helping with the actual script, I can't help you on that, as I'm struggling with simple enable/disable scripts :(

Someone else might have a better option than this, but I think something along the lines as above might help.

I hope I didn't misread your post 4 times XD (I've done it before)

:lmao: I tried to be as clear as I could, but those are words of frustration speaking. However, you read my meaning correctly.

Thank you for the links! :cookie4u:

:doh: Looks like I'll have to head over to Papyrus 101, because I can't script worth a squat either. :rofl: