DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Building a computer: I need some serious help

lonewolf_kai

I am finally tired of putting up with my old computer giving me fits, so I'm about to build one myself (1st time for me) and I need some serious opinions/advice/help.

Here's the list I've drawn up:

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115095

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131792

harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226247

ram: 16mb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130750

power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817371049

2 x DVD burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

windows 7 for the OS (which I'm not happy about. I'd rather have Vista.)

Price tag: $1300 (was $1700!)

As you can see, the price tag is a bit heavy. Any recommendations on reducing that would be most welcomed. Also am I missing anything? I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something. Further, I'm a little behind on the hardware or simply inexperienced altogether, like for example, what to look for in the motherboards and cases. Usually when I buy a computer, I just buy one out of the box in a local Best Buy.

What about this paste I need to get? I don't know much about that. Is there any other little things like that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT1: Changed the list to what's been suggested, thanks everyone!

EDIT2: New updates.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Wow Kai, that`s some great looking gear. I think there`s a couple oportunities to shave the budget but I`m no expert so I`ll let the more experienced folks ring in here. Also...the RAM link shows your PSU instead. i`m totally sold on Asus gear so I really like your MoBo choice.

• Upvote 1

You're going to get many different opinions. The main thing to keep in mind is you don't need ALL the high end components. You need to determine what exactly you do on your computer and build with that in mind.

That said, no casual gamer needs a six-core processor. Unless you're more hardcore than we thought. Save yourself the money, a quad-core is just fine.

Same with the motherboard. ASUS is a good choice, but that's way over-powered. Suggest: This one

Good price on the video card, nothing wrong with that.

Why do you feel you need a regular HD and an SSD? Personally, I wouldn't get a 2TB HD. I'd get (and have) 2 or 3 1TB HD's. Quite enough storage space and separate HD's allow for better back-up management.

1100W PSU??! What are you running, a server farm? XD My 650w is quite powerful enough for my modest setup. No need to go over 750w, really.

Awesome case.

The link for the RAM goes to the PSU page. My advice here is to go to the ASUS homepage and look up the model of the MBo you decide on and look for RAM compatibility lists. I kick myself for buying random RAM that turns out isn't on my MBo's list and suffer memory blue screens at least once a week. I'd suggest at least 6G of RAM.

And when you buy windows 7, use the 64bit for better performance.

Edited by Hanaisse
  • Upvote 1

You're going to get many different opinions. The main thing to keep in mind is you don't need ALL the high end components. You need to determine what exactly you do on your computer and build with that in mind.

That said, no casual gamer needs a six-core processor. Unless you're more hardcore than we thought. Save yourself the money, a quad-core is just fine.

Same with the motherboard. ASUS is a good choice, but that's way over-powered. Suggest: This one

Very much this. MoBo and CPU are not as important a consideration for a gaming PC, so get something powerful, but not overkill if you are looking to save a buck. My combination is This MoBo (I'm an MSI guy, myself, they've done me quite well) with an Intel Core i5-2500K with excellent results. Mid-range can go a long way here.

Good price on the video card, nothing wrong with that.

Hey! That's my card! XD

As said, good choice there, and EVGA has my seal of approval for their GPU products.

Why do you feel you need a regular HD and an SSD? Personally, I wouldn't get a 2TB HD. I'd get (and have) 2 or 3 1TB HD's. Quite enough storage space and separate HD's allow for better back-up management.

Yup, more is better as far as hard drives are concerned. Keep your backup data on one and unplug it when you don't need it and you will never lose that data. Ever (unless you destroy the drive).

1100W PSU??! What are you running, a server farm? XD My 650w is quite powerful enough for my modest setup. No need to go over 750w, really.

Depends on how long you want the PSU to last, really. The more wattage, the longer the lifespan is the general rule. Still, you only need 500W for the GTX 560 Ti, so 750W is a good benchmark to aim for.

The link for the RAM goes to the PSU page. My advice here is to go to the ASUS homepage and look up the model of the MBo you decide on and look for RAM compatibility lists. I kick myself for buying random RAM that turns out isn't on my MBo's list and suffer memory blue screens at least once a week. I'd suggest at least 6G of RAM.

ALWAYS check that your RAM selection is compatible with your board. It will save you tons of headaches down the road, and I am highly grateful that I did this building my own rig (changed my RAM selection to a package endorsed for my board and the memory base was rock-solid as a result).

And when you buy windows 7, use the 64bit for better performance.

Why would you ever buy 32bit anymore? It's time has come, time to move on.

Edited by ThomasKaira
  • Upvote 1

I'm no expert on hardware either, but here's my thoughts:

Processor - I agree with the others that 6 core isn't required. At the top end, the performance gain/cost added ratio is quite terrible, so a more affordable 4 core might be a better idea.

SSD - Mine is 90GB... I wish I had bought a bigger one. Once you have the OS, Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind and all your saves and modding files, you'll have filled most of it up already. I'd say go for at least 120 GB.

Blue-Ray burner - I asked myself... how often do I watch DVD's on my computer? How often do I burn DVD's? After realising the answer was something like "once a year", I got the cheapest bargain basement model I could find.

I tend do check out the system builder marathons at Tom's Hardware ($600, $1200, $2400(!)) to get a good starting point for my desired bang/buck level.

For us gamers, their articles on Best Gaming CPU For The Money and Best Graphics Card For The Money are incredibly helpful.

• Upvote 1

okay, updated the power supply link to a 750 watt'er. I'm honestly a little confused by some of the stats I saw when selecting this one, such as the 12V rail thing (by the looks of it, more than a single rail is better???)

I came down to this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339002

Also went with Hanaisse's suggestion on MoBo. And btw, I'm a hardcore gamer with casual game time and a poor wallet. :lol:

I actually have a quad core now @2.67 ghz, it was one of the first ones that came out, so it doesn't have the i# with it. I guess that's why I thought I'd need a six core. :question: The one thing that bothers me a little about the selected MoBo is that there's no 3.0 USB ports, but I guess that's not a big deal(?).

I wanted an SSD for games like Oblivion where every little bit of efficiency is needed, and an SSD will help with some of that.

I also went with a 2tb HD because of the cost. I originally was going for a 1tb, but then saw the 2tb one for nearly the same price. I don't know anything about making separate partitions, so I'll take your word on having more than a single HD is better and will have to look into that.

Thanks for all the great advice guys! :bowdown:

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Looked at the Motherboards a little more closely and found a couple deals:

Both are open box'ed status, but as long as it has everything it's supposed to why not?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131755R

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131666R

Edited by lonewolf_kai

I love ASUS boards and the Rampage line is certainly excellent. I'd give serious thought to going with an 1155 based board over a 1366 though. The 1366 socket is dead now, so there won't be any new processors coming out for it, whereas the 1155 may still have some longevity and the 2500k is by far the best bang for buck you'll get in a processor right now. I always try to grab a mobo that will give me the option of just replacing the CPU/Video when I next want to upgrade. That said it's been quite a few builds since I was able to upgrade my CPU without replacing the mobo, so maybe it's a moot point. If you are thinking 1155 the P8Z68 looks like a really good contender at a great price.

For the PSU I think it's worth dropping a few extra bucks. My opinion may be skewed due to the bad power in my area, but around a 3rd of the computers that come through my shop are there to have the failed cheapy OEM PSU replaced. Because of that I always spend a little extra and stick to Antec or Corsair who make reliably excellent PSUs. Something like this one would certainly do the job.

WT

• Upvote 1

I love ASUS boards and the Rampage line is certainly excellent. I'd give serious thought to going with an 1155 based board over a 1366 though. The 1366 socket is dead now, so there won't be any new processors coming out for it, whereas the 1155 may still have some longevity and the 2500k is by far the best bang for buck you'll get in a processor right now. I always try to grab a mobo that will give me the option of just replacing the CPU/Video when I next want to upgrade. That said it's been quite a few builds since I was able to upgrade my CPU without replacing the mobo, so maybe it's a moot point. If you are thinking 1155 the P8Z68 looks like a really good contender at a great price.

For the PSU I think it's worth dropping a few extra bucks. My opinion may be skewed due to the bad power in my area, but around a 3rd of the computers that come through my shop are there to have the failed cheapy OEM PSU replaced. Because of that I always spend a little extra and stick to Antec or Corsair who make reliably excellent PSUs. Something like this one would certainly do the job.

WT

Wouldn't that be a downgrade going to a 1155 though?

What about going for a 2011 socket type then?

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Hi Lonewolf_kai

Let me chime in, too, with some agreements and some modest variations in opinion. I've been building my own PC's for more than 20 years and have several dozen behind me. And I've retained several at various stages of OS and speed, so that I could still play those older games that I enjoyed so much (even if new tech comes out that isn't backwards compatible).

* I like two hard disks myself for better organization. One for the OS and one for data. But a single one is valid, too, when you're talking about a terabyte! That was an entire server farm's total at one point when I was a sysadmin. :rolleyes:

* yes, do confirm at the mobo manufactuer's website that the RAM you are choosing is completely compatible with the motherboard!

* I missed where anyone answered why you need the silver paste. It ensures a good thermal contact between your CPU and the socket to keep your CPU from overheating. An overheated CPU is dead, dead, dead. If you don't find a reliable URL for how to apply it, PM me and I'll help point you to one.

* I don't see where you have a CPU cooler in your list. If the CPU you settle on has one from the manufacturer, that is probably ok unless you ever get tempted to overclock your motherboard. I've never needed to do it myself. Just find a worthy recipient of the underpowered system and give it to a relative. But that'll be years away with your specs -- I usually get at least 3 years out my custom systems.

* Don't forget a brand-name keyboard and mouse. You'll spend a lot of time using them -- get good ones, but probably not the expensive "gamer-style" versions. Overkill.

* Don't forget a brand-name surge protector (not the $20 cheapie that looks like a gray, oversized candy bar). Many areas have crappy power with fluctuations and minor surges that you might not notice -- protect it.

* I like Asus and MSI motherboards about equally well.

* I've been building AMD systems, but Intel does a good job, too. And I agree with others that a quad-core will do everything you need. Even today, few enough games effectively use more than one core anyway. But that could change as more and more multi-core systems enter the market and the game vendors write to them for more performance.

* The Windows 7 64-bit is currently a good choice for gamers. If you don't download and install all kinds of ersatz software, it is reliable and consistent. Resist the temptation to try out those "interesting" bits of software. And run anti-virus and anti-spam software, too.

* Last, the 750watt PS is about right for the load you are putting on it and still has some headroom in case you later decide to double-up on video cards or add a second HD or an SSD.

You are embarking on an adventure by building your own PC. It gives you self-confidence that if something goes wrong later or you want to improve some component, you'll be able to do so. You'll be better at troubleshooting those little oddities that are present in almost all computers -- whether from the factory or the kitchen table. Last tip, while building it and before opening up your components to look at them, be sure to put on an anti-static wrist-strap (get it from Newegg). You're putting a bunch of money into the parts -- several are very static sensitive. Have a great time building it. :thumbup:

Old Grizz

• Upvote 1

Going to the 1155 socket is not a downgrade.....the socket type is just what the CPUs are built for, just because a CPU uses a bigger socket with more contacts, doesn't means it is better.

Basically, the best way to do it is pick a CPU, the second gen i7s are really powerful. Check its socket and find a good motherboard for it. In regards to the one you linked, the i7's on the 1155 socket have exactly the same speed, for around the same price.

Anyone that builds computers will tell you, you cant 'future proof' your computer. Just because you go for the bigger socket type, that doesn't mean that in 4 years when you want to upgrade your CPU, that socket type is still being used. Personally, when I buy a computer I get the best power/price for me at that time regardless of socket type, if in the future I want to upgrade my CPU, I'll just get a new motherboard at the same time. That way I save money now, and will get anything new that was developed in the meantime on the new motherboard.

No matter what you choose in parts, in a few months those will end up being outclassed....as is the market of computer parts.

EDIT: Also, things like your power supply and case have extremely long lifecycles, put quality money in them, that way in 5 years time of something when you need to build another computer you already have a quality power supply and case.

• Upvote 1

That's some good points and some good food for thought DM. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: After looking at those 1155 i7's, I see all of them have integrated HD Graphics..... Is that supposed to be a replacement for video cards?

heh, no.

That just means that the CPUs support the on-board motherboard graphics.....basically, if you are building an office PC you wouldn't need a video card as you could just run it off the motherboard.

If you want to play games, you need a proper video card.

• Upvote 1

heh, no.

That just means that the CPUs support the on-board motherboard graphics.....basically, if you are building an office PC you wouldn't need a video card as you could just run it off the motherboard.

If you want to play games, you need a proper video card.

ugh, I thought so. I hate integrated stuff.

Ok...

So off the bat I would STRONGLY advise against the LGA1366 socket boards. That socket is a dead socket and 1155 is taking its place. This will drastically change your line up, as you will need to look for dual-channel ram instead of tripple. Also it will mean a different CPU, which I suggest a Sandy Bridge based if sticking with Intel.

Also a note about the ram you picked. Its dual channel. The motherboard you picked requires tripple channel. So you had a MAJOR issue off the bat.

As for hard drive, I would suggest reusing any old hard drives you may have for storage, as platter based drives are expensive. 1TB drives should NOT be over $100. Though if you have nothing else to use, then go for it. Bigger drives are the better deal.

SSD look good. I would advise to make sure ONLY system files get installd to the SSD. That 60GB will disappear quickly. Also, you will need to alter your system's page file as it will devote an equal amount of drive space to page file based on your ram. I have 16GB of ram and my SSD had a whopping 16GB of space devoted to basically nothing.

Graphics card is good. More then Id pay, but if you have the money to burn, then go for it. If you want to save a few bucks, go for the GTX460.

• Upvote 1

Okay, after much mulling over the advice given, I've come down to two lists here.

The first has a 2011 socket mobo/cpu set, but looks like to me it doesn't unlock the cpu's turbo boost(?), it'll also have 16MB of Ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131805

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115229

total cost will be $1600.

The second set has a 1155 socket/mobo/cpu set, but with turbo boost unlocked, also will have 12MB of Ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131792

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115071

total cost will be $1400.

Why 16 in one and12 in the other? Gotta go with what the mobo manufacture states and what is available, thus the difference. The other thing that's a bit minor is the 1155 cpu has integrated graphics, which is more of an annoyance since I can just disable it when I install the vid card. Also, $200 cheaper isn't nothing to sneeze at. :D

EDIT: Thanks Echo!! :bowdown:

EDIT2: Also change the OP to reflect the cheaper choice.

EDIT3: Also changed the video card.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Not really understanding your reasoning for the 12GB ram vs 16GB.

And you do realize the 1155 socket board is a micro ATX? You want just plane ATX.

Like this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

LOL, nope. I didn't realize that or really know what that means.

Nevermind what I meant on the ram. I think I got confused with it.

EDIT: OMG, never mind the ghz question... :slap: my forehead

Edited by lonewolf_kai