DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Building a computer: I need some serious help

lonewolf_kai

Seems im late to the party. In case you didnt order yet.

Case Corsair 400R saves you a 100$ and have everything you might need

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z like her big sister, in a smaller package, and most importantly cheap

Intel Core i5-2550K No Hyper Threading but by the time you need eight real cores, you'll also need a new computer, so why pay more today.

With the money saved, you can get a decent 128gb SSD and get an even faster pc, I think im gonna get me one of these

Corsair Performance Pro

Take pics when you build it and please share with us.

EDIT: you placed your order while i was typing, oh well...

• Upvote 1

Hello Meo! Yeah, I had already placed the order about 45 minutes before your post. Thanks for the input anyways. Be sure to stick around for the second half of this thread though: putting it all together. I'll need some help with that too! :unsure:

Hi Red! That case was a bit expensive, wasn't it. I wanted a full tower though and check out all those fans. I have a mid tower now and there's like no room in it whatsoever. This time around, I wanted a lot of room for the guts, expandablility, air flow, etc.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Going with a single drive for the time being? Then yeah, I would divide it up, 100 GB for O/S, and the rest for everything else. That way, if you have to reinstall the O/S, you don't lose everything else on the drive.

Yeah, I wanted to get an SSD really bad, but funding ran dry. I think that's a great idea to separate the OS, Red. Thanks! After doing some reading on Don's thread about his build and partition mix up, which I'm probably going to mess mine up too (lol), I'm assuming that the Windows7 install will help me make the two separate partitions? Do I need to do anything before the OS install for that?

Oh also, a strange question but, do I need a corded keyboard initially or will the wireless work during the first bootup and installation?

EDIT: After reading and watching docs on how to build one, one of them stated you can either plug in your case fans into the motherboard itself or straight into the powersupply, but there wasn't much in the way of which is the prefered method. Any info about that would be helpful :D

Edited by lonewolf_kai

In case you need some help..... Here's some links and videos to help

Prebuild

http://media.highspeedbackbone.net/wmv/BYO-PC-Tutorial.wmv

http://media.highspeedbackbone.net/wmv/BYO-PC-tutorial2.wmv

These are a little dated but are very helpful. The 3rd and last video is on the following post. Couldn't put all three in one post. :)

Edited by Arion
  • Upvote 1

Alright, got the computer up and running (Yeah!) and have installed nearly all my drivers. I've just installed my Video Card drivers, but I've got a problem with it. I have 16GB of Ram (4 dimms), but the video card is only seeing 4 gb of it. Why isn't the rest showing up? I checked Computer properities and it shows 16GB.

edit: oh, and I've also got the windows 7, 64 bit premium edition before you ask ;)

EDIT2: Under the System Information on the Video Card, is says: Total Available Graphics Memory: 4095 MB. Shouldn't that be reading 16GB?

Edited by lonewolf_kai