DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

24GB Ram and Corsair PSU Install &&& CPU Install

DsoS

Got the G-Skill 24GB ram and Corsair Power supply in today and installed them...

img0060mi.th.jpg img0062bt.th.jpg img0063wy.th.jpg img0068br.th.jpg img0069jx.th.jpg img0070zm.th.jpg img0073mu.th.jpg img0074kw.th.jpg img0075jj.th.jpg img0076fb.th.jpg img0077j.th.jpg img0078ew.th.jpg img0079rf.th.jpg img0080tc.th.jpg img0081th.th.jpg img0083pe.th.jpg img0084nu.th.jpg img0085ja.th.jpg img0087hz.th.jpg img0088aq.th.jpg img0090eat.th.jpg img0092ab.th.jpg

RAM Amount Installed:

24gbraminstalled.th.jpg

Windows Rating Experience:

windowsexperiencerating.th.jpg

Edit:

Changed the Topic Title to include the CPU Install

Edited by DsoS
  • Upvote 1

@Don

Thank you :pints:

@Echo,

Edit: ---> My main system.

I had 6GB of RAM and often (everyday) run low to only 15-20% left.

I decided to get the 24GB kit since it was only $150. and free shipping. I'll be set for the next 4+ years

Just need to replace all the fans and go liquid cooled and a new CPU and I'll be set (hopefully) and happy XD

Edited by DsoS

the 1366 is still kicking, I'll upgrade the cpu in a month or two and I'll be set.

I was going to build a whole new computer, but with what I have it should be fine for the next year or two.

Once I do build a new computer, this computer will become a storage server XD

---

I still have to get into the BIOS and change the Clock speeds and a few other settings, and jump the speed up to 18xxMHz and hopefully I can get that 7.6 Score to 7.9 XD

Holy schmokes! 24GB of ram!?! And I thought my 16GB was overkill. That's quite awesome though. And 1200 watts? That's some major power!

I like how the corsair PS's are modular with their cords. Wish I had gotten one of those instead of the one I got just for that reason alone.

BTW, did you point your PS fan up or down?

Holy schmokes! 24GB of ram!?! And I thought my 16GB was overkill. That's quite awesome though. And 1200 watts? That's some major power!

I like how the corsair PS's are modular with their cords. Wish I had gotten one of those instead of the one I got just for that reason alone.

BTW, did you point your PS fan up or down?

I love the full modular power supplies. The one that this one replaced was fully modular.

I pointed the fan down out of the case, I have fan slots on the bottom of the case where it can draw in air from the outside.

I love the full modular power supplies. The one that this one replaced was fully modular.

I pointed the fan down out of the case, I have fan slots on the bottom of the case where it can draw in air from the outside.

Yeah, that's where I put mine too. I couldn't see the logic of pulling air from inside the case where it's already hotter than outside. My PS also sits on the bottom, which is why I was asking. :thumbup:

Yeah, that's where I put mine too. I couldn't see the logic of pulling air from inside the case where it's already hotter than outside. My PS also sits on the bottom, which is why I was asking. :thumbup:

I had the old one with the fan pulling air out of the case and I didn't notice any temperature difference for the PSU. It did seem to help with the other temps though, but only by 1C or so.

But yeah I would recommend having the fan pull air from outside the case.

------------------

Well, I decided to go on and order a new Processor for this computer.

Details are here:

Intel Core i7-980 3.33GHz 1366 Six-Core Processor

I think that is all for the hardware.

My next step is to replace all fans, if I can find them all, I have some 240mm fans that are not so easy to find.

Then I'll work on a custom Liquid Cooling system for this computer and OC this beast to 4.0Ghz or better

Edited by DsoS

I agree, that's pretty pricey for just the CPU. I almost went with that myself at one time, but then realized that probably later in the year, that price will come down some. Edit: plus as Echo said, including others, that socket is going out (which was the bigger reason I chose not to get it myself).

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Okay, so I got the CPU in on Monday and got it installed. Ran in to a slight issue but got it worked out today ... read about that in this thread...

inteli7980lga1366cpu01.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu02.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu03.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu04.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu05.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu06.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu07.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu08.th.jpg inteli7980lga1366cpu09.th.jpg

I didn't use the stock cooler, but man that cooler is a beast for a stock Intel XD

Windows Experience Index Score After the PSU, RAM and CPU

weiinteli798024gbram.jpg

3D Mark Scores:

Before

After

EDIT:

The "After" test listed above was only using 4 cores of the 6 cores. The link below provides the newest test with all 6-cores.

The Real After

Edited by DsoS