DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Stormcloak or Imperial?

Hanaisse

A curious poll on the Civil war  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which side, if any, did you choose in the Civil war?

• Stormcloak rebels
    • Imperials
    • Neither
    • Both

Just out of curiosity, which side did you choose in the Civil war?

Are you a rebellious Stormcloak at heart or a staunch Imperial? Did you decide to not choose sides? Have you played multiple characters just to play both sides?

Please feel free to explain your decision.

Myself, I've played two characters so far and both are strong Stormcloak supporters. I truly believe the Nords should run their own country. And I won't support anyone who almost had me executed for no good reason. :) Oh, and because I'm in love with Ulfric too.

(You can choose more than one option)

(Please be respectful of other people's opinions)

If we are going to say 'Stormcloak Rebel', then the others should be called 'Imperial Dogs'. :lol: Lackys to the Thalmore (said with disgust). I believe that is how the stormcloaks portray them.

When the Imperials walked me to the chopping block, when my name was not on the list, it was instant hate. If they could kill anyone who just happened to be walking through that pass at that time, then I was not going to accept their rule. I admit, the Nords are not much better against the forsworn, but it just galled me that they tried to kill 'ME'!

• Upvote 1

I voted "neither," and although I've played the main quest through to completion I've found little interest in the civil war. In saying that though, I do expect at some point to give in to curiosity and play both sides. I'd have to see what the "other side" is like... LOL Stormcloaks first though, because like WillieSea said, my name wasn't on the list and it didn't make any difference to the Imperial Dogs.

Edit: I forgot the reference to who was doing the killing XD

Though I've played one character on each side, I'll go with my first run. Stormcloak all the way. Legate Rikke deserved the knife she got in her gullet later for so casually condemning me to the block. The Empire is weak and must be purged and even though Ulfric is a racist pig, he still allowed a lizard to fight for the cause.

• Upvote 1

Guess I'm the lone guy out here.... I've played it out on the Imperial side because in the process of running after the dragon attacked the Imperial guy with the list is the first person I saw and he had an arrow over his head.. so I followed him..... turns out he was a pretty decent guy, thanked me for helping him escape the carnage, said I was forgiven in his eyes and that I ought to go to Solitude and join the imperials. I waited a long time before choosing what side and it was basically the only thing left to do in quests. It sealed the deal whenever I got near stormcloaks I was attacked on sight, which wasn't much different than being attacked by Thalmor, but at least I was never attacked in any of the imperial camps.

My last 3 play throughs I've refused to choose a side because the whole civil war thing is bogus anyway. Ulfric is an idiot whose fanning the flames for his own personal glory and the imperials arent' any better.

Edited by Arion

Ok well after hearing these explainations I`m leaning toward the stormcloaks...but where do the "Blades" figure in...?

There are no more Blades.

Well, there is, two of them, but they only care about the dragons, not interested in Skyrim politics. :)

I went Stormcloak. Bugged me a little at first, as I saw myself as an Imperial patriot in Oblivion. I happily joined the Blades and had Martin's back. However it became obvious right off that things had changed, and I've always been a fan of the underdog. It's hard not to want to side with rebels against any power that rules with such a heavy hand, and when they decided to execute me for no reason at all the choice was made. Down with the Empire! :starwars:

That said I'll certainly play a character through as an Imperial at some point, just to see how it plays out.

WT

• Upvote 1

eh, i play a character that's been around since the oblivion invasion... personally, i feel the "empire" died with martin. my first play through , i didn't do the civil war until about level 25, in which i joined the stormcloaks... it left a bad taste in my mouth after certain documents and paradigms rose to the surface. since then, i've been akin to legate rikke...

I dislike Ulfric, but the Stormcloaks are the faction most of my characters play. I can not support the Empire as it is in Skyrim.

I hope that Legate Rikke will survive the Official history, She does not deserve the end She recieves in the end of the Stormcloak questline. I would like to have an option to let her live out her life in Skyrim.

I dislike Ulfric, but the Stormcloaks are the faction most of my characters play. I can not support the Empire as it is in Skyrim.

I hope that Legate Rikke will survive the Official history, She does not deserve the end She recieves in the end of the Stormcloak questline. I would like to have an option to let her live out her life in Skyrim.

eh, when you think about it... Rikke dies a good death. fighting for what she believes. sure, she may not agree with the W/G concordon't, but she swore an oath of loyalty in her beliefs, and her empire. the same can be said of Galmar Stonefist. (who's voice actor i really like. Grandpa Max Tennyson ftw!)

Legate Rikke deserved the knife she got in her gullet later for so casually condemning me to the block.

That wasn't Rikke, she wasn't at Helgen, that was some nameless "Imperial Captain" (whom you kill if you follow Ralof).

I went Imperial because while there's some real issues there (yeah that execution was not on...) I find the Stormcloaks shortsighted and unpleasant. Ulfric is essentially a Hitler figure- a charismatic ruler with a military background riding a wave of nationalism for his own personal power. The Stormcloak rebellion helps no one but the Thalmor.

Contrary to popular Stormcloak belief, the Empire is not under the control, or even allied to the Aldmeri Dominion, it represents mankinds only chance of being strong enough to defeat the elves. If The entire Empire could only just survive the Great War (and while the concordat is unpalatable for all, it did allow them to fight another day). The Empire needs to build its strength before the Dominion can (biology is on their side since elves reproduce slower), and the Civil War drains time, resources and blood.

If you follow Hadvar and listen to Alvor the blacksmith he will point out that before the Markarth Incident, which effectively started the rebellion (the Jarl of Markarth is, frankly, a moron...) the ban on Talos worship was barely enforced- everyone still worshipped Talos, they just did so quietly in their homes to avoid problems.

The White Gold Concordat is unpleasant for everyone in the Empire (Talos is an Imperial hero as much as a Nordic one, he founded the Empire after all), but it was necessary to give mankind a fighting chance.

Overall, I believe:

- Ulfric is false, and the rebellion is all for him

- The Empire is humanity's last, best hope

- The Stormcloaks are shortsighted and don't appreciate the threat posed by the real enemy, the Aldmeri Dominion.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't chosen a side yet because I haven't talked to the Yarl in Windhelm yet. For that matter, I still have the Dragon Stone. Decided to do the guild quests first before the civil war and the main quest. Right now, chances are going with the Stormcloaks because I see the Imperials as invaders. Ulfric just better be polite to my character because she hates rudeness. In Oblivion, Gersilla let the Gray Fox sit in that house in Bruma for two weeks game time because he pist her off.

Edited by malachidelacot

I believe Nords should govern their own country, but I'd like to give Ulfrich a good swift kick in the arse. My character, being Breton with some Nord ancestry was torn after reading the book "The Bear of Markarth"

Edited by Carah
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I chose the Imperial side but without a great deal of enthusiasm or conviction: we didn't exactly get off to a good start what with them hassling me with their executioner and the Empire seems to have gone the usual way of empires, becoming somewhat corrupt, bureaucratic and impotent; but then you have the Stormcloaks, which seem to be the ugly face of nationalism, so I'm not desperately keen on them either. But where you have "not desperately keen" on either of the above, the Thalmor are a hateful threat and the Imperials represent the best chance of dealing with the menace they pose, and may even return to some of their former glory in the process, so I sided with them.

The representation of the men on the ground seemed realistic enough in that they generally seemed an okay bunch for the most part so in both cases, whatever disagreements I had was with their leadership: and I found Ulfric Stormcloak to be most disagreeable.

I've been playing as Nords on all of my characters and in all my games I've sided with the Stormcloaks. Not only was it the fact that they tried to execute me that lead me too choose the Stormcloaks and the fact that they signed away the worship of a GOD in the w/g but the fact that the first person I see in Whiterun was a imperial supporter and ****** bag, then later on I saw his family bullying an old lady about the war. I agree that the Stormcloaks are narrowminded but I believe that Skyrim should be run by Nords and that they need someone with greater morals (me of course) around when all is said and done to lead them in the righteous direction. Also the fact that the Empire was willing to execute everyone they found made them seem too desperate, as if they are already too weak to fight. I believe that if the empire with all its legions is not strong enough to defeat a rebel faction that is only supported less than half of its nation that the Empire is supposed to protect that they should forfeit Skyrim to the "True Nords" and sign a treaty of their own to allow each power to become stronger in their own rights.

• 1 month later...

I am waiting for a mod to come out that will allow the peace treaty to be carried on after the dragon threat is dealt with...... Neither side really has much to offer..... either way you go, Skyrim is going to get the short end of the stick..... at least until the Thalmor curse has been excised from the empire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First time I played I was super excited to join the Stormcloaks. I'm a Nord at heart, love the Nord style and felt like they were making a stand against The Man or something respectable like that; meanwhile the Imperials seemed less tempting to side with for many reasons (almost execute you right off the bat, want to be up in everyone else's business, totally into boring politics, to me not so interesting style or personalities and so on and so forth).

After some time on the Stormcloak side though, I just couldn't go on. Had to load an old save and undo it all. It was one of the most powerful things I've ever felt in a game and one reason I love Skyrim so much. Seriously, I felt so bad about what I/we were doing and the way we were doing it, all the full on racism and what a completely unlikable jerk Ulfric was, that I couldn't justify going on or enjoy myself. Crazy stuff. Even considered and tried to go Stormcloak on subsequent plays but always backed out, just couldn't do it haha. I'll help professional thieves and murderers, but apparently I can't even be a pretend racist.

When I get my new PC I'll start a new character and I've promised myself to go Stormcloak and see it through. Hopefully something happens towards the end which makes me feel I can live with or even feel good about what I've helped the Stormcloaks accomplish. That would require Ulfric stepping up bigtime or his death, though - and unfortunately, from what I seem to recall reading a vague spoiler about, I don't think I'll be getting what I want. ...No joke, even just thinking about it I'm considering breaking my own promise and ditch him, haha. That's how badly I want to keep a fictional character off a fictional throne in a game. Ulfric, man. What a guy.

• 3 months later...

Hello all. This is my first post in this forum.

I'm a stormcloak soldier all the way. Why? I believe Ulfric's cause is right, that the claims of his corruption and greed are false, and that the Empire is dying, and has no chance of defeating the Thalmor the way it is now. I can tell from Ulfric's dialogue with Galmar that he truly believes in his cause and cares for his people. I believe that an independent Skyrim can still work with the Empire in the face of incoming danger, and Skyrim does not have to be under the Empire's boot to work with eachother.

Other groups in TES have done this with much more blood and grudges much more deep between them and have worked together before, so there's no reason to believe the stormcloaks and imperials can't in the event of an independent Skyrim. I believe that those who would sacrifice freedoms for safety don't deserve to be free, and the Empire does not care about its provinces. History has shown this with Hammerfell, and Morrowind during the Oblivion Crisis.

They did nothing to help Valenwood from the Thalmor, and they if they have to will sacrifice every province for their own selfish needs. I don't blame them for this, as this is the nature of Empires, but this is exactly why Skyrim must be free of it. It is no longer of any use to Skyrim besides the convenient shield it provides between Skyrim and the Aldmeri Dominion. The Empire just doesn't seem like it is up to fight. They seem broken, but the stormcloaks are not. For that reason, and the fact that the Empire allows the injustice of the Thalmor to happen out of fear, I side with the Stormcloaks.

I gave the Imperials a chance before. I ended up deleting my first character because they left me with a bad taste in my mouth after I finished the quest and learned more about the situation. Never again.

Edited by ColonelKillaBee
  • Upvote 1