DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Companion Face Discolour Bug

CrisG9

I got hit by the face discolour bug and dont know how to fix it...i changed my companion Lydia to a blond and changed her hair..with the NPC editor but then her face now is shiney and discoloured...

and I dont know how to fix it.

I saw a post a while ago that said to remove the texture that is created when you change a face for an NPC with the CK but this was with the NPC Editor....

i tried removing the texture but the face stayed shiny

here is a pic..

companionfacebug.jpg

the rest of her body texture is fine.

anyone know how to fix this?

I am not at my own PC now. But you could try this:

mark the NPC in the CK Object list, then press Strg+F4. Then something like "export face textures" will appear, say yes and have a look at her again. Worked for me with custom made NPC.

• Upvote 1

This is actually something Bethesda fixed along the way, perhaps with the last CK update. It didn't used to work before, and was something they had us test for during the CK beta. Oddly, it never showed up in changelogs, but thankfully it does work. No more grey-face NPCs!

Do we have to move the textures manually or will the CK put them where they are supposed to be? thanks for this inf a lot.

UPDATE: i searched and there are two new texture files in the Texture Folder of the data folder so i think it did work. i will test shortly. If this does actually work a lot of people will be happy as i have found others trying to solve the same problem.

Edited by CrisG9

That worked..i also found that i had a mod active that causes the same problem,

Female Face Skin v 1_8_rev1-6554-1-8

i recomend not using it until it is fixed, i will contact the author to discuss things..

Lydia is back to her old self..

Female Face Skin v 1_8_rev1-6554-1-8

lovelylydia.jpg

lovelylydia30.jpg

Edited by CrisG9

• 1 month later...

I am not at my own PC now. But you could try this:

mark the NPC in the CK Object list, then press Strg+F4. Then something like "export face textures" will appear, say yes and have a look at her again. Worked for me with custom made NPC.

Oh, thanks for that: I wondered why the odd change to NPC faces wasn't showing up in-game! I thought it was a lost cause until I read that. Eventually found the resulting NIFs hiding in meshes/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Skyrim.esm; I wonder why it does that? I guess the previous versions must be embedded in one of the masters or BSAs and not done on the fly as with Oblivion.

It seems to be broken.

The only way I can get it to create the face textures now is to convert the plugin to an ESM, load that up, make a change to the face, then CTRL + F4. And even that is sort of flunky if you have other faces already in there.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems to be broken.

The only way I can get it to create the face textures now is to convert the plugin to an ESM, load that up, make a change to the face, then CTRL + F4. And even that is sort of flunky if you have other faces already in there.

That's what used to be the case when we brought the issue to Bethesda's attention during the CK beta. The problem was fixed since then in CK 1.5.24.

Good to know, none of my NPCs have that checked, which is probably why fixing them in CK 1.5.24 produced a working result. That was definitely not working prior to that update though.

I did not update since February 29th, my Creation Kit shows the version 1.4.23.0 and the NPC face bug Fix works for me, so obviously it was fixed then already ;)

Edited by Tamira

• 2 months later...

@ Willie, I updated my game and CK some days ago and I have version 1.6.89 too of the CK meanwhile.

I just tried it out myself, created a new NPC, but did not try to use the ctrl + F4 first. Saved, shut CK. Then started the CK again, picked the new NPC, used ctrl + F4 as usual and saved. Full success here and the mesh and textures in the FaceGenData are there too.

:shrug: