DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Graphic Artistry: Lesson #3

InsanitySorrow

• 6 months later...

Good stuff Ron, you can move onto Lesson #3 :)

Problem GA Lesson #3

All seemed to go well, until Part Five: Prepping the NIF. Even then it initially seem fine, until the part of the path for the .dds prior to the “Textures†was deleted. Then the cube went totally white.

Remove portion:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\

Full paths are as follow:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\Textures\Clutter\GraphicArtistry

Containing:

BuildyBlock.dds and BuildyBlock_n.dds

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\Meshes\Clutter\GraphicArtistry

Containing:

BuildyBlock.nif

Returning the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\†causes the cube

to return to the expected cube and paper textures. I left it in that condition and proceeded in CK.

All seemed well in CK until the aaGABuildyBlock01 was dropped in-game. It is totally jet Black.

Hopefully, you can offer guidance on this.

Ron

Post belongs in lesson #3 :)

Sorry about that.....

Go back and follow the class again, you need to remove everything before "Textures\". The model will go white because you don't have Nifskope setup to automatically find textures. You can do that through Render>Settings, there is an option for setting texture folder paths.

Still fails. NifSkope at Render>Settings gives notice "No supported games, were detected. Your game may still work, you will just have to set the folders manually until an auto-detect routine is created."

After that I did try the Custom [Add Folder] function from C: all the way to ...Data/textures and the same for Meshes trying the manual method, but it failed, too. What I fail to understand is why this fails while in Lesson #2, NifSkope had no problems with my shortening paths down to textures?

I'll keep trying things and let you know if I find any solution.

====>>> Up Date 20:07 USA EST

I went to NifTools and stepped through the Manual Setting steps. I added 4 separate paths from C:/.../Data; through C:/.../GraphicArtistry

It seems to have fixed the problem - "textures\clutter\graphicartistry\buildyblock.dds" maintains the texture on the Cube in NifSkope.

Thanks for your help.... I'll go back to working on the Lesson materials.

====>>> Up Date 21:45 USA EST

As I said above, the NifSkope step all matches the lesson details. Even reloading brings out all the data as it should be, etc.

In CK, all steps and views match those shown in the lesson examples, aaGABuildyBlock01 is created and the only Warning issued by CK is that there is no environmental map. Nonetheless, the cube when dragged into the game comes in as jet black.?

The only abnormally that I noted in earlier steps was that GIMP offers no Max RGB in making the Normal Map settings, and indeed only offered me one option, that of Average RGB. Nonetheless the Normal Map look as it should.

In summary, all appears as it should until the the totally black cube shows up in the game. I cannot offer any course of action, save waiting for suggestions.

Ron

Edited by RonRay33

My painting tutorial has a section for normal maps, it's using an older version of GIMP but should be helpful - http://tesalliance.o...-creation-gimp/

I checked my copy of the NIF and it shows up fine and not had any other reports either :huh:, Not sure why it's showing up black.

==========

I tried sending from http://tesalliance.o...-creation-gimp/ yesterday, but msg said it required "review".

I went through the above Tut up to "So go ahead and Download TES4Archive," but that link drops me at "Ron's Desktop" with no DL in site. Thus, it appears a dead end, as per finishing the Tut.

Thanks, IS. I don't have OBMM, but if it comes to that, I will try to deal with OBMM, as well. Right now, I am going through GAL#3 from scratch (removed all previous work to a Hold directory) and I'm working with PS CS2, with no GIMP usage this time. It will take a while, but I will let you know how this comes out.

If you do find another source for the TES4Archive, I do want to finish that Painting exercise, later.

============== Update 5:22 PM EST

Tam said she, too had my 'Black Box' in the CK environment, but not in-game lighting. All my problems disappeared when I clicked the Toggle Lights (A) button in CK.... :woohoo:Thanks for all the time you gave to my stupidity :blush:

============== Update 10:30 PM EST

I was given a copy of the TES4Archive - Version 1.1, just wanted you to know you wouldn't need to waste time trying to find one for me.

Ron

Edited by RonRay33