DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Major Site Change: 2012 Upgrade

DarkRider

Oh, the dragon's have their hardhats on, time for some feedback. :)

First off, I love everything about this site. It's easy to use and navigate, it has a cozy feeling and I hope the upgrade isn't too different to have to get used to again.

Comments on Khett's ideas/comments;

- "A way to track file feedback without starting a wipz/relz thread." Yes, please, allow a way to be notified of said comments. Also, please fix the file comments box .... it's a mess since last upgrade.

- "Perhaps having a "Relz" thread auto-generated at upload time into a separate forum" Seconded.

- "Being able to order and caption file screenshots" Seconded. The randomness is confusing when I upload pics in a certain order but they don't get put in that order.

- "The tutorials and blogs feel detached from the rest of the forums." Agreed. This is a learning site and tutorials should be front and center yet the category is hidden in a vague drop down box called "more". :huh: (blogs I'm not concerned about)

- "Trying to find a user's content via their profile is inconsistent and clunky." Agree with every point made there.

Improvements;

- Comments on gallery pics. Please allow a way of in-line notification of a comment rather than just by email. It's annoying.

- Latest Gallery Images box... make the thumbnails consistent size, some pics distort the entire box. Perhaps even smaller thumbnails and perhaps even then could have more than 5 images showing at a time. Also, as I always sit on the "Forums" page to chat often times I have images I'd rather not see forced at me until I close the box because of the location of the Gallery box on the page. I would much rather it be lowered on the page so I can go see it if I want to, not have it in my face all the time.

- The "View New Content" link is small and out of the way, shoved in a corner so to speak. It should be more prominent.

- The Search function on the bottom bar of the site seems non-functional to me. I can enter a word there, choose the forum to search in, click the go button and it just takes me to a generic search page where I have to enter all the information again. So it's a moot function in the bar.

- Shoutbox. Wondering if it's possible to add more "preferences" like font style, font size, font colour?

Ok, that's all I can think of at the moment. :)

- "A way to track file feedback without starting a wipz/relz thread." Yes, please, allow a way to be notified of said comments. Also, please fix the file comments box .... it's a mess since last upgrade.

File comments are fixed and notifications are possible from a profile setting :)

- "Perhaps having a "Relz" thread auto-generated at upload time into a separate forum" Seconded.
We could do this now but didn't want to force RELz threads on users, but if that's something folks would like to see, it's easily done :salute:

- "Being able to order and caption file screenshots" Seconded. The randomness is confusing when I upload pics in a certain order but they don't get put in that order.
Images now upload in the order you upload them. There's a bulk flash uploader so you can see the images you are uploading, and you have a chance to bulk edit caption, descriptions, etc before finalizing your upload. :good:

- "The tutorials and blogs feel detached from the rest of the forums." Agreed. This is a learning site and tutorials should be front and center yet the category is hidden in a vague drop down box called "more". :huh: (blogs I'm not concerned about)
Doable an a good point to boot :ok:

- "Trying to find a user's content via their profile is inconsistent and clunky." Agree with every point made there.
This should be much improved for you :)

- Comments on gallery pics. Please allow a way of in-line notification of a comment rather than just by email. It's annoying.
This may not be possible, but we'll look into it.

- Latest Gallery Images box... make the thumbnails consistent size, some pics distort the entire box. Perhaps even smaller thumbnails and perhaps even then could have more than 5 images showing at a time. Also, as I always sit on the "Forums" page to chat often times I have images I'd rather not see forced at me until I close the box because of the location of the Gallery box on the page. I would much rather it be lowered on the page so I can go see it if I want to, not have it in my face all the time.
The box can be collapsed and scrolled now, so you can flip off images if you don't want to see them. We can only put it at the top or bottom of the index though and we have files at the bottom already, so it will have to stay at the top.

- The "View New Content" link is small and out of the way, shoved in a corner so to speak. It should be more prominent.
This will be an actual button :highfive:

- The Search function on the bottom bar of the site seems non-functional to me. I can enter a word there, choose the forum to search in, click the go button and it just takes me to a generic search page where I have to enter all the information again. So it's a moot function in the bar.
This...boggles me. That search works just fine for me, what browser do you use?

- Shoutbox. Wondering if it's possible to add more "preferences" like font style, font size, font colour?

If you know the codes you can use them now, but just like now, the full editor is only available on the shoutbox page not the global shouty, I think it's a spacing issue. But the new shoutbox can also pop out like our jukebox, and the pop out DOES use a full editor. :popcorn:

File comments are fixed and notifications are possible from a profile setting :)

We could do this now but didn't want to force RELz threads on users, but if that's something folks would like to see, it's easily done :salute:

I would like to see this as well, it would be a great help for the folks that have a hard time just keeping up with normal threads and their WIPz threads.

If you know the codes you can use them now, but just like now, the full editor is only available on the shoutbox page not the global shouty, I think it's a spacing issue. But the new shoutbox can also pop out like our jukebox, and the pop out DOES use a full editor. :popcorn:

To further extend this, I'd like to see iDevice and Android apps for the shout box alone.

Having to be on the main site with the theme (all the images, thread sections, etc) it uses up quite a bit of bandwidth. So I would like to have an app specifically for the Shouty. I'm sure it could be done if someone know the API's of both types.

It could be text only and I'd be happy.

File comments are fixed and notifications are possible from a profile setting

Ok, the comments on uploaded files is fixed, even if it is a little strange looking. At least I can see the cursor now :lol: But please enlighten me on where to set notification? I've just relooked at all the notification options and it's not jumping out at me.

If you know the codes you can use them now, but just like now, the full editor is only available on the shoutbox page not the global shouty, I think it's a spacing issue.

Sorry, not what I meant. I do realize it can be done for "input" ... I meant more of a "how I see the shoutbox" option, for example, I want to view all text in the shoutbox as Times New Roman font, or Tahoma font. Probably not doable so I'll let it go. XD

This...boggles me. That search works just fine for me, what browser do you use?

Tried it again, and yes it works. :shrug: Probably just my own error.

Ok, the comments on uploaded files is fixed, even if it is a little strange looking. At least I can see the cursor now :lol: But please enlighten me on where to set notification? I've just relooked at all the notification options and it's not jumping out at me.

No I meant these things on the upgraded version, you wont see that strange looking behavior and you'll have notifications on the upgraded board, not now :P

Sorry, not what I meant. I do realize it can be done for "input" ... I meant more of a "how I see the shoutbox" option, for example, I want to view all text in the shoutbox as Times New Roman font, or Tahoma font. Probably not doable so I'll let it go. XD

Oh, yeah that's not possible for users to choose the font/colors they view the board in. :no:

On the subject of auto-generated RELz threads, I'd hope such a thing would be made optional for those of us who keep our RELz threads in one spot.

The only other thing I can think of off hand is in the file area. When you're uploading images, there's a tooltip that shows up while hovering the ones that are already uploaded. It says something like "make this the primary image". Clicking on that never does anything and the default image for the mod is never changed. Hopefully that's been fixed somehow :P

Right, it usually happens this way. I'll be odd man out. I don't really want a RELZ thread forced on me. >.>

Perhaps a way for a selection to be made, create RELZ thread? Y/N

Pop out shouty with full editor sounds really nice! :clap:

I'll go to my room now. :lol:

The only other thing I can think of off hand is in the file area. When you're uploading images, there's a tooltip that shows up while hovering the ones that are already uploaded. It says something like "make this the primary image". Clicking on that never does anything and the default image for the mod is never changed. Hopefully that's been fixed somehow :P

The primary image selection on files has been fixed in the upgrade yes :yes:

What I meant about file feedback tracking was a way to aggregate it all on one page somehow, so we could see at a glance if any new feedback had been posted. The only notification option I see that seems relevant is "Notify me of new comments", but that isn't just for files, and I also don't want notifications so much as just a page I can check. Like an RSS feed, you know? Or even just under My Settings > Downloads, having a "Last Comment" sortable column would be ideal.

As for Relz threads, yeah, I meant as an option, not a forced thing. A tickbox. :) Maybe if I choose to have a Relz thread, file feedback could get redirected there to keep things streamlined, the file page could just display the last few replies with a "Read More" button that goes to the thread. This would make it a lot easier for modders to offer support at TESA for more complex mods, I think. That's the only facet of the site I've ever felt was lacking, so I'm just tossing out ideas for it.

Actually that sounds like a good idea to me too. File comments are more or less a black box here since you've got no real tracking on whether you have them or not.

I suppose it depends on how easily the backend software can be modified, unless IPB has the ability to do this already and we just don't know it :P

Update: Looks like we're ready to roll tomorrow at some point. Please note, we will need to take the site down for approximately 1-2 hours to do the actual upgrade and software installations. Once everything is installed the site will be in some disarray, but we'll bring her back online. We'll then continue the upgrade on a live board. We appreciate your understanding as we get things squared away.

I will post an announcement here and on the shoutbox just before we go offline. :salute:

Update: A couple last minute buglets and some RL hangups effectively derailed our upgrade today, sorry kids. XD Looks like we'll roll tomorrow, I'll be taking the site offline from 1:30p-3:30p EST. Remember when it comes back it will be a shambles, but I'll be working on it all day and probably into Saturday as well. Please excuse our dust and refrain from posting bug reports until the thread is opened for them. Thanks :salute:

Update: As you can see the community is back online. Please note again, this upgrade is far from complete, in fact it's only just begun. All we've done at this point is update all the software and add the new software modifications we've been working on. There is a lot of skin work, some forum shifting/updating, and severel permission masks and settings that need to be meted out. Please don't explore too much, we're not bug hunting yet and some features that are on now, may be going away based on our design plan for the site, so I wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up :lmao:

You're free to use the boards, galleries, downloads, and shoutbox but please excuse our dust as we continue upgrading the site. :construction:

Update: Calling it a night here. We'll resume the upgrade tomorrow. Just a reminder this upgrade is going to span a couple more days yet at least and we are not accepting bug reports until we have completed our to-do list because at this stage odds are GREAT that what you discovered, is already on our list. :D Once we take down the construction logo and open a bug report topic we'll be happy to investigate your bugs. Do feel free to post your general comments in the meantime though. :)