DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

How can I track what spells are cast on an activator by script?

Sigurd Stormhand

OK, the situation is this. As part of a quest I want to "experiment" on a rock by casting a shock shield and then ranged shock spell on it - then the quest should update.

I know you can use script effect spells on corpses, doors, etc. but I'm not sure about activators.

The sequnce of events needs to go like this.

1. Player and mage arrive at location - quest updates.

2. Mage gives player two scrolls, one shock shield, one ranged shock spell, asks player to cast on rock - quest updates.

3. Player casts shock shield on rock - quest updates?

4. Player casts ranged shock on rock - quest updates.

5. Mage tells player how interesting that was, quest updates.

I'm clear on how stages 1,2 and 5 will work, but not how to get from 2 to 4.

Thoughts?

Invisible (physivally and mapwise) automatic door with no teleport to use as the activator?

You can use a couple of OnMagicEffectHit blocks on the activator. Example

scn Whatever

BEGIN ONMAGICEFFECTHIT LISH    ; LISH is the effect code for shock shield

if ( GetStage MyQuest == 30 )

SetStage MyQuest 40

endif

END

BEGIN ONMAGICEFFECTHIT SHDG    ; SHDG is the effect code for shock damage

if ( GetStage MyQuest == 40 )

SetStage MyQuest 50

endif

END

Note that this block does not differentiate between touch and ranged effects. If it is mission critical that only a ranged effect should update the quest, there is a rather complex, indirect way of doing it involving getting the reference of every missile launched from the player... I'll have to dig it up if you really need it. :)

Edited by Lanceor

Note that this block does not differentiate between touch and ranged effects. If it is mission critical that only a ranged effect should update the quest, there is a rather complex, indirect way of doing it involving getting the reference of every missile launched from the player... I'll have to dig it up if you really need it. :)

Or you could just put the activator somewhere the player can't reach. :P

Edited by ThomasKaira

You can use a couple of OnMagicEffectHit blocks on the activator. Example

scn Whatever

BEGIN ONMAGICEFFECTHIT LISH	; LISH is the effect code for shock shield

if ( GetStage MyQuest == 30 )

SetStage MyQuest 40

endif

END

BEGIN ONMAGICEFFECTHIT SHDG	; SHDG is the effect code for shock damage

if ( GetStage MyQuest == 40 )

SetStage MyQuest 50

endif

END

Ah, thank you, that is exactly what I wanted. It does need to be a ranged spell, but that can be taken care of with a distance check in this case - it's less about the rock and more about the water it's in.